News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Drama Vote: Voice your opinion on the recent drama.

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, April 21, 2010, 09:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want to be done?

Keep it as-is and let it continue.
8 (17.4%)
Split it all off and merge it into one thread.
11 (23.9%)
Don't care.
18 (39.1%)
Other (fill in the blank)
9 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Sir Squid Diddimus

I thought the #1 thing that drove people to farm stupidly is

MONEY

Also the reason we get our energy from where we do.

In fact, I think people are more CHA-CHING than ook ook.

?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on April 29, 2010, 05:09:42 PM

MONEY

?

CHA-CHING is the "oooh shiny!" part of ook ook.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 29, 2010, 04:22:04 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 29, 2010, 04:20:39 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 29, 2010, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: EoC on April 29, 2010, 03:41:49 PM
I believe it was brought up after you said planting a monoculture crop wouldn't be very scientific, at which point it was given as an explanation as to why we might implement a less than perfect farming system.

There's no "might" about it. We DO implement a completely irrational farming system which has not only historically been shown to be an invitation to disaster, but is CURRENTLY demonstrating an agricultural disaster.

The people of Mexico and India may very well disagree with you.

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 29, 2010, 04:17:10 PMI may be making little sense because my best girl came over with a pint of really excellent bourbon last night for my birthday, and I'm operating on a hangover and very little sleep.

Perhaps it might be time to step away from the computer then, before another meltdown occurs.

Oh, you're just hilarious. By "meltdown" I assume you mean "trolling TTM into delightful heights of hysteria".

What would the people of Mexico disagree with me about, the statement that the US predominantly practices monoculture? Or my reference to the banana catastrophe?

If you were really trolling, you need to work on your technique. Basically all you managed to do was piss everyone off while I made fun of you. Just sayin.

EDIT:
QuoteBasically all you managed to do was piss everyone off..

I take that back, if you were trying to troll me specifically your trolling sucks. If you were trying to troll the whole board then you did OK.

Dysfunctional Cunt

MONEY

?

Actually this is more on the mark than most people realize.  The problem with modern farming is big business.  Seed requirements, lawsuits against farmers whose crops get crosspollenated when their neighbor decides to grow for a major manufacturer.  Cost cuts in order to save every penny you can since big business names it's price when it "gives" you the required seed.  It all leads to one giant cluster fuck and the smaller countries can't compete.  Hell US farmer's can't compete.

I would hazard a guess that commercial farming in the US will be gone within the next 10-15 years.  It will be private farming only.  Except for tobacco, tea, maybe grain, but that's a big maybe.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

LET'S SUBSIDIZE THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYTHING!!1
\
:joshua:

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Vladimir Poopin on April 29, 2010, 06:00:35 PM
LET'S SUBSIDIZE THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYTHING!!1
\
:joshua:

I'm going to let you direct that where you meant it to go before I say anything just in case it wasn't directed towards me.....

Vene

Quote from: Hoopla on April 29, 2010, 03:58:36 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 29, 2010, 03:56:20 PM
Well, the question might be, how did the medical methods change; and could knowing that help us in implementing new methods and ideas for agriculture?

Good question.  I am not entirely certain how exactly medical methods changed.  Admittedly, most likely NOT by committee.   :lol:
Define "by committee." A lot of change in the medical field was done using the boring peer review methodology that makes up science (as well as conferences and such). But, there's a definite difference in values between a group of scientists and a group of average people (even when that group includes scientists). Mostly because science is one of the few places were rationality matters more than presentation. So, yeah, a big part of why there's progress in medicine is because they recognized their monkey aspects and in acknowledging them, were able to see the flaws and actively work to counter them.

There is nothing wrong with being a monkey, it just is, but there is something wrong when you forget you're a monkey.

hooplala

Quote from: Vene on April 29, 2010, 06:51:44 PM
Well, the question might be, how did the medical methods change; and could knowing that help us in implementing new methods and ideas for agriculture?

Good question.  I am not entirely certain how exactly medical methods changed.  Admittedly, most likely NOT by committee.   :lol:
Define "by committee." A lot of change in the medical field was done using the boring peer review methodology that makes up science (as well as conferences and such). But, there's a definite difference in values between a group of scientists and a group of average people (even when that group includes scientists). Mostly because science is one of the few places were rationality matters more than presentation. So, yeah, a big part of why there's progress in medicine is because they recognized their monkey aspects and in acknowledging them, were able to see the flaws and actively work to counter them.

There is nothing wrong with being a monkey, it just is, but there is something wrong when you forget you're a monkey.

I don't consider the peer review process a committee.  In a committee things are voted for, and opinion takes a certain place in the proceedings.  In science either it works and is verifiable and repeatable, or it isn't. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Faust

MONEY

?
Its also the reason we will never hit that crisis point hard, for the other basic human cliche:
Someone will prepare, allow supplies to enter a danger point and then exploit peoples coming dependence for decades to come.
Just as certain of every crisis being caused by the monkey mentality, there is a cartel waiting to take advantage of that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Kai

Quote from: Hoopla on April 29, 2010, 07:01:28 PM

I don't consider the peer review process a committee.  In a committee things are voted for, and opinion takes a certain place in the proceedings.  In science either it works and is verifiable and repeatable, or it isn't. 

Eh...

I think you should investigate just what goes on with peer review. It's just as opinionated as a jury, but just like a jury it's necessary.

Not that I want to derail this thread any further with a discussion of the pitfalls of peer review. Just pointing out the monkey in the process.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Good question.  I am not entirely certain how exactly medical methods changed.  Admittedly, most likely NOT by committee.   :lol:

I don't consider the peer review process a committee.  In a committee things are voted for, and opinion takes a certain place in the proceedings.  In science either it works and is verifiable and repeatable, or it isn't.  

Ideally, yes. In practice, status quo and status within the scientific community tend to skew things a great deal.

ETA: What Kai said.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Science, by it's strictest definition, is impossible.
Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 29, 2010, 07:55:08 PM

Well, it /is/, but not on a collective level.

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

hooplala

Quote from: Kai on April 29, 2010, 07:48:41 PM

Eh...

I think you should investigate just what goes on with peer review. It's just as opinionated as a jury, but just like a jury it's necessary.

Not that I want to derail this thread any further with a discussion of the pitfalls of peer review. Just pointing out the monkey in the process.

This thread was never railed to begin with, so please, enlighten me to how to the peer review system works.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on April 29, 2010, 07:58:24 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 29, 2010, 07:55:08 PM

Well, it /is/, but not on a collective level.

Well, that's where Nenslo's Lobster Theory comes into play, Kai.
Molon Lube