News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Meditation.

Started by Ob_Portu, July 03, 2010, 08:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Cain on July 04, 2010, 09:33:09 AM
There is a Buddhist meditation where you concentrate on death and destruction.  I cant remember exactly what it is called though.

It's a type of contemplative meditation. The most often one is meditation on the series of decay that corpses go through, from just after death to where the bones turn to dust, and all the foulness in between. The purpose is to remove attachment to the body, and realize its impermanence.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Ob_Portu

Yeah I've tried most of those meditations and agree on the usefulness of them..

Just wondering if others found the same.

I find myself more open and loving, compassionate, afterwards.

That could just be a result of being calmer though. :mrgreen:
I'm not crazy, I'm perturbed.

Telarus

The effects of Western Society:

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/05/psychological-resear.html

Psychological research and WEIRD nations
David Pescovitz at 12:20 PM Monday, Jul 5, 2010

A new University of British Columbia psychological study used a new acronym to help explain why results from behavioral studies on people in Western nations don't usually represent the rest of the world. It's because we're WEIRD ("Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich and Democratic.") The research is in the scientific journals Nature and Behavioral and Brain Sciences. From the UBC:
Quote"The foundations of human psychology and behavior have been built almost exclusively on research conducted on subjects from WEIRD societies," says UBC Psychology and Economics Prof. Joe Henrich, who led the study with UBC co-authors Prof. Steven Heine and Prof. Ara Norenzayan. "While students from Western nations are a convenient, low-cost data pool, our findings suggest that they are also among the least representative populations one could find for generalizing about humans."

The study, which reviews the comparative database of research from across the behavioural sciences, finds that subjects from WEIRD societies are more individualistic, analytic, concerned with fairness, existentially anxious and less conforming and [less] attentive to context compared to those from non-WEIRD societies.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

SuperNull

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 05, 2010, 06:50:22 AM
Quote from: SuperNull on July 04, 2010, 09:13:03 AMThere are some long-term unfortunate side effects though. Once you can distance yourself form your own emotions and ego-centric thinking well enough, you begin to see what a thoughtless and instinct-driven monkey everyone is, including yourself.
This kind of makes it hard to to be too bothered about anything. You lose your passions.

if this was your experience, and you felt it was unfortunate, it sounds more like a problem with you, than as a long-term side effect of meditation.

i might suggest you'd either deal with those problems through meditation, or in some other way.

and otherwise, boo hoo.

I'm not complaining. Stuff is as it is.
Just pointing out that if you become more calm and observant you also become less involved and distant.
If people know and love as a raging asshole, then being meditative will have some social consequences ;)

Placid Dingo

Quote from: SuperNull on July 06, 2010, 06:39:42 AM
Quote from: Triple Zero on July 05, 2010, 06:50:22 AM
Quote from: SuperNull on July 04, 2010, 09:13:03 AMThere are some long-term unfortunate side effects though. Once you can distance yourself form your own emotions and ego-centric thinking well enough, you begin to see what a thoughtless and instinct-driven monkey everyone is, including yourself.
This kind of makes it hard to to be too bothered about anything. You lose your passions.

if this was your experience, and you felt it was unfortunate, it sounds more like a problem with you, than as a long-term side effect of meditation.

i might suggest you'd either deal with those problems through meditation, or in some other way.

and otherwise, boo hoo.

I'm not complaining. Stuff is as it is.
Just pointing out that if you become more calm and observant you also become less involved and distant.
If people know and love as a raging asshole, then being meditative will have some social consequences ;)

I suspect if you don't know how to be passionate in a manner that isn't angry, this may be the case for a while. I think it's worthwhile to explore different avenues for continuing your passion, while being more calm and better adjusted, rather that rejecting the whole thing as counterproductive.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This could be one of the most spoiled, self-indulgent and oddly smug conversations ever to take place on the internet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

^
|
This could be one of the most spoiled, self-indulgent and oddly smug posts ever to take place on the internet.

:troll:

AFK

"Hearing this, the man was enlightened"
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: Ob_Portu on July 03, 2010, 08:45:57 PM
Useful? Not useful?

Useful, depending on your goal. 

QuoteExamples, descriptions..

Go for a walk somewhere quiet.  Utilize any hiking trails, state parks, etc. you may have in the area.  Just hang out in nature for an hour or so.  Maybe take a pad of paper along if you like to write or draw.  Or maybe an instrument you play. 

If you can, go without a cell phone or other wireless/technological device.  The more detached you are from the hustle and bustle of the "real world" the better.  If you must take one, turn it off so it doesn't ring. 

A little solitude amongst the quiet of nature can be very therapeutic.  Plus, the physical exercise will help as well. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

Quote from: RWHN on July 06, 2010, 05:58:14 PM
"Hearing this, the man was enlightened"

Around here, the traditional ending to any proper koan should be

"Upon hearing this, the man decided to start huffing nail polish."