News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

UNLIMITED Arizona Hilarity thread

Started by Requia ☣, April 22, 2010, 04:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Vene on June 05, 2010, 05:13:19 PM
QuoteA group of artists has been asked to lighten the faces of children depicted in a giant public mural at a Prescott school.

The project's leader says he was ordered to lighten the skin tone after complaints about the children's ethnicity. But the school's principal says the request was only to fix shading and had nothing to do with political pressure.

The "Go on Green" mural, which covers two walls outside Miller Valley Elementary School, was designed to advertise a campaign for environmentally friendly transportation. It features portraits of four children, with a Hispanic boy as the dominant figure.

R.E. Wall, director of Prescott's Downtown Mural Project, said he and other artists were subjected to slurs from motorists as they worked on the painting at one of the town's most prominent intersections.

"We consistently, for two months, had people shouting racial slander from their cars," Wall said. "We had children painting with us, and here come these yells of (epithet for Blacks) and (epithet for Hispanics)."

Wall said school Principal Jeff Lane pressed him to make the children's faces appear happier and brighter.

"It is being lightened because of the controversy," Wall said, adding that "they want it to look like the children are coming into light."

Lane said that he received only three complaints about the mural and that his request for a touch-up had nothing to do with political pressure. "We asked them to fix the shading on the children's faces," he said. "We were looking at it from an artistic view. Nothing at all to do with race."
[emphasis mine]
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/04/20100604arizona-mural-sparks-racial-debate.html

QuoteIn a broadcast last month, according to the Daily Courier in Prescott, Blair mistakenly complained that the most prominent child in the painting is African-American, saying: "To depict the biggest picture on the building as a Black person, I would have to ask the question: Why?"

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/04/20100604arizona-mural-sparks-racial-debate.html#ixzz0q64JDkeL

These people are fucking insane.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Quote from: Nigel on June 06, 2010, 06:54:05 PM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on May 28, 2010, 06:26:05 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 28, 2010, 05:43:07 AM
Seriously, I don't know why we wanted Arizona in the first place. It used to be part of Mexico, we should give it back. As if Mexico would take it.

It's kind of going in that direction, though, amirite? Arizona is basically vying for independence, and that can only go in one direction.

I'm betting that in the next 5 years or so, I will have the unequalled opportunity to see a civil war up close.

Yeah, it's going to get REALLY interesting, very soon.
That's what they said about "Lost".
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Freeky

Quote from: BadBeast on June 09, 2010, 10:20:14 PM
Quote from: Nigel on June 06, 2010, 06:54:05 PM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on May 28, 2010, 06:26:05 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 28, 2010, 05:43:07 AM
Seriously, I don't know why we wanted Arizona in the first place. It used to be part of Mexico, we should give it back. As if Mexico would take it.

It's kind of going in that direction, though, amirite? Arizona is basically vying for independence, and that can only go in one direction.

I'm betting that in the next 5 years or so, I will have the unequalled opportunity to see a civil war up close.

Yeah, it's going to get REALLY interesting, very soon.
That's what they said about "Lost".

You haven't been paying attention to the things Dok and I have been saying about Tucson, have you?

BadBeast

Kind of, I have, I just associate hearing stuff like "It's going to get REALLY interesting, very soon"
with nothing ever really changing.

I suppose It's giving in to a conditioned response though, and I really should watch that stuff.  (Lost really was crap though!)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Freeky

Quote from: BadBeast on June 09, 2010, 11:08:44 PM
Kind of, I have, I just associate hearing stuff like "It's going to get REALLY interesting, very soon"
with nothing ever really changing.

I suppose It's giving in to a conditioned response though, and I really should watch that stuff.  (Lost really was crap though!)

Tucson is ALREADY very interesting. It's about to royally fucking, is what is.

Jasper

You guys should rally the cabals and begin drilling.

Freeky

BadBeast

Jo-Jo did. He's a bit of a loner, and a stoner. But even he knows it can't last.

Jasper

Iason Ouabache

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100612/us_time/08599199606400

QuoteBuoyed by recent public opinion polls suggesting they're on the right track with illegal immigration, Arizona Republicans will likely introduce legislation this fall that would deny birth certificates to children born in Arizona - and thus American citizens according to the U.S. Constitution - to parents who are not legal U.S. citizens. The law largely is the brainchild of state Sen. Russell Pearce, a Republican whose suburban district, Mesa, is considered the conservative bastion of the Phoenix political scene.

:facepalm: Why do they hate the Constitution so much?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Requia ☣

They love the constitution, its just they never read it.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Juana

Oh my god.  :lulz: and  :argh!: I hope someone draws them up short in public, preferably with cameras rolling.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Kai

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 14, 2010, 04:48:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100612/us_time/08599199606400

QuoteBuoyed by recent public opinion polls suggesting they're on the right track with illegal immigration, Arizona Republicans will likely introduce legislation this fall that would deny birth certificates to children born in Arizona - and thus American citizens according to the U.S. Constitution - to parents who are not legal U.S. citizens. The law largely is the brainchild of state Sen. Russell Pearce, a Republican whose suburban district, Mesa, is considered the conservative bastion of the Phoenix political scene.

:facepalm: Why do they hate the Constitution so much?

Enough people outside of Arizona either know the constitution and/or disagree with it that it will never happen. It is, in the most literal sense, unconstitutional, and there is no weaseling around the words because the constitution states it in very clear terms.

QuoteAll persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

You can argue that, say, Mexicans aren't people, birth is a quality possessed only by white christians, citizens doesn't really mean citizens, and Arizona isn't a state (which is an interesting thought), but all of those won't hold outside of idiotville.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Iason Ouabache

That's the most annoying part of this. The people pushing this HAVE to know that this is blatantly unconstitutional and would never get to the point that it will ever be enforced. They are cynically pushing these laws to garner votes from ignorant racists. The sad part is that it fucking works.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cramulus

hell yeah they know it's unconstitutional

from the article---

Quote[the 14th amendment] was intended to provide citizenship for freed slaves and served as a final answer to the Dred Scott case, cementing the federal government's control over citizenship.

But that was 1868. Today, Pearce says the 14th Amendment has been "hijacked" by illegal immigrants. "They use it as a wedge," Pearce says. "This is an orchestrated effort by them to come here and have children to gain access to the great welfare state we've created." Pearce says he is aware of the constitutional issues involved with the bill and vows to introduce it nevertheless. "We will write it right." He and other Republicans in the red state Arizona point to popular sympathy: 58% of Americans polled by Rasmussen think illegal immigrants whose children are born here should not receive citizenship; support for that stance is 76% among Republicans.

"We will write it right."

Thanks Pearce.