News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

YUOR APPLESAUCE IS MADE OF CORN!

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, March 25, 2010, 05:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

I work around thousands of gallons of HFCS everyday. AM I GOING TO DIE???  :x
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Requia ☣

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 27, 2010, 04:56:32 PM
I don't think that publicly posting the home address of someone because you don't like their commercials is a good idea. Also, this is Apple Talk, not OMF, which means it's indexed and will show up in Google searches.

Point, removed.

As for the problem, HFCS (or honey, same problem) fucks with chemicals that regulate hunger.  It really isn't bad for you in moderation, but eating it makes it much much harder to eat in moderation.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 27, 2010, 11:46:05 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2010/03/high-fructose-corn-syrup-hfcs-sugar-princeton-study.html

Ok, lets go through some of these criticisms...

Quote from: LA TimesNor is it clear why the effect would only be seen in rats that consumed HFCS for 12 hours a day but not those who were able to drink it 24 hours a day when both groups wound up drinking approximately the same amount overall.

Not true actually,
[quote = TFA]as our previous publications show limited (12 h) access to sucrose precipitates binge-eating
behavior (Avena et al., 2006).[/quote]

Quote from: LA Times
Complicating things further, the researchers cite a related study of female rats that found no difference in weight gain between animals that consumed HFCS or sugar over an eight-week period.

Ok, to start with, citing the people who came to opposite conclusion s as you is good practice, because it is vital to understand *why* they came to different conclusions.  However, this specific claim is a complete lie From the abstract of the study LA Times links to in the above quote:

Quote from: Light et all, 2009Of the different caloric sweeteners, only rats drinking HFCS-55 had greater (P < 0.05) final body weights and fat mass compared to the rats drinking ddH2O or glucose solution.

Quote from: LA TimesIn another phase of the Princeton study, the researchers found that rats allowed to drink the HFCS solution gained more weight over six months than rats with no access to a sweetened beverage. The difference was dramatic: rats with 24-hour access to HFCS gained 27% more weight than the rats stuck with chow only. But the researchers didn't include a third group of rats with access to sugar, so it's impossible to say whether HFCS was worse than regular sugar.

(Why didn't they test the long-term effects of sugar? The researchers said it wasn't necessary because sugar consumption didn't affect body weight in their first experiment. True, but neither did HFCS when made available for 24 hours a day, and they did test that.)

This one is true, the male half of the second experiment does not address the question of whether or not HFCS is worse than regular sugar, rather it addresses separate issues not relevant to the discussion at hand.  Only the first experiment need be considered for our purposes, further criticism of the male half of experiment two will be ignored as the entire experiment is irrelevant.

As for the female half... well, they're making the wrong criticisms there, there's no reason to be surprised that female's responded differently than males.  I'm gonna not pick LA times apart in the interest of not quoting the entire article and level my own criticisms against the Princeton article.

The female rats showed no significant difference in the 12 hour access groups for sucrose and HFCS.  From this is seems reasonable to conclude that the binge eating effect does not occur in female rats.

Secondly, as the 24 hour group did not have a sucrose counterpart, that part of the experiment is irrelevant, it is possible that different results will occur in a 24 hour access group for both HFCS and sucrose.  This would be consistent with the study linked in an above LA Times quote.

Conclusions

It is highly probable that intermittent access to HFCS causes male rats to gain weight in the short term.  Depending on the eating habits of human men, HFCS could have the same effect.

There is no evidence in this study to indicate that HFCS is dangerous to women.   However other studies have shown an increase in weight gain from HFCS-55 in female rats.  Again in human women, any danger is likely dependent on eating habits.

I have no idea how HFCS effects children.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 28, 2010, 12:10:24 AM
Yeah, there's something offputting about the taste of HFCS vs. sucrose to me. I feel like sucrose has a fuller-bodied, less cloying flavor. I love the Mexican coke from the taqueria up the street so much more than American coke!

THIS.  For some reason, it has a "cleaner" taste--which sounds really off-putting for a soft-drink, I agree, but I can't describe it any better than that.   I really can't STAND sugared drinks anymore, they set my teeth on edge, but the Mexican coke is really REALLY drinkable.

Jenne

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 29, 2010, 09:55:01 AM
[snip]

I have no idea how HFCS effects children.

Early onset of 1) obesity and 2) Type II Diabetes.  We have chapter-verse of it here at the Pediatrician's House.

LMNO

This is why I only drink beer and only eat steak.

LMNO
-scurvy can be fun!

Cain

I don't have a fucking clue what is in my soda, but I know Coca-Cola tastes like refined sugar avec caffeine, whereas most other brands (esp. store brands) actually taste nice.

Jenne

The Mexican Coke is just...softer?  But fizzy enough, it's just not like battery acid on your teeth.

Jenne

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 26, 2010, 07:50:28 PM
My applesauce is homemade :smug:

Seriously though, it's not too hard to avoid HFCS as long as you have a reasonable kitchen.  The worst thing is bread.  That's right, most commercial bread has HFCS in it.  Goddamned bread.  Solution?  Make your own! 

Orowheat has no corn syrup at all, and they make a big deal about it on their packaging.  It's the kind I buy when I can't get to Trader Blow's to get their fru-fru organic, 5 nuts for your butt kind.  We're big on stuffing as much fiber in the kids' cereal and bread as we can around these parts, so I try to find the heaviest fucking bread I can in the store and buy that.  If my kids ain't picking grains outta their teefs, they ain't eatin' it.

PeregrineBF

Italian Soda:
1 glass sparkling water.
splash of syrup (1-2oz) to taste.
Cream if desired, don't use cream with citrus syrups & such.
Stir. Drink.

None of the good syrup brands (Torani, Monin, etc) use HFCS. Prepackaged sodas don't have nearly as good a selection of flavours.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

This thread is so...

*sunglasses*

...corny.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.