Unlimited Unemployment FAIL thread.

Started by Suu, March 23, 2010, 08:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alethias

If you have a w2, either the w2 is a fraudulent piece of paper or RI is lying to you and trying to fuck you over.  The W2 has a federal tax id # for your former employer, and you can skip the state and take that straight to the IRS and they can verify if your income was reported or not.  If it was, then you can present evidence to the state backing your claim.

The other possibility is that the employer got a Federal Tax ID # and didn't bother contacting the state to get one.  Some employers seem to have this weird idea in their heads that the federal Tax ID # is sufficient, and it really isn't in most states.  Look at your w2 and see if it has a seperate tax ID # for state vs. federal.  if it doesn't, that might be the problem.

My 9 months of unemployment will be over on monday.  At least colorado or my former bosses didn't try to burn me on this one.
ETA: Just read your last post.  so it was the employer not sending the info to the state.  figures.

Suu

So now, even as they get all of my information, it will probably still take WEEKS to get any money from them. However, I'd be damned if I don't go out without a fight.

They aren't winning this time.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Also, I wonder if my employers know that they're about to get fucked six ways from Sunday for this. Not reporting income to the state is a serious NO-NO.

It also makes me question the validity of my W-2.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Alethias

Quote from: Suu on March 24, 2010, 09:11:05 PM
Also, I wonder if my employers know that they're about to get fucked six ways from Sunday for this. Not reporting income to the state is a serious NO-NO.

It also makes me question the validity of my W-2.
It's a bad enough no-no to get the business shut down and someone to go to jail over it, so ya, they are royally fucked.  Depending on the length of an investigation, it could take you a while to get your money, but even without an investigation normally for this type of correction in most places its 6-8 weeks.

Your W-2 is valid even if written on a napkin or sheet of notepaper as long as it has all the right info.  Back in the 70's, I was a gas station attendant in Oregon.  The manager printed out our W-2s on receipt tape, and it was perfectly legal since it had the tax id #'s and all the wages and deductions listed with their appropriate W-2 line number.  Looking back, I think he did it just to be funny, but I never got the joke.  He was the bishop of the local Mormon stake, and taught in the High School as well as having 7 kids and another on the way when i graduated.  The man needed to put a little humor in his life somehow.  I think he did it by doing weird shit like that.

Suu

Well, from what I understand from my claims rep (yes, I have my own special claims rep who's super nice. He even gave me his personal line #. I was impressed.) as long as they can have the proof they need for my income, ie: W2 and quarterly reports from my employer, they should have enough to process my claim. SO! As long as the owners actually faxed the shit over like my former manager ordered them to do, then we're good. But, as a backup, my former manager has every last bit of payroll backed up on her home PC for just such a shitty owner faux pas.

I have all my information, so now it's just RI doing their job.