News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Unvarnished Truth #3: Filters and preconceptions

Started by Doktor Howl, March 30, 2010, 06:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Professor Freeky on March 30, 2010, 10:51:43 PM
The effective solution is that the three of them trade between each other for the things the need. On a large scale, however, people are clawing and scratching to be the guy that everyone goes to for their carrots, or whatever, and everyone wants more than what they really ought to have.

Am I right?

Incorrect.  Now you have to build 3 fires to cook with.  The effective solution is that you pour what everyone has into a pot, stew it, and everybody eats.

It doesn't work on a large scale, because there's a limit to the size of the fire and the pot.  Also, if you continue to centralize beyond a certain point, you have a planned economy (See former Soviet Union for details on how this works out.).  

The point here is that good ideas aren't always scalable.

Now, after a certain point, it does make sense to barter (or buy and sell once you curse yourself with currency), due to the above limitations.  This will work for a while, but then the inevitable happens.  2 internets to whomever can spot the flaw.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Quoteand why will that solution fail on a large scale?

because it's two dudes and a chick

dude1 knocks of dude2 for fun and profit

Juana

I don't think it's an issue of "ought to have", Freeky, so much as what can be done without a) raping the ground in the name of getting more corn or b) damaging other people.

My guess at Dok's flaw is that beyond that limit, the ground-rape or other depletion of the resources commences and everyone's fucked. This is just a guess, since my brain is not working terribly well atm.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 10:23:52 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on March 30, 2010, 09:28:02 PM
Awesome stuff, Dok.

1) Can I post this on my facebook (with due credit and a link back here)? I have a libertarian I've been trying to coax into looking at this kind of thing, and I'd like to think he is capable of being in that 1%. However, he's refused to come here, despite my best efforts because he's a lazy sod. :roll:

2) Your comments about certain ideas hitting religious levels really makes sense to me, having seen (and having BEEN) one of those humans obsessed with the free market and libertarianism.

1.  Yes.  ETA:  Lazy libertarians?  Who'd have thought it?   :lulz:

2.  The lure of it is that it seems to make sense.  The problem is, it requires that humans act rationally for a significant percentage of the time.
Thanks! :) And he doesn't see the other side, which is what you're bringing up.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hover Cat on March 30, 2010, 11:12:27 PM
I don't think it's an issue of "ought to have", Freeky, so much as what can be done without a) raping the ground in the name of getting more corn or b) damaging other people.

My guess at Dok's flaw is that beyond that limit, the ground-rape or other depletion of the resources commences and everyone's fucked. This is just a guess, since my brain is not working terribly well atm.

Not quite.  See above.
Molon Lube

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 10:28:35 PM
Okay, let's assume that three people have primitive resources (wood for cooking, hand tools for agriculture, etc).  One has grown corn, one has grown carrots, and the other has raised some chicken or beef.

If everyone eats only what they've produced, they'll die of malnutrition, eventually.

What is the most efficient solution, and why will that solution fail on a large scale?

Why would each only choose to grow or raise one though?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This thread is fanfuckingtastic!

Hoopla, since it's a hypothetical scenario, I'm not sure it needs an explanation as to why each guy only grows his specialty, but maybe each guy only knows how to do one and it takes up all his time.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 11:07:25 PM
The effective solution is that the three of them trade between each other for the things the need. On a large scale, however, people are clawing and scratching to be the guy that everyone goes to for their carrots, or whatever, and everyone wants more than what they really ought to have.

Am I right?

Incorrect.  Now you have to build 3 fires to cook with.  The effective solution is that you pour what everyone has into a pot, stew it, and everybody eats.

It doesn't work on a large scale, because there's a limit to the size of the fire and the pot.  Also, if you continue to centralize beyond a certain point, you have a planned economy (See former Soviet Union for details on how this works out.).  

Now, after a certain point, it does make sense to barter (or buy and sell once you curse yourself with currency), due to the above limitations.  This will work for a while, but then the inevitable happens.  2 internets to whomever can spot the flaw.

Is it because if one monkey sees something they want and cannot easily get it, the next option is stealing/killing the other guy and making off with whatever?

The Wizard

Will comment later, when have free time. Great work  Dok.  :mittens:
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on March 30, 2010, 11:59:41 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 10:28:35 PM
Okay, let's assume that three people have primitive resources (wood for cooking, hand tools for agriculture, etc).  One has grown corn, one has grown carrots, and the other has raised some chicken or beef.

If everyone eats only what they've produced, they'll die of malnutrition, eventually.

What is the most efficient solution, and why will that solution fail on a large scale?

Why would each only choose to grow or raise one though?

Um, I was making an analogy.  For example, I am a good millwright, but not a very good lawyer.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 31, 2010, 01:08:06 AM
This thread is fanfuckingtastic!

Thanks.  I've been enjoying the hell out of the responses.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Professor Freeky on March 31, 2010, 02:06:25 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 30, 2010, 11:07:25 PM

Am I right?

Is it because if one monkey sees something they want and cannot easily get it, the next option is stealing/killing the other guy and making off with whatever?

That's a possibility, but I was thinking more that the earliest and/or most successful farmers wind up with all the land (they aren't making any more, you see), and all the other farmers get to be employees and/or tenant farmers.  The concept of a free market stops dead at this point, before it ever really got started.  Historically speaking, that's about the time feudalism came into vogue (The gold and silver rushes in early American history also come to mind).

From there, it's all down hill, if you're a utilitarian/libertarian.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Richter

Response to OP, will go back through the discourse later.
:mittens:
The blinders are a solid things to consider, as they're usually the first thing needed and the last mentioned in any consideration of human behavior.  Short version "Assumption is the mother of a proper fuckup."

A few IRL friends are involved with Freemasonry, and in talking with them about it, they openly admit that discussing religion or politics at meetings is strictly FORBIDDEN.  It causes more harm than good to a group of people (Not supporting or running down Masons, ).  Again, draws back just to what you were saying about the blinders.  Politics and religion give some great opportunities for people to stumble onto one of the criteria upon which they WON'T speak to the other person.  Again, not what's good for themselves OR the group, but something they can work around, given proper self recognizance.  

Makes good sense.  Can't wait to see more.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat