News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Censorship Over Some People's God/whathaveyou?

Started by maphdet, April 24, 2010, 04:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Quantum

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on April 25, 2010, 07:45:59 PM
No,  they are admitting that some Muslims are violent crazy fuckers, same as any religion.

How is what you just said different from what I just said?

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 25, 2010, 07:42:52 PM
retarded un-thought-out remarks like this are what gets people to vote Geert Wilders.

And what exactly was "retarded" about my remark? It is a documented fact that "Muslim" terrorists are drawn, almost entirely, from the non-practicing demographic of their respective countries. So yes, since they themselves display little to no actual devotion to Islam it would appear that they are in fact using Islam as an excuse, rather than acting out of a sincerely held belief. And all orthodox Muslim scholars agree that the Qu'ran only condones defending Islam from direct, physical attacks (meaning that someone is directly shooting at you personally or someone you can see, solely because you/they are a Muslim) not the pre-emptive/punitive Bush-style attacks that this group is talking about.

Quote from: Cain on March 28, 2010, 09:44:45 PM
Fuck it.  I'm going to get ordained as a Catholic priest and start robbing banks and mugging people.  I mean, apparently, you can be excused any crime if you're in with the Big V.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 28, 2008, 02:09:45 AM

Lets try it on an even simpler level:

1) There is a minimum energy/mass things can have, everything can be measured in a multiple of this minimum.

2) Objects at this size, or close to it, don't have an exact position or velocity, so they look like waves in most experiments.

3) If you try to measure the location, they act more like particles, just to fuck with you, but the velocity gets more uncertain, also just to fuck with you.

Conclusion: God hates physicists.

GASMs - PosterGASM (Calvinball edition), AbbyGASM

Pirate Pass Off Scorecard (5)

maphdet

Quote from: Kai on April 25, 2010, 08:25:40 PM
I think if the censoring was intentional it would be excellent satire.

I watched the show that night (plus the previous one) and though the same-Oh shit brilliant they are bleeping out the normal end of story lesson (along with the god in question)....however, it was not the writers/creators intent to bleep it out, unfortunately it was the network.

I think a few others in this thread said it perfectly---pussies!

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Template

Quote from: Lord Quantum on April 25, 2010, 09:21:21 PM
No,  they are admitting that some Muslims are violent crazy fuckers, same as any religion.

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 25, 2010, 07:42:52 PM
retarded un-thought-out remarks like this are what gets people to vote Geert Wilders.

And what exactly was "retarded" about my remark? It is a documented fact that "Muslim" terrorists are drawn, almost entirely, from the non-practicing demographic of their respective countries. So yes, since they themselves display little to no actual devotion to Islam it would appear that they are in fact using Islam as an excuse, rather than acting out of a sincerely held belief. And all orthodox Muslim scholars agree that the Qu'ran only condones defending Islam from direct, physical attacks (meaning that someone is directly shooting at you personally or someone you can see, solely because you/they are a Muslim) not the pre-emptive/punitive Bush-style attacks that this group is talking about.

Identity and inclusion.  You started off saying,
Quote from: Lord Quantum on April 25, 2010, 07:19:14 PM
So in other words, these people are openly admitting that Islam is in fact nothing more than a bunch of Arabian dudes with guns waiting for an excuse to murder someone? I bet Glenn Beck has already done a story on 'em.
In other words:

• There's "a bunch of Arabian dudes with guns waiting for an excuse to murder someone".
  • Some of these, possibly all, comprise "Islam".
    • "Islam" contains nothing else.

You more or less said, "Islam = Terrorist".  Did you mean to?

Lord Quantum

Short answer: No, I did not mean that Islam = terrorist.

Long answer: Unlike orthodox Muslims, the fundamentalists (which includes the group in question) believe that all Muslims that disagree with their mode of interpretation are in fact, not Muslims at all (and are therefore fair game). So from their perspective they comprise all of Islam and as previously stated, these groups are long on politics and short on prayers, so I would say that yes, fundamentalist Islam = terrorist. Especially since the movement as a whole appears to be purely political. But then again, there really isn't a whole lotta "Islam" in "fundamentalist Islam" (other than terminology) so I guess I should just refer to them as Arabian dudes with guns.
Fuck it.  I'm going to get ordained as a Catholic priest and start robbing banks and mugging people.  I mean, apparently, you can be excused any crime if you're in with the Big V.

1) There is a minimum energy/mass things can have, everything can be measured in a multiple of this minimum.

2) Objects at this size, or close to it, don't have an exact position or velocity, so they look like waves in most experiments.

3) If you try to measure the location, they act more like particles, just to fuck with you, but the velocity gets more uncertain, also just to fuck with you.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Lord Quantum on April 25, 2010, 09:21:21 PM

You said Islam was nothing but crazy fuckers.  I said some muslims were crazy fuckers

To put it another way

I could say "the people on PD.com are nothing but teenagers with Aspergers"

This is obviously very different from "some of the people on PD.com are teenagers with Aspergers"

basic sombunall difference.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Triple Zero

Yes, because there are enough Christians that beileve that Christians that would not die for their religion, or that are not against gay marriage or whatever, aren't "true Christians".

But you don't go saying Christians are nothing more but a bunch of white militant bigots either, because you know better and some of your best friends may be Christian.

If you'd have said fundamentalist Muslims, that'd be okay. Just like you can call the fundie Christians for what they are.

I dunno how much Muslims you got over there, but we have 5% over here versus 16% Christians (with only 6% practicing). Muslims are just another bunch of people with a crazy religion to me.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Can we talk about the South Park thing itself, though?

It was an image of mohammed in a bear suit.

That is to say, it was an image of a bear suit

The only thing that turned it into Mohammed wearing a bear suit was someone saying so.

Obviously, the next step is to point off-screen and say, "hey look, Mohammed in a bear suit", and not show any image at all; and I bet they'd still get death threats.

One thing the South Park guys are good at is showing how utterly ridiculous humans can be.

Cramulus

even better, it turned out the guy in the bear suit was actually Santa Claus.

That episode contained some excellent satire.

I especially liked all the religious figures (Buddha et al) blowing coke while talking about how it's offensive to depict Mohammad.

have you guys heard about where these threats came from? It's a militant group based in NEW YORK. These are the same guys who literally celebrate the anniversary of 9/11, fantasize about meeting Bin Laden, and openly recommend terrorism. and you know what? the first amendment protects their freedom to say these terrible things. It's just so ironic that they are attacking the very freedom which allows their group to exist.

John Stewart sent those guys a very strong Go Fuck Yourself.

Requia ☣

There's some stuff going around that the guys who sent the letter have nothing at all to do with Islam, and are trying to stir up anti-muslim sentiment.  Trying to verify now.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 26, 2010, 04:17:28 PM
There's some stuff going around that the guys who sent the letter have nothing at all to do with Islam, and are trying to stir up anti-muslim sentiment.  Trying to verify now.

Oh, I hope.  Oh, I hope.  Oh, I hope.
Molon Lube

Requia ☣

Can't confirm, but this seems plausible, neither of the founders of the group were born muslim, but Cain has pointed out in the past that people go from one form of extremism to another all the time.

Mostly though, their site is too damned intelligent.  If I didn't know that they had issued death threats or praised the Fort Hood gunman I'd swear that this was some east coast liberal blog.  Of course, my standard of nutters are the teabaggers and the truthers.  It's possible Islam breeds a better class of crazy than the rest of America.

Edit: They are also apparently expressing opinions that simply aren't shared by any other Islamic group.  Apparently South Park ran images of Mohammad in every episode for four years to try and tweak the Muslims.  They were never once threatened.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: maphdet on April 26, 2010, 12:07:32 AM
Quote from: Kai on April 25, 2010, 08:25:40 PM
I think if the censoring was intentional it would be excellent satire.

I watched the show that night (plus the previous one) and though the same-Oh shit brilliant they are bleeping out the normal end of story lesson (along with the god in question)....however, it was not the writers/creators intent to bleep it out, unfortunately it was the network.

I think a few others in this thread said it perfectly---pussies!

Yea, I had thought the same, that the writers were taking the joke even further by bleeping out Mohammed's name in the second, even tho I was disappointed that they bleeped out the whole end "lesson". Then the next day, I read the articles about the threats and network censoring and was further disappointed :(
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Lord Quantum

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was a fake, since the prohibition is only against showing his face. There's plenty of Muslim art out there that shows Muhammad, they just tend to leave a small white oval where his face would be.

maphdet

Quote from: LMNOOne thing the South Park guys are good at is showing how utterly ridiculous humans can be.

Indeed.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 26, 2010, 04:53:59 PMApparently South Park ran images of Mohammad in every episode for four years to try and tweak the Muslims.  They were never once threatened.

Where are these episodes? I am dying to see their rendition of this mohammad!

I guess my lazy ass could go research it eh.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Requia ☣

It's in the opening credits for four seasons.  The scene its taken from is the super best friends ep.

Also, while checking and making sure I had the episode name right (which I didn't, and corrected) I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:South_park_muhammad.jpg