News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Anwar al-Awlaki targeted for assassination by CIA

Started by Cain, April 07, 2010, 11:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Which, admittedly, doesn't give him much to worry about, but still....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/06/AR2010040604121.html?hpid=topnews
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/world/middleeast/07yemen.html?hp

You'll note he can be assassinated no matter how far from a battlefield he is, and that the basis for his targeting is the say of US intelligence officials, not conviction for his role in terrorist attacks, which remain unproven (as an aside, look up his history on Wikipedia...you'll see about the only thing he hasn't been accused of is being linked to the killers of Princess Diana).

Now personally, I think assassination is a much more preferable way of waging war than sending 200,000 soldiers tromping around the place, but on the other hand, I can't say that Obama and the CIA's legion of killer flying monkeys robots exactly inspire me with confidence.  Because, of course, anything America is willing to do to a citizen, it is willing to do ten times over to a foreigner.  On the basis of spook gossip and disinformation, no less.  It's kinda like how I have little qualms about having to defend myself using potentially lethal force, yet the death penalty, when used by the state, bothers me.  I know I could be trusted with such a tool, but I sure as hell can't say the same about them.

Anyway, your President has basically not only assumed he has the power to extra-legally execute his own citizens, he is now actively ordering it.  Think happy thoughts.

Da6s

In all honesty, i imagine there's enough evidence to warrant a call like this. And i imagine its been slightly thrown out of context.

If it prevents another timothy mcveigh, and there's proof of it, then i'd personally say "use of deadly force to kill this fucking asshole is authorized. Oh, and btw, if you can bring him in, that's cool too. if not, no worries."

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Da6s on April 08, 2010, 05:33:18 AM
In all honesty, i imagine there's enough evidence to warrant a call like this. And i imagine its been slightly thrown out of context.

If it prevents another timothy mcveigh, and there's proof of it, then i'd personally say "use of deadly force to kill this fucking asshole is authorized. Oh, and btw, if you can bring him in, that's cool too. if not, no worries."

I imagine YOU have terrorist leanings.  Ergo, we have to kill you while you're taking a shit, with Hellfire missile through the crapper window.

You weren't convicted, and it's all supposition, but we can't be too careful.
Molon Lube

Da6s

I'd be more understanding if this guy weren't living in yemen at the same time the yemen government wants him taken out.

Just seems like the media's blowing it out of proportion. Not that they ever do that.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Da6s on April 08, 2010, 05:48:26 AM
I'd be more understanding if this guy weren't living in yemen at the same time the yemen government wants him taken out.

Just seems like the media's blowing it out of proportion. Not that they ever do that.

And the government always tells us the truth, and can be trusted with the ability to kill anyone they want, whenever they want, when "terrorism" is involved.
Molon Lube

Da6s

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 08, 2010, 05:49:47 AM

And the government always tells us the truth, and can be trusted with the ability to kill anyone they want, whenever they want, when "terrorism" is involved.

This topic will arise again, i've no doubt. And i imagine it'll be a lot closer to home. I'll save my rabble rabble rabble for when it does.

The CIA's had a list of "people it's ok to cap" since the cold war. This one just happens to be some guy that was born in the lower 48.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Da6s on April 08, 2010, 05:54:57 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 08, 2010, 05:49:47 AM

This topic will arise again, i've no doubt. And i imagine it'll be a lot closer to home. I'll save my rabble rabble rabble for when it does.

The CIA's had a list of "people it's ok to cap" since the cold war. This one just happens to be some guy that was born in the lower 48.

You're okay with this?  For real?
Molon Lube

Remington

When, exactly, did rule of law go belly-up?

I only started following politics a year or two ago, but it seems I can't remember.
Is it plugged in?

Nast

QuoteCIA spokesman Paul Gimigliano said: "This agency conducts its counterterrorism operations in strict accord with the law."

Which is great, except for when the law allows the execution of citizens on basis of suspicion.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

johnnybrainwash

Quote from: Remington on April 08, 2010, 06:39:57 AM
When, exactly, did rule of law go belly-up?

Some parts of it have always been that way, but not so openly. This modern trend began under Bush, who didn't mind being the bad guy to set the precedent, and it seems like Obama has the political cover to expand on it without consequence. Bush did it out of conviction, but I suspect Obama is doing it out of convenience.

MMIX

Quote from: Nast on April 08, 2010, 06:44:19 AM
QuoteCIA spokesman Paul Gimigliano said: "This agency conducts its counterterrorism operations in strict accord with the law."

Which is great, except for when the law allows the execution of citizens on basis of suspicion.

. . . back to the law of the jungle then . . .

and Remington - the law is doing just fine . . . its just not the law you wanted
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Remington

Quote from: MMIX on April 08, 2010, 09:36:56 AM
Quote from: Nast on April 08, 2010, 06:44:19 AM

. . . back to the law of the jungle then . . .

and Remington - the law is doing just fine . . . its just not the law you wanted
Well yes, I am a bit concerned about a law that allows a government to execute its own people without evidence or trial.

Are you suggesting that I shouldn't be?
Is it plugged in?

Ari

The sad thing is that I am not really surprised, or shocked. After the whole gobbledegook with indefinite suspension it's now officially okay to execute anyone on this earth without trial if that person is deemed to be a threat to the state.
Everyone cheers and soon we will have one happy world free of TERROR.
Oh wait -
:horrormirth:

~planeswalker
waiting for the thought police to arrive
パンクビッチ

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 08, 2010, 05:46:41 AM
Quote from: Da6s on April 08, 2010, 05:33:18 AM

I imagine YOU have terrorist leanings.  Ergo, we have to kill you while you're taking a shit, with Hellfire missile through the crapper window.

You weren't convicted, and it's all supposition, but we can't be too careful.

Well, he has been repeatedly trying to persuade people to attack the United States and he is actively participating in attacks now. Fuck yeah, lets kill Dags.

LMNO

This just in: New evidence shows Anwar al-Awlaki killed Princess Diana.