News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Hey, Nigel...Where Did Everyone Go?

Started by Doktor Howl, April 05, 2010, 09:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

I was passing the aircraft graveyards down by DM Airforce base the other day, and when I went along the back side, I noticed that one of the older yard's fences had collapsed.  There are still ancient DC3s there, along with some other museum pieces, and the fence looked like it had been down a while.  I hadn't noticed that before.

It's still federal property, Nigel...Why hasn't anyone fixed it?

While I'm on the subject, half the bridges in this city are falling down.  Nobody seems to care.  All the revenue goes elsewhere - God knows where - and everything seems to be falling apart.  Also, the whole legal district is emptying out.  Most the shops on congress are just empty storefronts. 

So where did everyone go?  Did The Stand happen while I was sleeping or something?  Did I miss all the fun?  That would figure.  The apocalypse finally happens, and Dok sleeps through it.  Perfect.

Remember when we used to build things?  When new buildings and roads went up every time you blinked?  Yeah, me neither...They haven't even rebuilt the WTC, or even done a proper memorial, and don't even get me started on New Orleans.  Odds are, what's left of Providence will be allowed to turn into one big mildew stain on the East coast, because we've forgotten how to DO anything.  Or we're too broke, because we're busy running a few wars that don't seem to have any purpose that anyone can properly explain.

What the hell is going on? 
Molon Lube

Da6s

What we thought was the american dream turned out to be the american coma.

Now there's chronic atrophy all throughout, and everyone's too busy healing one another with pills named "distraction" and "stress" to pick up their rusting hammer and nail.

Or maybe everyone just went to disneyworld finally.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Da6s on April 05, 2010, 10:04:14 PM
Or maybe everyone just went to disneyworld finally.

This.  They went to Disneyland in their very own homes, propped up in front of their TVs, where they pretend that everything is okay, and that their infrastructure, like their mortgage, isn't falling apart because it's still tottering...That is to say, the collapse won't happen because it hasn't happened.  They just watch TV, listen to the Spider, and everything will be right in this best of all possible worlds.

And they try to pretend that Disneyland isn't actually a huge galloping monstrosity, an illustration of all that has gone horribly wrong in America™.  They see the costumes, but not the abused employees wearing them.  They see the rides, but not the maintenance shortcuts.  They see the bric-a-brack in the tourist shops, but not the slaves making that crap in some horrible 3rd world sweatshop.

And when it all falls apart, the one place that won't be looted is Disneyland, because there's nothing useful there.  It won't be the statue of liberty sticking out of the sand on that beach (that's a lot of bronze, after all), it will be Mickey, larger than life, fading in the sun.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

:x
I'm hoping OP is exaggerating but i can't tell anymore.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Nast

Where did everyone go?

But I want to know where everyone came from. The stores are empty, paper covering their windows, but the streets are full of people. Broken people. Some sit on State Street and murmuring and feverishly licking their fingers. Some sit inside the bus terminal, cackling at an unheard joke. But there are still some whose damage is not so easily seen. Those are the ones with homes and jobs and educations, Good Stuff, that keeps the cracks plastered. But I wonder, how high are we above rock bottom? How close are we, at any given moment, to fall like Humpty Dumpty and be left alone to pick up the pieces?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Dysfunctional Cunt

You know Dok it's all just signs that humanity is headed  for extinction.

Quote from: Nast on April 06, 2010, 01:07:45 AM
But I wonder, how high are we above rock bottom? How close are we, at any given moment, to fall like Humpty Dumpty and be left alone to pick up the pieces?

The human species has lived below sea level for longer than anyone here has been alive. You don't notice what you are used too. 

As for picking up the pieces?  You don't pick them up, you crush them into dust and move on down the road.  We're all alone, even in a crowd.

BADGE OF HONOR

This is the beginning of the end.  Global warming will take care of the rest.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

E.O.T.

EVERYONE

got out. sourced.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Out of Order on April 06, 2010, 01:59:13 AM
You know Dok it's all just signs that humanity is headed  for extinction.

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on April 06, 2010, 02:37:19 AM

Pffft, optimists.
The suffering will never stop.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

notathing

I thought every generation believes they will be the ones to see the end of days.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Lady Grinning Soul on April 06, 2010, 02:34:49 PM

I thought every generation believes they will be the ones to see the end of days.

I wrote something a while back addressing that very idea: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20113.0

Richter

Not with a bang but a complaint.

Somewhere the zetgeist decided it'd had enough.  We had spanned a continent, eating the resources along the way to fuel our expansion.  the plains and forests were fed without distinction into the machine of progress so rampant that its a wonder anyone ever had a thought to preserve.  We made ways and infrastructure as quick and dirty as possible.  It just had to last until the next BIG FUCKING DEAL, the next turn of the industrial screw, then retool it for another method. 

Rome's roads still span in places, because they were built to span for thousands of years.  When they began a road, the began by going DOWN, laying gravel and stone to keep water, ice, traffic and time from destroying them.  When the USA makes a road they lay a scab of asphalt or concrete over the land.  Nature will scratch, heave, and shake it off with time, just another odd rock for the grass to grow between.  Why?  Well, we can come back net year to patch, fill, and repave, can't we?  Not so easy now, and there's no local resource or concienved need to fix the raods that span our continent.  The great bridges and roadways crumble into dangerous, worse than useless, but they arestill there ENOUGH to get by until...

Remember the ancients?  The ones that made all that cheap shit and left?  The rotting iron sticking up from the ground, the black poison stones in our corn fields, the places where the water is poison?  That was them.  Fuckers.

-R
I'm fine, I'm FINE, I"M FINE FINE FINE!OK!  REALLY! 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Darth Cupcake

Why fix what already exists when you can build it NEWER? SHINIER? JUST AS TEMPORARY?

Our roads, schools, public transit, infrastructure in general should really be sponsored by fashion companies, because each given bit really only lasts about as long as your average trend season.

Soon we'll see rhinestone-encrusted trains with brand-imprinted seat upholstery. In coach, the unwashed masses will complain that they can't fit on the seats and they'll run out of breath walking to the other end of the cabin to buy a Perrier. Three months later, they will refuse to ride in the same brand of train, because that is just so last season.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

the last yatto

this

plus crazy prepared shall be my next intermittens
and thinking a dig dug themed flyer for the Atari Militia as the cover
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit