News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED Arizona Hilarity thread

Started by Requia ☣, April 22, 2010, 04:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is a VERY different subject from the "rehoming" groups, which appear to be adoptive parents abandoning children illegally in order to evade legal responsibility for the child. That is, in effect, part of the human trafficking black market.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is, of course, also different from the question of the proportion of "orphans", or youth in state care, who are homeless, which is about 6 out of every 1700 homeless youth. About 5% of youth in state care are runaways at some point during their oversight by the state, which is over twice the rate of runaways as the general population. However, it is estimated that up to a quarter of youth in foster care will experience homelessness after aging out of foster care, which is atrocious.

Please, however, do not inadvertently misconstrue that to mean that 25% of homeless people are kids who aged out of foster care, because the total number of kids in foster care is so much smaller than the total number of kids in the US. It is an unacceptably huge proportion of foster kids, but an insignificantly small proportion of the total homeless population.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Nigel, appreciate the breakdown and background. Like most things, I need to read more now. A lot more. Thanks!
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Junkenstein

Here's a couple of tenuous links to finish this off, I'll probably start a thread on this at some point. Questions are forming. Anyway:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/social-work-in-the-tenderloin-will-kill-something-inside-of-you
QuoteThe Tenderloin is widely acknowledged as the most hellish neighbourhood in San Francisco. Out of the city's ten most violent crime plots, the Tenderloin is home to seven. Recent stats estimate the neighbourhood has an average of three major crimes per hour, including one-third of the city's drug offences, with a yearly mean of two crimes per resident. The population is made up of more than 6,000 homeless people and contains one-fourth of the city's HIV-positive drug users. Filthy sidewalks and vacant buildings peppered with single-occupancy hotel rooms provide a home to all levels of drugs and prostitution.

My friend Lorian has been employed as a social worker in the Tenderloin for several years now. Her tweets about it (things like: "today: 4 dead clients, 1 murdered provider, 1 client defecated in the lobby, 1 dead dog, & 1 facebook friend posted pictures of nachos.") got me curious as to what her job is like. She was kind enough to answer some of my questions.

Brings up a couple of interesting points in the Q+A. I understand that this is at the extreme end of the scale but it helps personalise the numbers.

From today, how the UK is currently dealing with the problem:
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/getting-to-grips-with-londons-homelessness-epidemic

Quote...his thirst for this quest seems to have deserted him. In fact, the number of people sleeping rough has pretty much doubled since 2008, to the point where 6,437 people did so in London last year.

Quotegiven further austerity cuts, a clampdown on squatting, soaring rent prices and the despised bedroom tax, you can't imagine things looking any less dismal when the figures come in for 2013.

Of course, the problem isn't confined to London. Nationally, 53,540 families are homeless – a five-year high that should make you feel pretty low. New figures show that the number of families shelved away into emergency, council-funded B&B accommodation is the highest it's been for ten years. And the whole of Manchester and Salford, a place with a homelessness problem so bad that people have been found living in caves,

Caves? Yes indeed:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/scandal-greater-manchesters-hidden-homeless-4303590

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This could probably use its own homelessness thread.

Junkenstein

Roger OK'd this. Until I hear otherwise I considering that as a living will.

But yes.

The Good Reverend Roger

http://www.kpho.com/story/23609067/suit-over-ariz-race-sex-abortion-ban-dismissed

QuotePHOENIX (AP) - A federal judge has dismissed two civil rights groups' lawsuit challenging an Arizona law banning abortions based on the race or sex of the child.

U.S. District Judge David G. Campbell's ruling Thursday says the NAACP's Maricopa County branch and the National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum don't have legal standing to sue.

The law makes it a felony to knowingly provide a sex- or race-based abortion.

The groups contended that the law unconstitutionally singles out Asian and black women based on stereotypes and the sponsors' beliefs that Asian and black women may choose an abortion because of race or the baby's sex.

Did a little reading on this.

If a white man rapes a black woman, this law can be used to prevent an abortion.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

In more humorous news:

QuotePHOENIX (AP) - Arizona's Republican leaders are known for picking fights with the federal government. But they're seething again now that the Grand Canyon is closed because of the budget crisis in Washington. Gov. Jan Brewer wants park reopened and has offered to pay for it with state money. But her proposal was rejected yesterday by a park official who said that as long as the federal government remains shut down, such a plan isn't an option.

Bear in mind that our legislature was among the loudest of those screaming "SHUT IT DOWN".

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Hey, didn't Sherrif Joe get dick slapped recently?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 06:32:07 PM
Hey, didn't Sherrif Joe get dick slapped recently?

Yep.  Not very effectively, though.

Cain

-

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 04, 2013, 09:17:28 PM
Going by his expression in that picture, I'd have to disagree.  Looks like he got slapped by a angry, bitter tasting hand.

Um, dude...That's his normal look.

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger