Unlimited How Not to Be a Fat Fucky Bastard thread: now 100% more fat free

Started by Doktor Howl, April 16, 2010, 06:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on May 09, 2012, 05:34:29 PM
Awesome.  I've also decided that not having the drinks just means I'm hardcore.

Assuming my stomach does not actually punch its way through my spine and kill me, I will now successfully be able to brag I told u I was hardcore.

Eat a banana, then.
Molon Lube

Cain

Yeah, I considered that, but I actually don't like bananas all that much. 

Besides, this way I can build up rage and explode it over my students when they least expect it.  Serves the little bastards right.  Lately I've been a bit too "meh" with them, so uncontrollable anger will keep them off balance.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on May 09, 2012, 05:38:56 PM
Yeah, I considered that, but I actually don't like bananas all that much. 

Besides, this way I can build up rage and explode it over my students when they least expect it.  Serves the little bastards right.  Lately I've been a bit too "meh" with them, so uncontrollable anger will keep them off balance.

You can also get really, really sick.  Just saying.
Molon Lube

Cain

Point. I've started looking at alternatives I do like...apparently yoghurt is good.  That works for me.  I can even get it in little, snack-sized pots.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

IME the best weight-loss practice is to get a decent amount of outdoor exercise on a daily basis, combined with a pretty strict whole-foods diet. I know that whole (unprocessed, such as recognizable meats, grains, and vegetable) foods are not always the most accessible, but they definitely do the best in terms of curbing food cravings, especially junk-food cravings. They are also goddamn delicious.

This pretty much means, fuck slimfast-type drinks. They're horrifically processed.

Essentially, my asshole diet plan is GO OUTSIDE, EAT FOOD THAT LOOKS LIKE WHAT IT IS.

If you do this, and don't drink a lot, it is very likely that your body will revert to its ideal weight.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yoghurt, cheese, and other bacteria-fermented processes, I tend to exempt from my whole-food rule, within reason. Like delicious pickles and kimchi. Or beer and wine, as long as they are only consumed moderately.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LizKing531

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 10, 2012, 08:24:55 AM
IME the best weight-loss practice is to get a decent amount of outdoor exercise on a daily basis, combined with a pretty strict whole-foods diet. I know that whole (unprocessed, such as recognizable meats, grains, and vegetable) foods are not always the most accessible, but they definitely do the best in terms of curbing food cravings, especially junk-food cravings. They are also goddamn delicious.

This pretty much means, fuck slimfast-type drinks. They're horrifically processed.

Essentially, my asshole diet plan is GO OUTSIDE, EAT FOOD THAT LOOKS LIKE WHAT IT IS.

If you do this, and don't drink a lot, it is very likely that your body will revert to its ideal weight.

Michael Pollen comes to mind here - another easy tip I ran across is to shop the perimeter of the grocery, granted there's exceptions (seasonings, etc). The thought is that the rim has the most "whole" food products while the center is largely where all the processed crap is kept.

there's really no "trick" or secret. it just so happens that tons of what you find in the grocery is crap labeled as food. 

Also, I read somewhere that your intake of carbs is directly related to retention of water - more carbs = more water retained = looking less lean. So if you can change your diet "macros" to have more proteins & less carbs, you'll look leaner.

LizKing531

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 10, 2012, 08:28:02 AM
Yoghurt, cheese, and other bacteria-fermented processes, I tend to exempt from my whole-food rule, within reason. Like delicious pickles and kimchi. Or beer and wine, as long as they are only consumed moderately.

Speaking of fermented, Anyone familiar with kombucha?

I've been an off & on advocate of drinking it - tons of probiotics, etc. There's some interesting claims made for it, although folks like Paul Stamets claim they wouldn't touch it -

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Where does Stamets claim he wouldn't touch it? I have read a couple of his articles and have not seen anything resembling that phrase.

Personally, I think that it may be a useful digestive, but it's nothing like what the people marketing it claim it to be.

LizKing531

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 10, 2012, 05:05:56 PM
Where does Stamets claim he wouldn't touch it? I have read a couple of his articles and have not seen anything resembling that phrase.

Personally, I think that it may be a useful digestive, but it's nothing like what the people marketing it claim it to be.

The Fungi Perfecti site recently changed, so the best I could score was a cross link from another blog -
http://www.rootsimple.com/2010/12/is-kombucha-safe.html

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LizKing531 on May 10, 2012, 05:14:41 PM
Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 10, 2012, 05:05:56 PM

The Fungi Perfecti site recently changed, so the best I could score was a cross link from another blog -
http://www.rootsimple.com/2010/12/is-kombucha-safe.html

I've read that. It doesn't quote him as saying anything like that. A bit of hyperbole on your part, perhaps?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The most condemning paragraph quoted:

QuoteThose who might benefit from Kombucha need a credible and experienced professional who could best prescribe and administer it. I do not see the advantage of taking Kombucha by people in good health. Given the detrimental effects seen from prolonged exposure to antibiotics, the repeated, long term use of Kombucha may cause its own universe of problems. I wonder about those people who have adverse reactions to antibiotics? What about those with sensitivity to the microorganisms in Kombucha? I personally believe it is morally reprehensible to pass on this colony to sick or healthy friends when, to date, so little is known about its proper use. At present there are no credible, recent studies as to the safety or usefulness of Kombucha, despite decades of hype.

LizKing531

I personally believe it is morally reprehensible to pass on this colony to sick or healthy friends when, to date, so little is known about its proper use. At present there are no credible, recent studies as to the safety or usefulness of Kombucha, despite decades of hype.

Basically that's where I got that from - I hadn't read the whole article recently, just recalling the original article hosted on Fungi Perfecti from memory.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LizKing531 on May 10, 2012, 05:31:37 PM
I personally believe it is morally reprehensible to pass on this colony to sick or healthy friends when, to date, so little is known about its proper use. At present there are no credible, recent studies as to the safety or usefulness of Kombucha, despite decades of hype.

Basically that's where I got that from - I hadn't read the whole article recently, just recalling the original article hosted on Fungi Perfecti from memory.

So, a bit of hyperbole on your part.

Cain

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 10, 2012, 08:24:55 AM
IME the best weight-loss practice is to get a decent amount of outdoor exercise

That's my main problem.  By virtue of my job, I'm not allowed to be more than five minutes from the building while on duty.  I mean, I could just do laps around the building, but I suspect after the fifth pass, someone might get suspicious and shoot me.

Because I used to live in the middle of nowhere, I did ride my bike and walk lots to get anywhere.  On top of martial arts classes, swimming lessons and a few other things.  Which is one reason I may look at going to a boarding school in the countryside, at some point.  I'm not cut out for an all-tarmac environment.