News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

ATTN: REDDIT SPAGS!

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, April 23, 2010, 04:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Some asshat has created a Discordian subreddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/PrincipiaDiscordia/

:asshat:

This reddit page can be used to index, vote on and give voted on feedback about the things you just voted on.
This reddit can also help expose PD.com and it's efforts to the Reddit community, many of whom would probably appreciate some of the asshattery that goes on here.

We'll see how it goes, but this could be a good opportunity to get new members and to get a good idea of what everyone things of the content on the forums and other related projects like BIP and the GASMs.

So far I've linked one of Roger's MSY pieces and Remington's wire art thread. Feel free to post the parts of the forum you think deserve more attention. If you're not a reddit user yet, you can sign up very easily and don't even need to use a valid e-mail if you don't want do.

Remington

Awesome. Imma submit LMNO's ESM pieces once they're finished and consolied into one, as well as some OKM stuff.
Is it plugged in?

LMNO

Quote from: Remington on April 23, 2010, 05:13:06 AM
Awesome. Imma submit LMNO's ESM pieces once they're finished and consolied into one, as well as some OKM stuff.

This is a polite request for you not to do so with the ESM stuff.

Remington

Quote from: LMNO on April 26, 2010, 03:00:50 PM
Quote from: Remington on April 23, 2010, 05:13:06 AM

This is a polite request for you not to do so with the ESM stuff.
Okay.
Is it plugged in?

-Kel-

Triple Zero

Hey I just recently made a Reddit account. (my username: tripzilch)

To anyone: You just need an account name and a password, not even email. Just click the "register" link, top right on http://www.reddit.com/r/PrincipiaDiscordia/ Super quick.

Um anyway, reddit spags? Now that I have an account what can I do with it? It seems like you can do a lot of powerful things with Reddit, some examples?

Also, this Discordian subreddit, I submit links to, yeah? Do I submit links that are not entirely Discordia related, yet I would post here because "the PD spags might enjoy it" as well, or just Discordianesque links?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 03, 2010, 03:32:48 PM
Um anyway, reddit spags? Now that I have an account what can I do with it? It seems like you can do a lot of powerful things with Reddit, some examples?

Post links, up/downvote links, post comments, up/downvote comments. Kind of like the SOMA but with more layers. Users have a composite karma level based on link and post karma massaged with magic.

Also, this Discordian subreddit, I submit links to, yeah? Do I submit links that are not entirely Discordia related, yet I would post here because "the PD spags might enjoy it" as well, or just Discordianesque links?

If they don't like it, they will downvote it.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 03, 2010, 03:32:48 PM
Hey I just recently made a Reddit account. (my username: tripzilch)

To anyone: You just need an account name and a password, not even email. Just click the "register" link, top right on http://www.reddit.com/r/PrincipiaDiscordia/ Super quick.

You can submit content to the PD subreddit, to the main reddit or other subreddits, post comments and vote on other comments and submissions. You can also make your own subreddits and become a mod in other subreddits.

If anyone is interested in helping to moderate the subreddit or becoming a regular submitter, let me know. Moderation will pretty much follow the same standards we follow here: Generally a hands-off approach, if it's not safe for work it needs a NSFW tag. That's about it really. Moderators are expected to have a working knowledge of Reddit and should be able to show that they would be a fair and impartial moderator.

As far as content goes, it's up to the people who submit to the PD subreddit to decide what to submit and whether or not they like the current submissions. That's the great thing about Reddit: It's pretty much up to anybody.

Triple Zero

Ok cool.

Earlier today I was browsing reddit, and wondered whether there is an easy way to copy a link/topic from another reddit (or the main reddit) to the PrincipiaDiscordia reddit. I couldn't find any "repost this in reddit XYZ" button. Is there a way besides manual copy/paste?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

You can post the permalink for one reddit topic in another subreddit. I think that's what's usually done. It's not exactly the same as what you seem to be looking for, but it references the original comments.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 03, 2010, 10:11:48 PM
Ok cool.

Earlier today I was browsing reddit, and wondered whether there is an easy way to copy a link/topic from another reddit (or the main reddit) to the PrincipiaDiscordia reddit. I couldn't find any "repost this in reddit XYZ" button. Is there a way besides manual copy/paste?

Not really, permalinking is for comments. You basically just post the URL reddit links to in whatever subreddit you want. You can also use the URL of the reddit submission if you want too.

Triple Zero

I've been browsing the Python and Programming reddits.

I still really get the feeling I'm missing something. The links are not *that* good. Also the fact that you don't get to write a short blurb or description when posting a link. Because really just the title is not going to do it for me. And then when I follow the link I have to click back to read if there are any comments, or use that frame-toolbar, which is just a bit weird. More useful than not having one, but also not super great.

Is it the firefox extensions that make reddit really worth it? Cause I dont use Firefox (often).

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I don't much like the programming reddit because I don't think the people who frequent it are really programmers. At least, that's how I rationalize the karma allocation there.

Triple Zero

Yeah the Python subreddit has slightly more interesting links, also the guys from pocoo.org post there and they make cool innovations in WCGI webdev stuff (like Jinja2, Paste or Flask).

Hm I just found that there are like zillions of subreddits related to programming, such as coding, code, onlycode, geneticalgorithms, machinelearning etc.

How do I keep track of all that? Some way to combine them into one feed?

Someone explain me here, what am I missing? Reddit apparently is one of the biggest social link aggegrator feeds around, but seriously, why?

How do you guys use reddit?

I mean I can imagine just browsing the WTF subreddit and the like to get links to funny/weird shit, which, I suppose is VladPoop's way of using it. But Reddit is supposed to be more than that no?

For example, now we have this PrincipiaDiscordia subreddit. If I post a link to it, how are people going to find it? I mean, I check it from time to time, but how do random reddit users see that link?