News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

YUOR APPLESAUCE IS MADE OF CORN!

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, March 25, 2010, 05:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, there's something offputting about the taste of HFCS vs. sucrose to me. I feel like sucrose has a fuller-bodied, less cloying flavor. I love the Mexican coke from the taqueria up the street so much more than American coke!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Out of nowhere like an hour ago I went to the corner mart and grabbed a coke.  I never do this.  Drank it, and yeah.  My mouth feels like I've been spraying primer in a broom closet with no mask on.

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 28, 2010, 12:10:24 AM
Yeah, there's something offputting about the taste of HFCS vs. sucrose to me. I feel like sucrose has a fuller-bodied, less cloying flavor. I love the Mexican coke from the taqueria up the street so much more than American coke!

The Mexican cokes are much much better tasting than the American ones.
These are pretty much the only sodas I still drink.

the last yatto

you have to factor that some of that is glass vs metal
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Jasper

I never really taste metal.  Dunno why.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I usually only buy Coke in glass bottles. Still tastes different from the Mexican coke.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Mexican soda in general doesn't put standards on how much caffeine and sugar you can put in, I think that's what I heard once. Or it has more of both in it. Maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Professor Freeky on March 28, 2010, 07:40:28 PM
Mexican soda in general doesn't put standards on how much caffeine and sugar you can put in, I think that's what I heard once. Or it has more of both in it. Maybe.

Coca-Cola has exacting standards for their recipes, and there are nutrition labels on the Mexicon coke that say exactly how much sugar and caffiene are in it. The difference is that Mexico doesn't subsidize corn so regular sugar is cheaper, and that's what goes into their sodas.

Freeky

Shibboleet The Annihilator

They've got the throwback sodas now, which have real actual honest-to-goodness refined sugar.

Bruno

I tried Mountain Dew Throwback and didn't like it as much as the new stuff.
Formerly something else...

I'm pretty sure Mountain Dew wasn't even around when they still used sugar in soda, but I never drank Mountain Dew and I don't even drink soda these days so I wouldn't really know.

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 27, 2010, 11:55:59 PM
It's sad, but a lot of research is not as rigorous as it could be.

Just read this

http://www.artofdrink.com/2008/10/hfcs-research.php

And it cites a fair number of research articles that challenge a lot of my previous prejudices about HFCS.

I still don't like HFCS, I like the taste of "real" sugar more. 

The way I see it, most things by themselves aren't that bad in moderation but when it's in fucking EVERYTHING, it starts to pose a health hazard regardless of what it is. I'd bet you $5,000 you that if you consume too much HFCS, it can't be good for you. You combine that with the sedentary lifestyle most of us have and that can't end well.

Jasper

I'm with you there, given certain exceptions like Polonium 210, meth, and deadly anal zucchini.  It seems like HFCS isn't really a good thing, but mainly because its in literally everything.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I can't help but laugh at those commercials "what that it's made from corn? has the same calories as sugar and is fine in moderation?"
Please. There is no moderation when it's in your bread, your canned tomatoes and soups, your applesauce, your hummus, all your soft drinks and snacky things everything everywhere.

I cut out HFCS last year and when it's in something I can definitely taste it. It's gross. I actually prefer the sweetener that they say gives you cancer to the taste of that stuff.

Mr Squid was drinking a sugar free something at work the other day and a co-worker walked by and said "that stuff is bad for you ya know" and he looked at the rock star she had in her hand and said "yeah well that'll give you diabetes and make you fat".

Studies have shown that your body gets confused when trying to digest HFCS and instead of creating subcutaneous fat like regular sugar, it distributes the fat around your organs. It also inhibits the receptors in your stomach that tell you you're full which is why when you've had enough water your body says "I'm full" and you stop drinking it, but you can just keep drinking and drinking and drinking soda.

Sorry if this was all said already, I kinda just skimmed through here.
I really hate HFCS and that they market it as a preservative.
It has no business in tomato paste or hummus.
I'd like to see it go away.

I've been avoiding HFCS too and have found that exercise isn't as burdensome, it's easier to concentrate and I've been eating better food (mostly home-cooked). I don't know how much of this is a placebo effect, but if I feel better and am performing better I guess it doesn't really matter as far as practicality is concerned.