News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED Arizona Hilarity thread

Started by Requia ☣, April 22, 2010, 04:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 28, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/michelle-ugenti-arizona-rep-justifies-tuition-hike_n_1304731.html

QuoteAn Arizona House committee passed a bill last week that would require every student at a public college in the state, regardless of economic status, to pay a minimum of $2,000 in tuition.

As Think Progress noted, nearly 100 Arizona students attended the committee hearing to speak out against the bill, HB 2675, expressing concern that it would make it more difficult for many students to afford college. Rep. Michelle Ugenti (R-Scottsdale) responded bluntly in favor of the new measure: "Welcome to life."

This doesn't just mean subsidies would be hit.  It also means that kids with full-ride scholarships would have to pay $2000 of their own money on top of the full tuition granted by the scholarship.

It does not raise the tuition itself, for people who are self-paying, with the exception that it would increase the minimum cost/semester to $2000.

We have the first outright "poor tax" in America.   :lulz:

The goal, obviously, is to prevent poor people from getting an education.

What's the reasoning behind passing something like this? Or are we reaching the point where politics becomes indistinguishable from comic book villainy?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Risus on March 02, 2012, 07:41:44 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/michelle-ugenti-arizona-rep-justifies-tuition-hike_n_1304731.html

QuoteAn Arizona House committee passed a bill last week that would require every student at a public college in the state, regardless of economic status, to pay a minimum of $2,000 in tuition.

As Think Progress noted, nearly 100 Arizona students attended the committee hearing to speak out against the bill, HB 2675, expressing concern that it would make it more difficult for many students to afford college. Rep. Michelle Ugenti (R-Scottsdale) responded bluntly in favor of the new measure: "Welcome to life."

This doesn't just mean subsidies would be hit.  It also means that kids with full-ride scholarships would have to pay $2000 of their own money on top of the full tuition granted by the scholarship.

It does not raise the tuition itself, for people who are self-paying, with the exception that it would increase the minimum cost/semester to $2000.

What's the reasoning behind passing something like this? Or are we reaching the point where politics becomes indistinguishable from comic book villainy?

To keep the poor from getting an education.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

An uneducated population with constant access to unchallenging entertainment that exalts being a useless attention whore is easier to control. Yes we are living in a dystopian future novel. I mean action movie. Novels are too intellectually stimulating.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

The official reasoning is that, apparently, over 50% of all Arizonan students paid no college bills at all.

Naturally, this statistic was bullshit, but the idea of anyone getting anything for free sent the GOP's faithful flying monkeys into spasms of rage.

Nephew Twiddleton

Mmmm made up statistics. The best kind.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Did they just accidentally their college football teams?
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Precious Moments Zalgo on March 02, 2012, 10:05:58 PM

I imagine that exceptions will be made.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Sports player earned it by playing for their team as opposed to people who earned it for getting good grades or whatever.

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 02, 2012, 10:22:47 PM
Quote from: Precious Moments Zalgo on March 02, 2012, 10:05:58 PM

I imagine that exceptions will be made.

Unless they are baseball players. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Freeky

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2012/02/27/432837/arizona-state-rep-university-students/?mobile=nc

Followup.

I'm glad I was already thinking of going to an out-of-state college and taking monkey to a less psychotic area to get schooling.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on March 14, 2012, 03:39:25 AM

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2012/02/27/432837/arizona-state-rep-university-students/?mobile=nc

Followup.

I'm glad I was already thinking of going to an out-of-state college and taking monkey to a less psychotic area to get schooling.

Come to the PNW. We have so much water it falls from the sky.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Guru Coyote on March 14, 2012, 04:05:31 AM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on March 14, 2012, 03:39:25 AM

Followup.

Come to the PNW. We have so much water it falls from the sky.

100% truth.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

But I've heard that, especially around the bridges, a lot of dihydrogen monoxide inhalation occurences happen. 

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on March 14, 2012, 04:30:18 AM
But I've heard that, especially around the bridges, a lot of dihydrogen monoxide inhalation occurences happen.

We also have monsters that breath it up here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Guru Coyote on March 14, 2012, 04:34:25 AM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on March 14, 2012, 04:30:18 AM

We also have monsters that breath it up here.

True story.