News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Apparently 2% of humans have time-space synethesia...

Started by Telarus, April 01, 2010, 05:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Telarus on April 01, 2010, 05:33:02 PM
I know that states like these can be induced and practiced by finding the right trigger and manipulating your set and setting. More thoughts later.

Some hackers report experiencing strong synesthetic imagery when in hack mode; interestingly, independent reports from multiple sources suggest that there are common features to the experience. In particular, the dominant colors of this subjective cyberspace are often gray and silver, and the imagery often involves constellations of marching dots, elaborate shifting patterns of lines and angles, or moire patterns.
Source: http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/C/cyberspace.html

I suspect that synesthesia may be under-reported. Like other elements of our BIP, unless it is brought to our attention we generally are unaware of it.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Juana

Quote from: LMNO on April 01, 2010, 08:49:13 PM
Also "Minds exist in time not space"?  Descartes called, wants his duality back.
That's actually materialism as well. Minds are not something that exists in space (I can't touch yours or anyone else's directly, can I?), but that doesn't mean it's not part of the brain (imo, anyway).
I was also of the understanding that time and space were intertwined, but not exactly the same thing. Apparently I was wrong, but the more you know...
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Kai

I been wishing for synesthesia for YEARS.

I know of at least two people who frequent/used to frequent PD that have some sort of synesthesia. It's probably more common than reported on, since, you know, most synesthetes start out thinking everyone senses the world the way they do and only catch on later.

This temporal-spacial synesthesia is pretty cool.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Interestingly, it implies that either time is a "sense" in the brain the same way "taste" and "smell" are senses, OR that many kinds of perception can intermix with other kinds of perception.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on April 01, 2010, 10:53:59 PM

I know of at least two people who frequent/used to frequent PD that have some sort of synesthesia. It's probably more common than reported on, since, you know, most synesthetes start out thinking everyone senses the world the way they do and only catch on later.

It's really not that interesting, other than perhaps as a mnemonic device.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

I think unless you have some kind of major synesthesia going on, it's not going to impact your life at all. Other than being able to look at the letter A and being able to say "Oh, that would be the color red," for example.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Kai

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on April 01, 2010, 11:13:02 PM
Quote from: Kai on April 01, 2010, 10:53:59 PM

It's really not that interesting, other than perhaps as a mnemonic device.

I think it's cool. I think it's cool that people can have such profoundly different experiences of perceiving reality at the fundamental level.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

LMNO I don't have synaesthesia either. Maybe a littlebit with music and tactile sensation. But that could be just metaphor. On the other hand I listen almost exclusively to electronic music so there usually aren't many tactile sensations involved in producing it. At least, when tagging separate tracks my music collection by genre/feel, I come up with descriptions as "dust" or "mmmmmmm". But the concepts linked are always (for me) in a meaningful associative way, which afaik is not usually the case with synaesthesia, the colour orange usually does not taste like carrot or smell like citrus. Regardless, I should probably continue tagging my music collection in that fashion, because it works. This was my old HD, which I lost, and I most definitely remember exactly what those two tags were "about".

And about the space/time continuum thing. While it is "one thing" in Einstein's theory, the time-dimension is still profoundly different from the regular three space dimensions. At least, X Y and Z are very similar in the sense that you can rotate in them and objects remain the same size. For the time dimension, not so much. It's reversed, only goes one way and generally does not play like the others. I mean, that was part of Einstein's discovery of relativity, that he somehow managed to come up with a bunch of formulas that showed that in some way you can interpret time as playing like the others and model them into one continuum. But that doesn't mean it "is" the same thing. Also, regular space dimensions do not have notions such as the Arrow of Time or causality. Just because physicists want a grand unifying theory real bad :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.