News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Brawl Hall April 2010.

Started by Requia ☣, April 19, 2010, 07:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 19, 2010, 07:24:52 PM
I don't know shit about the Arizona Black Madonna, but St. Luke painted a black Madonna which was revived sometime in the medieval period I think. I will look it up and provide more info.

There's a bunch of stuff like those, but thats pretty much just Catholicism with pictures to look like different ethnicities, it's not any more noteworthy than a white Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Madonna
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 19, 2010, 07:35:25 PM
This would be a good time to not pretend that your ability to look at Wikipedia constitutes expert status, girlie. Also I am in a mood and looking for a fight.

While I understand the urge, could you possibly do it somewhere else?

And what happened to Dignity Village?  And where did all the people go?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 19, 2010, 07:37:20 PM
This would be a good time to not pretend that your ability to look at Wikipedia constitutes expert status, girlie. Also I am in a mood and looking for a fight.

While I understand the urge, could you possibly do it somewhere else?
YES. Split the thread & let's see if she's ready to rumble.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

When have I ever resisted a fight with you.   :lulz:

I think I'm wrong about that though, doing more digging on the specific images not many of them are believed to be such.  The biggest grouping of them is from France, where one of the cults of the Black Madonna I mentioned earlier is, so at least some of these aren't directly related to catholicism, even if they do happen to occupy currently Catholic churches now.

Requia ☣

The only other things I can find using a black Madonna as symbols are some spirituality groups from the late 20th century, again the timeline is wrong.  Though is does appear that its a repeated symbol.  That puts it pretty firmly in the 'could be anything' category.

Cain

There are many strange drug-related cults coming out of Mexico nowadays.  Haven't heard anything in particular about a Black Madonna cult in the country, but it may be worth considering.

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/documents/Santa-Muerte/santa-muerte.htm for the sort of thing I had in mind.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on April 19, 2010, 07:54:43 PM
There are many strange drug-related cults coming out of Mexico nowadays.  Haven't heard anything in particular about a Black Madonna cult in the country, but it may be worth considering.

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/documents/Santa-Muerte/santa-muerte.htm for the sort of thing I had in mind.

Gonna read that tonight.  But this particular cult goes back 130 years.
Molon Lube

Cain

Sorry, yes, you did say.  Temporary lapse of memory.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on April 19, 2010, 07:54:43 PM

This is very very similar to the festival of San Maximon, which is celebrated locally and very publicly.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

You're not the only one to think that.  The Wikitards have links from their Maximon page directly to their page on Santa Muerte.  Apparently there is a Temple for the latter in Los Angeles, too.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sorry about failing on the fight front... I got sleepy and went to bed.

Requia ☣

I already conceded the fight, more or less.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, that just really went nowhere. We'll have to try again next time.

Jasper

An argument on PDcom just fizzled out due to lack of enthusiasm?

End Times.

Cainad (dec.)

I have no idea why the outcome of this thread makes me laugh so damn hard. But it does.