News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Pedantry

Started by Cain, April 13, 2010, 03:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

Cain I like the OP!! Mad props, you nailed it!

The BS that followed, eh well you kind of  had to expect it. I'm sorry it happened but honestly I'm not sure there is a cure for it.

Triple Zero

first off, FUCK YEAH! :mittens:

BTW I'm sure I have myself succumbed to the wrong kind of pedantry a couple of times, especially in the past. But since (even before this OP) I have learned (and experienced myself!) how annoying it is, I really try not to, and limit it to times when I actually believe pointing out something adds to the discussion. So if I happen to make a derailing type of pedant remark, feel free to call me on it, possibly via PM if you don't want to pull the thread further off-topic. Though I'm quite certain it won't be necessary.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 14, 2010, 05:27:58 AMAnd the people who thought they were being funny (one of whom really was a really unpleasant surprise), why?  Why did you do that?  Didn't it seem predictable?  Seriously, it was like watching Memnoch try to be witty.

I don't know. I really don't know. Maybe they needed the personal smackdown just to realize that, yes, it applies to them as well.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Quote from: Dr. Paes on April 14, 2010, 04:19:53 AM
You're right, Cain. That kind of shit isn't unexpected, so it appears that you posted this, expecting replies like that?
Did you plan ahead that you were going to get upset about it when it happened, too?

Yes, it was all secretly planned in advance.  A sociological experiment, and you did exactly what I expected.

So now I'm apparently trolling. Fuck this noise.

Dr. Paes

Quote from: Cain on April 14, 2010, 10:55:03 AM
Quote from: Dr. Paes on April 14, 2010, 04:19:53 AM
You're right, Cain. That kind of shit isn't unexpected, so it appears that you posted this, expecting replies like that?
Did you plan ahead that you were going to get upset about it when it happened, too?

Yes, it was all secretly planned in advance.  A sociological experiment, and you did exactly what I expected.

So now I'm apparently trolling. Fuck this noise.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. I also basically insinuated that you don't deserve anything more than mittens and a tiny comment.
I probably said you were a dick in there somewhere, too. You can get butthurt about perceived accusations of trolling if you want, but it doesn't help your case against the suggestion that you are overreacting.
Point remains that you knew the responses to "people are too pedantic" would be lame attempts at ironically responding displaying the behaviours you criticised... You even acknowledged that this response was predictable. So you posted, with the knowledge that the responses would be like that, and then replied to those in a tone which, IMO, seems not only upset, but surprised. Whut? Fair enough, don't post if you don't want responses like that. Disappointing that we lose your rants, but an understandable reaction. It just doesn't seem that anyone is going to think you have any cause to be shocked by those responses... and getting upset further when you're told that just seems stupid.

Yeah, go on. Quote this and be upset that I called you stupid. Fucksake.

Cain

:retard:

Its not surprise, its disappointment.  Because it's convinced me that something I like and enjoy doing no longer has any worth or place on this site.  Any move to improvement I make is immediately mocked, belittled and ignored.  Long before this, even though the attempt I made ITT was genuine and sincere.  I had hoped it would turn out otherwise, but past attempts suggested this wouldn't be.

So yeah, I'm pissed, because apparently my thoughts on how to improve this site are worth less than shit, and so is something I've been doing for six years.

You wanna pile on the mockery a little bit more?  I'm sure you could work in something about being an artistic temperment, if you wanted to be snide.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 14, 2010, 05:27:58 AM
And Cain, you knew that shit would happen.  You fucking knew it.  So why are you so upset?

Sorry, I forgot I'm not allowed to have expectations and hopes.  I've suitably changed my position on the subject however, so this wont be a problem in the future.

LMNO

Quote from: Cainthere is going to be nothing worth coming to this site to get pedantic about.

I know I'm just as guilty as the rest of 'em, but this line strikes me as very true; and i'll do my best to restrain the impulse in the future.

Reginald Ret

Jeez, this is really a sensitive subject.

Often the only thing I have to offer is feedback on small and irrelevant(to the conversation) points.
In the future I will try to refrain from giving people the feedback neccesary for selfimprovement unless asked to do so.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Quote from: Regret on April 14, 2010, 03:26:07 PM
Often the only thing I have to offer is feedback on small and irrelevant(to the conversation) points.
In the future I will try to refrain from giving people the feedback neccesary for selfimprovement unless asked to do so.

I think a good guideline for that kind of stuff (for me, anyway) is that it's only really needed when someone is planning on making a poster, pamphlet, or cross-post of whatever it is they're writing.

For example, if I said, "Here's something I'm going to plaster all over the office!" I'd certainly want people to comment on spelling, syntax, and grammar.

But if it's a one-off about the physics of oil in your pasta water, you don't need to point out that I spelled "Fettuccini" wrong.

Nast

Cain, you weren't being mocked. It's just that people love an opportunity to be all ironically meta. Such comments aren't the greatest contribution to  a rant, but it really shouldn't be taken in offense. I for one liked the OP, it was spot on.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2010, 03:31:41 PM
Quote from: Regret on April 14, 2010, 03:26:07 PM

I think a good guideline for that kind of stuff (for me, anyway) is that it's only really needed when someone is planning on making a poster, pamphlet, or cross-post of whatever it is they're writing.

For example, if I said, "Here's something I'm going to plaster all over the office!" I'd certainly want people to comment on spelling, syntax, and grammar.

But if it's a one-off about the physics of oil in your pasta water, you don't need to point out that I spelled "Fettuccini" wrong.
Thanks for the tip.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nast on April 14, 2010, 03:52:40 PM
Cain, you weren't being mocked. It's just that people love an opportunity to be all ironically meta. Such comments aren't the greatest contribution to  a rant, but it really shouldn't be taken in offense. I for one liked the OP, it was spot on.

Those people are fucking retarded and should probably learn to shut the fuck up once in a while.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OP was fucking brilliant and should be stickied.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on April 14, 2010, 06:10:39 PM
Quote from: Nast on April 14, 2010, 03:52:40 PM

Those people are fucking retarded and should probably learn to shut the fuck up once in a while.

Consider it done.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

This whole community seems to have been chewing on paint chips.
Molon Lube