Main Menu

PD.com is sick.

Started by Dr. Paes, March 25, 2010, 03:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Paes

But don't worry. Dr Paes is here.
Say "ahhhh."
Alright, alright, you can stop now.
There's definitely nothing wrong with your ability to make noise.

Let's test your reflexes.
*Thwack*
Well, fuck. That's the most intense knee-jerk reaction I've seen in a long time.

Your temperature is pretty normal.
You blood pressure is high, but no higher than it has been the in past.

My diagnosis? Hypochondriasis... or some form of extreme medical students disease.
It's really not surprising, considering all the sickness you're exposed to, that you started to see a little of it in yourself...

You've built up a sort of overactive immunity to pinealism, that you see it in the most innocent nonsense.
You've been so critical of other communities' modus operandi that any deviation from what you perceive to be the correct way to function is immediately attacked.
I'm afraid you've been so exposed to the concept of a REALLY REAL DISCORDIAN, that despite still denying the existence of such a thing, you've begun to believe it.

And after identifying these situations as issues, you've attacked them, of course.
THIS IS A NO NONSENSE ZONE.  LIFE IS HARD, WEAR A HELMET AND STFU.  MOAR CONTENT ITT.

But on further examination of the arguments you've made, you see the sickness in them as well. It's spreading.
You begin to battle the turncoats, with satirical representations of them. Take their power from them by turning them into jokes. A handful of "anti-fluff" threads pop up, the sickness is immediately identified and targetted wherever it appears.
Regions of the board which are not yet sick have been preemptively attacked... and still, the sickness spreads!

Metatopics spread, attacking the functioning of this immune system, recognising it as the sickness also.
But, oh! The sickness exists in these also!
So much effort is put into destroying this foreign invader that the content being protected goes down as a casualty of war.
Nobody has any time to produce a solution, because they're too busy fighting the problem.

And there are no signs of improvement, just more and more stress about how ineffective this battle has been, leading to less thought going into how to battle the problems we are seeing.
Because worrying about the sickness is the cancer that is killing PD.com.

My professional opinion?
Stop taking medicine for illnesses you don't have.

Trust me. I'm a doctor.

NotPublished

Will PD be able to play Soccer again Doctor?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

FUCK YOU DOC! I NEED THIS OXYCODONE FOR MY BACK!

East Coast Hustle

Once again, everyone wants to open their mouth without having used their eyes properly beforehand.

could someone please point me to where anyone said that an overabundance of fluff/pinealism/whatever was the problem with PD?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BADGE OF HONOR

FFS get that stick out of your ass before you explode.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

I mean, just because people aren't talking exactly about what you want to talk about doesn't mean they're fucking stupid, or can't read.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Dr. Paes

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 25, 2010, 07:22:19 AM
Once again, everyone wants to open their mouth without having used their eyes properly beforehand.

could someone please point me to where anyone said that an overabundance of fluff/pinealism/whatever was the problem with PD?
It appears to Dr. Paes that you think this thread is specifically referring to the topics you created and the ensuing drama over what is apparently a misinterpretation of your point.

References to the suggestion that fluff vs content is the issue are all over the board. I use them as an example of whatever it is I was trying to describe with the OP*, not as the main focus. I'm not saying that you said that fluff/content was the issue.  You've made it clear enough that this wasn't your point. I'm not actually just referring to the problems identified or the issues recently raised in your topics, either. I'm not saying "ECH was right about what the problem is. Here is another way of looking at his point." nor am I saying "ECH is wrong, here is why."

Though reference is made to events which may have been caused by your "Roger, turns out you were right" thread, I am not actually replying to you personally or starting a thread to discuss what you think the problem is.
Maybe you understand that and I've missed your point, but... just sayin'.

*Probably something about how discussion of issues we're having explodes all over the board and makes a huge mess, rarely fixing the issue which goes away by itself after a while.

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make it about me or my thread, I just honestly can't remember having seen anywhere recently where anyone was saying that the problem with PD was the fluff/content ratio. Though I truly like your writing, Paes, it just seems to me as though this one is muddling the issue rather than clarifying it.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 25, 2010, 07:27:30 AM

:lulz:

Pot calling kettle, much?

ECH,
think you might not be stupid, but your reading comprehension could use some work

Richter

Everyone needs an enema, EOT.

...and ANOTHER enema!
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Doktor Howl

Be the board you want to see.

This is the closest thing to a market-driven board you'll ever see.  If the board isn't delivering, whose fault is that?  It's not like we're running around deleting or locking threads we don't like, or banning people for how they post.

You want content, then POST content and maybe READ the content other people DO post.  It's there, even if you have to wade through 30 threads of live journal stuff to get to it.  Nobody is forcing you to read things you don't enjoy, and it's not like you're going to find much better out there. 
Molon Lube

LMNO

Also,

"Ask interesting questions, get interesting answers."

Creating something interesting is awesome.  Inviting other people to also create something interesting is exciting.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 25, 2010, 03:41:12 PM

ECH,
think you might not be stupid, but your reading comprehension could use some work

So let me see if I've got this right.  Paes makes a post about how talking about what is "wrong" with PD only serves to worsen the drama.  You explode all over the place about how "fluff vs content" isn't the real problem.  And I'm the one with reading comprehension problems? 

Wasn't there some mention about overbearing egos getting in the way of things just recently...?

NWC

I love this thread. OP, and then what Doc and LMNO just said are all great. Even if I barely post anymore, I still read almost everything on here everyday, and Dr. Paes's diagnosis put into words some of my thoughts.

That's also part of the reason why I don't post as much anymore(I also fell out of the habit when I didn't have internet), cos I don't want to be attacked over (mis)interpretations of what I say. I have nothing but the utmost respect for you guys that I read every day, but I feel like more and more lately there's a lack of (please excuse the technical term) pronesis in peoples' reactions, it's more of an immediate attack.

You guys are the some of the most interesting and in some cases smart people I "know", but when smart people know they're smart, they tend to not question themselves.

And now, baby platypi!:

cos that's what's really important in life.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 25, 2010, 06:18:05 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 25, 2010, 03:41:12 PM

ECH,

So let me see if I've got this right.  Paes makes a post about how talking about what is "wrong" with PD only serves to worsen the drama.  You explode all over the place about how "fluff vs content" isn't the real problem.  And I'm the one with reading comprehension problems? 

Wasn't there some mention about overbearing egos getting in the way of things just recently...?

Paes characterized the genesis of the drama as posters being upset that there was too much fluff. I was taking issue with that characterization.

So, to answer your question, yes, you are the one with reading comprehension problems.