News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Freemasons to battle zombies

Started by Cain, April 12, 2010, 08:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cain on April 13, 2010, 09:54:16 PM
They actually wont even ask you to expand on your beliefs, since that comes under the "discussing religion" thing.  So long as you believe in a Supreme Being (of some kind), you're good.  And even then, with enough theology under your belt, you can stretch that definition to near-breaking point (Deism, Pantheism etc).

Yeah, in considering joining, i wondered whether i would, in good faith, have to explain that i believe in God only in pantheistic terms....
i wonder if the way they word the questioning clearly indicates that it is as inclusive as that, because otherwise, i'm sure the fellow asking me would have a crucifix in his mind's eye, and i'd know it...

Cramulus

the guy in the OP told me that Eris is a totally legit answer for a supreme being. And that unless you're a mason in the south, it's unlikely that your beliefs will ever be discussed.

When I was a teenager I really did believe the masons were part of the illuminati, and that as a Discordian, it was my duty to do something about them.  :p

Cain

Quote from: Iptuous on April 13, 2010, 09:59:47 PM
Quote from: Cain on April 13, 2010, 09:54:16 PM
They actually wont even ask you to expand on your beliefs, since that comes under the "discussing religion" thing.  So long as you believe in a Supreme Being (of some kind), you're good.  And even then, with enough theology under your belt, you can stretch that definition to near-breaking point (Deism, Pantheism etc).

Yeah, in considering joining, i wondered whether i would, in good faith, have to explain that i believe in God only in pantheistic terms....
i wonder if the way they word the questioning clearly indicates that it is as inclusive as that, because otherwise, i'm sure the fellow asking me would have a crucifix in his mind's eye, and i'd know it...

Yeah, its quite likely they'd be thinking of Christianity, but I just checked and apparently Hindus are OK (and I understand Brahman to be broadly pantheistic in conception) so your beliefs would also be allowed.

Elder Iptuous

sweet.
i'll give it a shot sometime soon, if i can manage.
is anybody on the board a mason already?

Cain

I keep considering it, my grandfather was a Mason, but I've never gotten around to it.  Half of the regulars at my pub are members of the nearest Temple though, I should perform the secret handshake sometime and freak them out.

Telarus

Quote from: Cain on April 13, 2010, 10:58:59 PM
I keep considering it, my grandfather was a Mason, but I've never gotten around to it.  Half of the regulars at my pub are members of the nearest Temple though, I should perform the secret handshake sometime and freak them out.

LOL!

From know a couple of Masons here in PDX, I understand that politics/religion is verboten in the main Hall, and at any official Lodge Meetings. What you and your brothers talk about @ the pub isn't really their concern (until it is).

And, apparently, the Lodge here in Portland has books that date back to the Knights Templar.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Elder Iptuous

my grandfather was a mason for a while too, but apparently it ended with some drama, which he never talks to anybody about, and will ignore questions regarding.  And this man holds his tongue on little.

i have got the impression that there is wide diversity among the characteristics of the various lodges, but i don't really have anything concrete to base this on.

i think it would be great fun to infiltrate one with discordians (of just about any stripe).

Triple Zero

A few years ago, just before I joined PD, but I posted about it on POEE, a Masonic lodge in Utrecht had an "open day", I wasn't able to attend at the last moment, but a friend of mine did go and he told me they were 1) almost kind of recruiting, because they dont have a lot of young members anymore and 2) this Supreme Being was described as a big Watchmaker or Mechanic sort of entity, nothing special in particular, in hindsight I would even guess that Kai's (and partly, mine) views on Emergence as the driving force behind everything would count as good enough.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

I do know that many Masonic lodges are indeed holding Open Recruitment days, due to declining membership.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2010, 03:10:09 PM
I do know that many Masonic lodges are indeed holding Open Recruitment days, due to declining membership.

They had a television ad called Ask a Freemason that played when I was in Amherst.  I'm not sure if it was a national thing, but if it was local then it would have been for the Connecticut area.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Actually, there's a lodge at 99 Main Street in Amherst.

Richter

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 14, 2010, 03:02:23 PM
A few years ago, just before I joined PD, but I posted about it on POEE, a Masonic lodge in Utrecht had an "open day", I wasn't able to attend at the last moment, but a friend of mine did go and he told me they were 1) almost kind of recruiting, because they dont have a lot of young members anymore and 2) this Supreme Being was described as a big Watchmaker or Mechanic sort of entity, nothing special in particular, in hindsight I would even guess that Kai's (and partly, mine) views on Emergence as the driving force behind everything would count as good enough.

This is the same that I've heard from Masons I've spoken with IRL.  No specific nature, rationale, or purpose of said supreme being is defined or imposed, only "There is one".  (Is Deist the right term there?)
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2010, 03:14:18 PM
Actually, there's a lodge at 99 Main Street in Amherst.

Oh, yeah I know.  A friend of mine joined through them.  All our news and "local" stations were CT based for some reason.  Either that lodge put in an ad through CT or it was for a lodge actually based there.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2010, 03:10:09 PM

doesn't this make them ripe for infiltration?
:evil: