News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

UNLIMITED Arizona Hilarity thread

Started by Requia ☣, April 22, 2010, 04:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 29, 2010, 04:48:13 PM
Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 04:47:06 PM
Someone did a documentary on Sheriff Joe's prisons, though...it was that movie about American Drug War: The Last White Hope...

It was a complimentary story though.

Nah, it made those prisons look like gulags, trust me.  That was an AWESOME documentary--tore straight apart the notion that the War on Drugs was anything but a political machine.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2010, 04:49:38 PM
Michael Moore is a douchebag.

I'd rather Adam Curtis did a documentary, because not only would it be visually amazing, he'd research the shit out of it and go down all sorts of weird and wonderful avenues and probably end up proving Arizona is in fact legally Mexican and all Americans should be expelled, or something equally bizarre.

:lulz:

This thread is awesome. Jenne, you are awesome. Everything you are saying is hitting the nail right on the head.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

:oops:  Thanks, Kai...I think I feel too strongly about these things, sometimes.

Aucoq

Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 04:54:36 PM
Someone did a documentary on Sheriff Joe's prisons, though...it was that movie about American Drug War: The Last White Hope...

Nah, it made those prisons look like gulags, trust me.  That was an AWESOME documentary--tore straight apart the notion that the War on Drugs was anything but a political machine.

Wow, I had no idea that documentary even existed. I really need to watch it.  It sounds great.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 29, 2010, 04:48:30 PM
Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 03:22:27 PM
The thing is, this deportation thing, it's been TRIED BEFORE.  Over and over.  By the Feds, even.  And guess what?

IT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK.

Because we KNOW, from top-down, that this is not the way to flourish.  The knee-jerk reaction passes eventually, and immigrants flood in. 

BY THE BYE:  where's all the outrage at people overstaying their fucking visas?  Hm?

Anyone ever look at the figures there?  How many people come here as a "student" or on a temp work visa?  And set up families?

But ohoho!  Those folks aren't Latino!  (actually, some might be from Spain, perhaps Portugal...)  They are the rich, the White, the Yurpeen.  Or the Indian.  Or the Pakistani.  Or the Taiwanese.  ...but I digress.

They're NOT profilable, so they get, shall we say?...folded into the masses.

But where is the hysteria there?  Because I tell you what--you want to talk about endangered jobs?  THOSE are the folks takin' them.  They're middle class, they're probably  more educated than you, and guess what?  They're willing to work harder and longer because they know it's harder to start again and elsewhere if they don't.

...but again, perhaps I'm talkin' to myself here.

Well, that's because it's about racism, Jenne.  This is the exact sort of psychology used on poor White Southerners before and during the civil war.  "Your life may be shit, but at least you aren't on the bottom.  Do you want to be on the bottom?  No?  Then support us."

vex was trying to indicate that AZ had no other turnaround left in the road.  I felt strongly otherwise. 

What's nice about this is that finally, Latinos have some fucking political CLOUT.  BY SHEER VOLUME.

Jenne

Quote from: Aucoq on July 29, 2010, 05:05:34 PM
Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 04:54:36 PM

Wow, I had no idea that documentary even existed. I really need to watch it.  It sounds great.

It's like "Gasland" though...it's something that will make you sick to your stomach once it's over.

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 04:39:32 PM
NR, I'm PRO giving everyone health care and education...that's the foundation of my argument.  I wouldn't want deportation en masse because someone was seeking government help.  I think that's ass.  If you're contributing to the welfare of our government, they shouldn't be slapping your ass into jail or back across the border for it.

I understand and completely agree with you.  Sorry for not being clear, and thanks for responding.

The perspective you gained from your community, family, and so on, I learned a bit of from working with a migrant rights group and from reading a book ("Traffick: the illicit movement of people and things" by Gargi Bhattacharyya).  Also from making a lot of different friends when I moved to the city -- and getting hired faster or paid better than all the friends who were darker than me.  As kai said, you're hitting the nail on the head.

(good lesson for me here: Rhetorical questions, especially from n00bs == not a good idea.  I'm not much of a webtalker, and mistakes like this help me a lot.)

Back to reading the thread.
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Jenne

Quote from: Nurse Rhizome on July 29, 2010, 05:08:32 PM
Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 04:39:32 PM
NR, I'm PRO giving everyone health care and education...that's the foundation of my argument.  I wouldn't want deportation en masse because someone was seeking government help.  I think that's ass.  If you're contributing to the welfare of our government, they shouldn't be slapping your ass into jail or back across the border for it.

I understand and completely agree with you.  Sorry for not being clear, and thanks for responding.

The perspective you gained from your community, family, and so on, I learned a bit of from working with a migrant rights group and from reading a book ("Traffick: the illicit movement of people and things" by Gargi Bhattacharyya).  Also from making a lot of different friends when I moved to the city -- and getting hired faster or paid better than all the friends who were darker than me.  As kai said, you're hitting the nail on the head.

(good lesson for me here: Rhetorical questions, especially from n00bs == not a good idea.  I'm not much of a webtalker, and mistakes like this help me a lot.)

Back to reading the thread.

S'ok.  And that book sounds interesting.

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 05:10:05 PM
S'ok. 

Thanks.  :)

QuoteAnd that book sounds interesting.

It's excellent.
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 05:05:53 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 29, 2010, 04:48:30 PM
Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 03:22:27 PM
The thing is, this deportation thing, it's been TRIED BEFORE.  Over and over.  By the Feds, even.  And guess what?

IT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK.

Because we KNOW, from top-down, that this is not the way to flourish.  The knee-jerk reaction passes eventually, and immigrants flood in. 

BY THE BYE:  where's all the outrage at people overstaying their fucking visas?  Hm?

Anyone ever look at the figures there?  How many people come here as a "student" or on a temp work visa?  And set up families?

But ohoho!  Those folks aren't Latino!  (actually, some might be from Spain, perhaps Portugal...)  They are the rich, the White, the Yurpeen.  Or the Indian.  Or the Pakistani.  Or the Taiwanese.  ...but I digress.

They're NOT profilable, so they get, shall we say?...folded into the masses.

But where is the hysteria there?  Because I tell you what--you want to talk about endangered jobs?  THOSE are the folks takin' them.  They're middle class, they're probably  more educated than you, and guess what?  They're willing to work harder and longer because they know it's harder to start again and elsewhere if they don't.

...but again, perhaps I'm talkin' to myself here.

Well, that's because it's about racism, Jenne.  This is the exact sort of psychology used on poor White Southerners before and during the civil war.  "Your life may be shit, but at least you aren't on the bottom.  Do you want to be on the bottom?  No?  Then support us."

vex was trying to indicate that AZ had no other turnaround left in the road.  I felt strongly otherwise. 

What's nice about this is that finally, Latinos have some fucking political CLOUT.  BY SHEER VOLUME.

I agree...

Though, on the one hand, I can see how being a border state would have its own set of issues and the current drug wars/gang wars would certianly leave me uneasy if I had a ranch in Southern AZ or anywhere along that border.

I would even go so far as to say that States could implement laws targeting the Employers of illegal immigrants, which IMO would probably do more to stem then tide than randomly asking brown people for their papers.

But mostly, I find it hypocritical for a nation founded on people just walking in to have "legal immigration" vs. "illegal immigration"...  I mean quotas etc didn't even show up until the 1900's so those "my ancestors came over legally" better be recent immigrants or they can STFU.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

The Native American part of me wants to tell all of you to GTFO!

Cain

It would also help if there were more than 10,000 green cards a year up for grabs.

I mean, seriously, the UK has had to deal with larger waves of immigration than that in recent history (ie the last 10 years) and has done so fine, and our population is hovering about 60 million, not 307 million.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2010, 05:57:38 PM
It would also help if there were more than 10,000 green cards a year up for grabs.

I mean, seriously, the UK has had to deal with larger waves of immigration than that in recent history (ie the last 10 years) and has done so fine, and our population is hovering about 60 million, not 307 million.

I thought it was closer to 1,000,000 per year?

Either way, its well below what we can handle    :sad:

Cain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_residence_%28United_States%29#Types_of_immigration

According to this, it's 140,000, but your average Mexican labourer would only be able to apply for EB3 cards, of which there are only 10,000 available annually.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2010, 06:32:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_residence_%28United_States%29#Types_of_immigration

According to this, it's 140,000, but your average Mexican labourer would only be able to apply for EB3 cards, of which there are only 10,000 available annually.

Ah yeah, the 1,000,000 included H1B and people we give safe haven to apparently.....