News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

LHC now fully operational.

Started by Requia ☣, March 30, 2010, 12:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I'm looking forward to all the new textbooks that will have to be written when the LHC has done its job.

LMNO

Well, one of it's "jobs" is also to prove that the Higgs Boson doesn't exist...

I mean, the LHC is simply a prohibitively expensive experiment.  If they don't find anything, it still did what it was supposed to.

Jasper

I thought it was supposed to have many experiments lined up, the results of which are supposed to change (or add to, or strengthen) a lot of physics?  Like supersymmetry and various questions about EM forces?

LMNO

Well, yeah, but like the old saying goes, sometimes when you ask a question, the answer is "maybe".

Jasper

You seem to not have an especially rosy view of  the LHC.  Mind my asking why?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on March 31, 2010, 08:18:51 PM
Well, yeah, but like the old saying goes, sometimes when you ask a question, the answer is "maybe".

:potd:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 31, 2010, 08:24:54 PM
You seem to not have an especially rosy view of  the LHC.  Mind my asking why?

I think that the LHC is going to give us a fuckton of information.

I have no idea what that information is going to be.  Which, if you think about it, is the point.

Finding a new particle that is the fundamental building block of the universe would be a Black Swan.
But so would proof that such a particle can't possible exist.

Both results would fundamentally change QM.

So, I think you might be misinterpreting my statements.  If the LHC works, that's going to be awesome.  If it breaks, that will suck.

I'm not thinking that it will find the Higgs Boson, I'm thinking it will help clarify what might be going on.

Jasper

It has broken before, so yeah.  I see what you're saying.  Still, hearing about the LHC is really exciting.  Just that we've even built it is, to me, really special.  That we can use it to learn about the basic facts of reality is just unbelievable.  I'm kind of a fanboy, come to think about it.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Let's say the LHC finds something that indicates a higgs boson couldn't exist. That indicates that our model of QM is pretty broken, doesn't it? Since a big chunk of it revolves around the assumption that the higgs boson exists (from what little I understand -- maybe it's the media up-playing the importance of a mystery particle with a cool name). Which would actually be a good thing: everything we actually use QM for will still work the same way it has, but there will be a lot more potential work in generating new models and testing them.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

NotPublished

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 31, 2010, 08:39:28 PM
It has broken before, so yeah.  I see what you're saying.  Still, hearing about the LHC is really exciting.  Just that we've even built it is, to me, really special.  That we can use it to learn about the basic facts of reality is just unbelievable.  I'm kind of a fanboy, come to think about it.

Like wise, its a fascinating thing to hear about regardless
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on April 01, 2010, 01:57:28 AM
Let's say the LHC finds something that indicates a higgs boson couldn't exist. That indicates that our model of QM is pretty broken, doesn't it? Since a big chunk of it revolves around the assumption that the higgs boson exists (from what little I understand -- maybe it's the media up-playing the importance of a mystery particle with a cool name). Which would actually be a good thing: everything we actually use QM for will still work the same way it has, but there will be a lot more potential work in generating new models and testing them.

The Higgs wasn't even mentioned when I took quantum physics.  Most of what the LHC is out to test are things we can really only speculate about, I can't see it effecting the things that are already considered fairly certain, just the stuff where people have gone 'well if the higgs boson exists then it would explain why X happens'

we still know X happens, even if we have no idea why
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.