News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

QUANTUMZ?! IN MY NEWTONIAN PHYSICS???

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, March 22, 2010, 05:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So physicists at UCSB have created a 'large' system, ie something visible to the human eye and successfully produced results that are congruent with the laws of quantum mechanics.

QuoteThe researchers demonstrated that, once cooled, the mechanical resonator followed the laws of quantum mechanics. They were able to create a single phonon, the quantum of mechanical vibration, which is the smallest unit of vibrational energy, and watch as this quantum of energy exchanged between the mechanical resonator and the qubit. While exchanging this energy, the qubit and resonator become "quantum entangled," such that measuring the qubit forces the mechanical resonator to "choose" the vibrational state in which it should remain.

In a related experiment, they placed the mechanical resonator in a quantum superposition, a state in which it simultaneously had zero and one quantum of excitation. This is the energetic equivalent of an object being in two places at the same time. The researchers showed that the resonator again behaved as expected by quantum theory.

We're still talking about something the size of a human hair... but after this many physicists now question if there is actually an 'upper limit' to the physical size of quantum entanglement or waveforms.

Here's the press release: http://www.ia.ucsb.edu/pa/display.aspx?pkey=2200
Here's the NPR story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124820013

Still nothing on how it explains MAGJICKS, but it does provide some evidence that we may understand less about physics than we thought.

:fnord:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

I have complete assurance from a nationally-recognized physicist that we know FUCK ALL about physics.

But that's why they keep working at it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on March 22, 2010, 05:18:12 PM
I have complete assurance from a nationally-recognized physicist that we know FUCK ALL about physics.

:lulz:

Amen! Though it will change my "Quantumz is not majik" argument some; since previously I predicated it on being a model of very tiny things which didn't seem to apply to the 'world of stuff we can see'.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 22, 2010, 05:27:33 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 22, 2010, 05:18:12 PM

:lulz:

Amen! Though it will change my "Quantumz is not majik" argument some; since previously I predicated it on being a model of very tiny things which didn't seem to apply to the 'world of stuff we can see'.

I will make that quark do what it's supposed to do.

Dok,
Quantum Mechanic.  May or may not be done on time, though.  Don't look over my shoulder while I'm working.
Molon Lube

LMNO

DOK HOWL,
KOLLAPSING YR WAVE STATE.  WIFF A PIPE WRENCH.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Dok, I think the problem is that the idiots were using metric!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on March 22, 2010, 05:49:32 PM
DOK HOWL,
KOLLAPSING YR WAVE STATE.  WIFF A PIPE WRENCH.

Yeah, but you need a really small pair of tweezers to hold the bastards still while you whomp on 'em.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I'd actually love to see a pic of you with a pair of needle-nose tweezers in one hand, and a ten-poung ballpeen hammer in the other, hunched over a microscope.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on March 22, 2010, 06:11:48 PM
I'd actually love to see a pic of you with a pair of needle-nose tweezers in one hand, and a ten-poung ballpeen hammer in the other, hunched over a microscope.

..I may be able to arrange that...
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Welding goggles/mask optional, but suggested.