News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED Arizona Hilarity thread

Started by Requia ☣, April 22, 2010, 04:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

According to GOPlogic, trying to ensure every child can afford to go to college is "elitist".

Common sense?  This!  Is!  POLITICAL DEBATE!

LMNO

Well, according to Santorum, the belief that kids should be educated is "snobbish": http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-last-word/46550620/#46550620

AFK

We will march to American Exceptionalism with an army of Fry Cooks!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 28, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/michelle-ugenti-arizona-rep-justifies-tuition-hike_n_1304731.html

QuoteAn Arizona House committee passed a bill last week that would require every student at a public college in the state, regardless of economic status, to pay a minimum of $2,000 in tuition.

As Think Progress noted, nearly 100 Arizona students attended the committee hearing to speak out against the bill, HB 2675, expressing concern that it would make it more difficult for many students to afford college. Rep. Michelle Ugenti (R-Scottsdale) responded bluntly in favor of the new measure: "Welcome to life."

This doesn't just mean subsidies would be hit.  It also means that kids with full-ride scholarships would have to pay $2000 of their own money on top of the full tuition granted by the scholarship.

It does not raise the tuition itself, for people who are self-paying, with the exception that it would increase the minimum cost/semester to $2000.

We have the first outright "poor tax" in America.   :lulz:

The goal, obviously, is to prevent poor people from getting an education.

dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammmit dammit dammit dammit dammit damiit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit etc.

Cain

Education poll tax.  Even the Tories over here aren't feeling quite that bold.

Or they're just smarter.  Decades of debt = a better system of control than outright expelling people from the education system.  The latter tells people in no uncertain terms who their enemy is.  And another generation of Arizona's best and brightest will remember, when it comes to voting time.  All those old people in Phoenix aren't going to last forever, after all.  And there are more Latinos and students every year, on the other hand, who wont forget slights like ID checks or outrageous college fees.  Demographically, the GOP are killing themselves, even if it sucks in the immediate.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 28, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/michelle-ugenti-arizona-rep-justifies-tuition-hike_n_1304731.html

QuoteAn Arizona House committee passed a bill last week that would require every student at a public college in the state, regardless of economic status, to pay a minimum of $2,000 in tuition.

As Think Progress noted, nearly 100 Arizona students attended the committee hearing to speak out against the bill, HB 2675, expressing concern that it would make it more difficult for many students to afford college. Rep. Michelle Ugenti (R-Scottsdale) responded bluntly in favor of the new measure: "Welcome to life."

This doesn't just mean subsidies would be hit.  It also means that kids with full-ride scholarships would have to pay $2000 of their own money on top of the full tuition granted by the scholarship.

It does not raise the tuition itself, for people who are self-paying, with the exception that it would increase the minimum cost/semester to $2000.

We have the first outright "poor tax" in America.   :lulz:

The goal, obviously, is to prevent poor people from getting an education.

I would say it's unbelievable, we also have high schools that appear to be designed to fast-track kids to prison so that for-profit prison corporations can make money.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hey, an FYI: DO NOT go to Rep. Michelle Ugenti's website: Roger says it's virus-ridden and borked his computer.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on February 28, 2012, 10:07:09 PM
Hey, an FYI: DO NOT go to Rep. Michelle Ugenti's website: Roger says it's virus-ridden and borked his computer.

What the fuck?

Cain

I think Rep Ugenti just got a life lesson from people whose Computer Science III class did not cost them $2000

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on February 28, 2012, 10:07:09 PM

That's not the HuffPo link, right?  Just the article linked to there?

Cain

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2012, 10:11:30 PM
I think Rep Ugenti just got a life lesson from people whose Computer Science III class did not cost them $2000

That's my guess.  The fucking thing sliced through our firewall like a hot knife through butter, and took Henry and two other people to contain, let alone eliminate.

My hat is off to whichever student did that shit.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 29, 2012, 01:52:41 AM

That's my guess.  The fucking thing sliced through our firewall like a hot knife through butter, and took Henry and two other people to contain, let alone eliminate.

Shit fuck damn. Glad I didn't go to her page. My comp would have been toast.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 29, 2012, 01:52:41 AM

Yeah.  Sucks to be on the receiving end, of course, but you can't make an omelette and all that...

Also, surprisingly relevant to what I said above:

QuoteMatt Steinglass is half-right when he says this:

QuoteRepublicans aren't concocting grand strategies based on John Judis and Ruy Teixeira's thesis that they face demographic doom, because they don't believe that thesis. I think most Republicans actually don't think that their hard-line anti-immigration stance ought to be costing them the Hispanic vote. As far as they're concerned it's the right policy, and Hispanics ought to be able to see that.

I agree that most Republicans don't believe this thesis when it is presented to them. Many Republicans are scarcely aware of this argument in the first place, but they are far more likely to believe that America is and will continue to be a "center-right nation." When asked to provide evidence for this view, they will probably invoke polling data on ideological self-identification, and if that isn't enough they will point to the 2010 midterms. Many Republicans view the composition of the 2010 electorate as proof of the resilience of the Republican coalition after the aberrations of 2006 and 2008. 2012 will likely be a disillusioning election for them.

I think this can be said to be true for almost every facet of Republican thinking.  "It's RIGHT and you ought to be able to see that!"

Cain

Joe Arpaio is bringing Birtherism back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17229009

QuoteThe birth certificate of US President Barack Obama could well be a forgery, a high-profile Arizona sheriff has said.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County - who styles himself as America's toughest - unveiled the results of a probe into the origins of the document.

His investigators found "probable cause" the certificate may have been made by "forgery and fraud", he said.

Mr Arpaio, known for his tough stance on immigration, is being investigated over allegations of racial profiling.

The US justice department alleges that his office routinely discriminated against Latinos.

He also faces a federal grand jury investigation into the activities of his anti-corruption unit, and a forthcoming re-election bid in Maricopa County.
Tea Party request

Announcing the findings of his volunteer "Cold Case Posse", Mr Arpaio, 79, said analysis of an electronic copy of Mr Obama's birth certificate had revealed strong doubts about its authenticity.

"Based on all of the evidence presented and investigated I cannot in good faith report to you that these documents are authentic," Mr Arpaio said.

This is currently the top story on the BBC, as well, so I don't think this is going to go away.