News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

The City That Eris Built, Part 1

Started by Doktor Howl, April 19, 2010, 06:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 19, 2010, 07:21:45 PM
Isn't to fucking code, you know. Can't have people living in it. No, that's like raising your kid in Forest Park; has to be stopped. http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/06/289883.shtml

I can see not allowing residence in a park, to some degree.

But what happened to Dignity Village?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 19, 2010, 07:24:52 PM
I don't know shit about the Arizona Black Madonna, but St. Luke painted a black Madonna which was revived sometime in the medieval period I think. I will look it up and provide more info.

Thanks.  My internet search capabilities are kinda hamstrung, here.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Of course, none of this deals with the other people that are acting strangely.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 19, 2010, 07:30:23 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 19, 2010, 07:24:52 PM
I don't know shit about the Arizona Black Madonna, but St. Luke painted a black Madonna which was revived sometime in the medieval period I think. I will look it up and provide more info.

There's a bunch of stuff like those, but thats pretty much just Catholicism with pictures to look like different ethnicities, it's not any more noteworthy than a white Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Madonna

What

I am talking about the Polish one which raised quite a stir in the 14th century, as rather few Poles are Negro, know what I mean?

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This would be a good time to not pretend that your ability to look at Wikipedia constitutes expert status, girlie. Also I am in a mood and looking for a fight.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Storm's coming.  Big one if it's getting people to clue in too.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 19, 2010, 07:23:49 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 19, 2010, 07:21:24 PM
Almost all the gnostic books were destroyed by either the Catholics or the Muslims in a a millennium long purge of the faith.  It wasn't until a secret cache of the things was uncovered in the 20th century that more than a few scraps and the propaganda of the Orthodoxy were available to work off of.  In particular, not much was known about Magdeline's role, which is key to the 'black madonna' groups.  Of course, they could be going off the propaganda, or just heard the name and thought it was a good thing to base a cult off of.

I have even less idea why a gnostic group, or any group from the 19th century, would destroy electronics in a ritual.  Possible matrix link?

Shit, let me know what you find.  My curiosity is well and truly peaked now.

Or it's something else entirely.  This isn't a wholesome city.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Careful Dok.  If it's coming down to THAT now, it isn't the kind of thing you can find out about and walk away from.  It won't be "Neverwhere" or "The Invisibles" glamorous, but it'll still be a line that doesn't like to be crossed.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Richter on April 19, 2010, 07:37:58 PM
Storm's coming.  Big one if it's getting people to clue in too.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 19, 2010, 07:23:49 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 19, 2010, 07:21:24 PM
Almost all the gnostic books were destroyed by either the Catholics or the Muslims in a a millennium long purge of the faith.  It wasn't until a secret cache of the things was uncovered in the 20th century that more than a few scraps and the propaganda of the Orthodoxy were available to work off of.  In particular, not much was known about Magdeline's role, which is key to the 'black madonna' groups.  Of course, they could be going off the propaganda, or just heard the name and thought it was a good thing to base a cult off of.

I have even less idea why a gnostic group, or any group from the 19th century, would destroy electronics in a ritual.  Possible matrix link?

Shit, let me know what you find.  My curiosity is well and truly peaked now.

Or it's something else entirely.  This isn't a wholesome city.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Careful Dok.  If it's coming down to THAT now, it isn't the kind of thing you can find out about and walk away from.  It won't be "Neverwhere" or "The Invisibles" glamorous, but it'll still be a line that doesn't like to be crossed.

Not too worried, Richter, but thanks for your concern. 
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 19, 2010, 07:37:20 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 19, 2010, 07:35:25 PM
This would be a good time to not pretend that your ability to look at Wikipedia constitutes expert status, girlie. Also I am in a mood and looking for a fight.

While I understand the urge, could you possibly do it somewhere else?

And what happened to Dignity Village?  And where did all the people go?

They relocated, and are still fighting for the chance to build and live in structures.

Yes, that's right. The chance to build and live in structures. Because that's illegal, in today's America, unless you have a couple hundred thousand to throw down.

LMNO

I also remember reading about how some so-called "occult" lodges used to disguise their rituals in Christian trappings... The Cult of the Black Madonna has been linked to darker, more insidious belief systems of the vengeful, all-consuming Mother Death archetype.  Of course, most of this could be rumor mongering, but apparently their rituals are similar, but a little creepier, to Santeria.

I don't know what the circuit boards have to do with anything, but I'd be careful.  Those fuckers are probably pretty crazy.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 19, 2010, 07:40:40 PM

They relocated, and are still fighting for the chance to build and live in structures.

Yes, that's right. The chance to build and live in structures. Because that's illegal, in today's America, unless you have a couple hundred thousand to throw down.

I see.  The official excuse would involve fire codes, etc, so it's better to subject them to the random knifings and beatings on the street.  Am I barking up the right tree?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on April 19, 2010, 07:42:39 PM
I also remember reading about how some so-called "occult" lodges used to disguise their rituals in Christian trappings... The Cult of the Black Madonna has been linked to darker, more insidious belief systems of the vengeful, all-consuming Mother Death archetype.  Of course, most of this could be rumor mongering, but apparently their rituals are similar, but a little creepier, to Santeria.

I don't know what the circuit boards have to do with anything, but I'd be careful.  Those fuckers are probably pretty crazy.

I'll go prepared, of course, but I doubt it will be necessary.  I'm also after getting into that S&M club a week from Wednesday, to see what's up.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on April 19, 2010, 07:42:39 PM

Santeria is very popular here, and it's really not at all creepy.

I need to know more about the Black Madonna cult though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 19, 2010, 07:43:36 PM

I see.  The official excuse would involve fire codes, etc, so it's better to subject them to the random knifings and beatings on the street.  Am I barking up the right tree?

The exact right tree, Dok.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

FWIW Portland has a very active Santero population and also received a lot of New Orleans refugees so now has a lot of Vodoun as well, and there is really, really for real nothing at all creepy about either. Certainly vastly less creepy than the goddamned Revival tent churches. Hate those motherfucks.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 19, 2010, 07:46:18 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 19, 2010, 07:43:36 PM

The exact right tree, Dok.

The reasoning being that they can always go to a shelter, where they'll be abused nightly by big halfwit employees named Jake.  I've heard this story before.
Molon Lube