News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Knives - Please to Advise?

Started by Nast, March 30, 2010, 08:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

So, what would be some essential knives to have around? We currently have a santoku and deba (both shamefully dull), and maybe 4 steak knives. Sad, isn't it?

I'm not hacking up animal parts everyday, so I'm mostly concerned with some everyday, chops-your-goddamn-carrots type knives to invest in. What brands would you recommend? What's the best way to sharpen?

I'd like to become knowledgeable about it, because I know how important preparation is.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Cain

The sharp kind are generally the best.

LMNO

10" chef's knife.

That's pretty much all you need.

The rest is for fancy stuff or brutal hack jobs, but you can do both with a good chef's knife.

Jenne

We have a couple of really cool ones.  When I have the time I'll find a pic of them...meanwhile, chef's knives, the kind the chefs put in a cloth and carry with them from job to job, are always the best way to go, from what I hear.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I just have sharp steel straight edge knives with a full tang. No idea what brand. They're easy to sharpen and seem to keep their edge for a good while. I think I got them for like $10-20 at Target. 

Like Cain said, the sharp kind are generally the best.

East Coast Hustle

a good 8" chefs knife will suffice for almost anything you're likely to do in the kitchen. Your santoku should be great for chopping veggies and stuff like that, it just needs to be sharpened. Don't try to sharpen the deba yourself unless you know what you're doing, most of those are a single-grind edge so using a conventional sharpener will inadvertently fuck the edge up by trying to put a bevel on the straight side. For a cheap and decent home sharpener, I'd recommend the Chef's Choice, you can usually find it for around $25.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Richter

Agree. 
A small paring knife and a serrated knife for bread / cake are good to have around too, but I'm not on of the FOR SRS chefs here.  I mostly go for my santuko or chef's knife.

Other things that really help to have, like a good solid spatula, cheese grater, garlic press, etc., become apparent as time goes on. 

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I couldn't live without my filet knife.

OTOH I eat a lot of fish and meat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

One thing a regular chef knife generally won't do well is butcher meat that's on the bone. If you're going to quarter a whole chicken or anything like that, you'll probably want a decent cleaver (you want the heavier kind, not the thinner chinese/japanese style).
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

i just use the santoku for that. after you slice through the skin you can see where the joints are and just help em out a little. those little birdies just fall apart really.

hell, for taking chicken off the bone you don't even need a knife
it's so fragile it just slides right off with your thumbs.

but that's chicken

ribs are a different story.

cleavers are good, i never use mine though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A good cleaver is something I don't have, but have had occasions to lust after. My most often-used knives are, in order, several four-inch all-purpose knives (frequently employed by my kids and not washed immediately) an eight-inch slicing knife, a five-inch tomato knife (holy shit who knew how versatile that would turn out to be?) an eight-inch chef knife, an eight-inch filet knife, an eight-inch bread knife, a seven-inch santoku (IMO completely redundant with the 8-inch chef) and a ten-inch chef which I have had longest and used least but when I need it, I really fucking need it.

A sweet and large wood cutting board is, IMO, very necessary. I hate those goddamn slippery plastic ones. 
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also would note that your knife requirements change significantly dependent on whether you are cooking alone or with others.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 31, 2010, 08:33:06 AM
I also would note that your knife requirements change significantly dependent on whether you are cooking alone or with others.

ding!

good point

Jenne

Oh I HATE it when I got to cut something and SOMEONE (coughmyhusbanddamnhimcoughcough) is using the "good" knife...

THIS is our good knife.  LOVE It.

Triple Zero

I prefer one that looks like this:

I use it more than any other. So if you gonna buy kitchen knives, better buy a pretty good one of these, than a whole set of knives for the same price.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.