News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

North Korean Suicide Human Torpedoes?!?!?

Started by Da6s, April 22, 2010, 06:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Vladimir Poopin on April 23, 2010, 04:52:17 AM
Pretty sure this story is legit. I believe I also saw something about it on Fox News, Huffington Post, and The Daily Mail.

:lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

Bullshit story is bullshit

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/04/north-koreas-human-torpedoes-myth-or-military-threat/

QuoteThe sourcing on these articles is a bit dubious: several of them rely on unnamed "experts" or "intelligence sources." As the Los Angeles Times notes, South Korea's defense minister, Kim Tae-young, has been publicly doubtful about whether a commando could manage to steer a small submersible like a SEAL Delivery Vehicle into a ship that was moving at speed. "SDVs are very slow and there is a low possibility that such vessels were used in an attack," Kim reportedly told lawmakers.

That said...

http://www.dailynk.com/english/read.php?cataId=nk02500&num=6445

QuoteLee also said he heard about human torpedo units, explaining, "They belong to the sea sniper brigades of the East Sea and West Sea fleets. Each fleet has one suicide unit. They travel on the submarine in the beginning but, from a certain point they ride on the torpedo and direct it to its target. Torpedo carriers are told that they can escape, however, in reality it is very difficult."

So they do exist, maybe, but they probably weren't actually used.

Drunken Monkey Cabal

Aside from the propaganda angle there is no need logistical logic for NK to have suicide torpedoes.

To blow up any mid sized vessel you probably only need around 200kgish of explosives depending on where you hit it/ effect method. something like Torpex perhaps.  Even a double hulled submersible can be destroyed relatively easily with a shaped charge. as opposed to something being single-man submarine sized.

As for guidance, human visibility is terrible underwater, add in reactions. A Simple magnetometer, sonar receiver or other seeker would work much more effectively, especially against surface vessels who can only manoeuvre within a limited plane.

Given the fact that NK has made a range of Ballistic missiles which are good enough to export, I'm pretty sure they can construct a half decent seeker for a torpedo for the say 65 kg weight envelope that a 'commando' would inhabit.

Triple Zero

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on April 23, 2010, 08:24:08 AMI have a friend who claims to be North Korean (ran away when she was a child, and was imprisoned by Japan as a spy, and eventually made her way to Canada) She says that the bestiality rate is astronomical and that prisoners are executed by being fed to a tiger, and often raped by the tiger as well. 

Most likely she is making it all up and is actually a middle aged shut in having a laugh at me, but its made North Korea sound way more interesting.

... if this is one of your necro slash death rape buddies then yeah they probably totally didn't lift that story from some sick hentai or shit.

Did the tiger have tentacles? How many dicks did it use to rape them with?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.