Author Topic: EO Wilson on Order and Disorder.  (Read 6632 times)

Doktor Howl

• Вся ваша база принадлежит нам
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • Horrible Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: EO Wilson on Order and Disorder.
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 11:14:15 pm »
What we have here is two people not communicating, because they aren't speaking the same language.  One is speaking English, and the other is speaking hippie.
Morrissey is the crown prince of sad.  He teaches us that deaf/mute girls are terrible at telling you that a disaster is occurring, and that when you get famous, all your old friends hate you for buying new tee shirts.  Morrissey fans are best known for hugging their legs and biting their knees in the shower, over a girl that dumped them rather than learn their name, or binge-eating an entire pizza and then throwing it up on their man-boobs in the bath tub, while they squeeze their  testicles until they remember that they are worthless and do not deserve love.

Ikelos

• Known
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 01:19:09 am »
Take sources and statements. Use them via consistency to develop models/hypotheses of patterns/situations/events/etc. Test models with congruence with additional sources and statements. Rinse, repeat ad infinitum. Thats how we do historical sciences such as comparative biogeography, paleontology, geology, astronomy, systematics, and historical anthropology, also known as *gasp* history.
And if you use your sources in a respectful critical way and don't modify the information so that fits into your model, but rearrange the model so it explains the phenomenon you can attain objectivity.

The point should be, I'm using my terms in a very specific way. I have described and defined my terms clearly, and you obviously know what I mean. But right now, you aren't attacking my argument, you're playing with semantics even though there's no need because I clearly defined my terms. The reason isn't because you don't agree with it, it's because you don't LIKE it.
I guess, the discussion has already finshed for me, I'm just playing with semantics so I can learn more from your answers by applying unnecessary stress. After the definition there shouldn't have been any discussion on semantics.

What we have here is two people not communicating, because they aren't speaking the same language.  One is speaking English, and the other is speaking hippie.
:roll: maybe not hippie, just a little stubborn

Doktor Howl

• One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • Horrible Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 01:35:26 am »
I guess, the discussion has already finshed for me, I'm just playing with semantics so I can learn more from your answers by applying unnecessary stress. After the definition there shouldn't have been any discussion on semantics.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE ACHIEVED "SOCIOLOGICAL EXPERIMENT"!

:roll: maybe not hippie, just a little stubborn

ook ook.
Morrissey is the crown prince of sad.  He teaches us that deaf/mute girls are terrible at telling you that a disaster is occurring, and that when you get famous, all your old friends hate you for buying new tee shirts.  Morrissey fans are best known for hugging their legs and biting their knees in the shower, over a girl that dumped them rather than learn their name, or binge-eating an entire pizza and then throwing it up on their man-boobs in the bath tub, while they squeeze their  testicles until they remember that they are worthless and do not deserve love.

Kai

• A flea circus and
  • Deserved It
  • Richard Feynman fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 01:47:01 am »
Take sources and statements. Use them via consistency to develop models/hypotheses of patterns/situations/events/etc. Test models with congruence with additional sources and statements. Rinse, repeat ad infinitum. Thats how we do historical sciences such as comparative biogeography, paleontology, geology, astronomy, systematics, and historical anthropology, also known as *gasp* history.
And if you use your sources in a respectful critical way and don't modify the information so that fits into your model, but rearrange the model so it explains the phenomenon you can attain objectivity.

The point should be, I'm using my terms in a very specific way. I have described and defined my terms clearly, and you obviously know what I mean. But right now, you aren't attacking my argument, you're playing with semantics even though there's no need because I clearly defined my terms. The reason isn't because you don't agree with it, it's because you don't LIKE it.

I wasn't talking about attaining objec- oh wait, you're just being a jackass. Never mind.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Ikelos

• Known
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2010, 01:57:00 am »

Well, "learn more" not in a "sociological experiment" way, but in a "he has the pertinence and knowledge to explain things I understand differently" way... now that the patience part has ended, I'll simply stop

Doktor Howl

• One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • Horrible Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2010, 01:58:58 am »
A little late for that now.  You may as well ride it down in flames.   :lulz:

Ikelos

• Known
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2010, 02:03:06 am »
Also I apologize for the jackassery, I didn't meant to bother you up to that point

:D I guess this thing will follow me as long as I remain in PD.com... it is OK, I really enjoyed it

Doktor Howl

• One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • Horrible Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2010, 03:05:14 am »
Also I apologize for the jackassery, I didn't meant to bother you up to that point

:D I guess this thing will follow me as long as I remain in PD.com... it is OK, I really enjoyed it

No, plenty of people recover from this sort of thing.  Stop putting in assbaggery, and you'll stop getting it out.

Kai

• A flea circus and
  • Deserved It
  • Richard Feynman fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2010, 03:12:42 am »

Well, "learn more" not in a "sociological experiment" way, but in a "he has the pertinence and knowledge to explain things I understand differently" way... now that the patience part has ended, I'll simply stop

And I thought I was having a discussion and not a semantic wankfest. Fun. No, not really.

I think Adler and Doren's How to Read a Book should be required PD reading for people who can't seem to understand the point of agreeing on terms so a discussion can take place instead of jerking off to semantics all day long.

CLARIFICATION: THE POINT OF SEMANTICS IS TO DEFINE AND AGREE ON TERMS, NOT TO STROKE OFF TO AMBIGUOUS LANGUAGE.

I'm going to skewer the next solipsistic, linguistically wishy-washy bastard that walks in here.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

• One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • Horrible Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2010, 03:15:14 am »

And I thought I was having a discussion and not a semantic wankfest. Fun. No, not really.

I think Adler and Doren's How to Read a Book should be required PD reading for people who can't seem to understand the point of agreeing on terms so a discussion can take place instead of jerking off to semantics all day long.

CLARIFICATION: THE POINT OF SEMANTICS IS TO DEFINE AND AGREE ON TERMS, NOT TO STROKE OFF TO AMBIGUOUS LANGUAGE.

I'm going to skewer the next solipsistic, linguistically wishy-washy bastard that walks in here.

Kai will kill a motherfucker.

Placid Dingo

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Me!
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2010, 09:30:19 am »
If you've read Herodotus's histories, you begin to really appreciate the mess of fiction, fact, narrative and bias that is history.

Next you're going to tell me that people have conducted poorly designed experiments before.  :lulz:

I have such an infirm knowledge of science that I'll back away from that one given the increasingly homocidal tone of this thread...
If sheep entrails could in any way be related to the weather, i.e. sheep trails only originate where it rains, then you could use it as an accurate model for discerning what the weathers going to be like. Either, sheep shit makes it rain, or raining makes sheep shit. Sheep don't shit "randomly" sheep shit after they eat, it doesn't rain "randomly" it rains after water collects in the atmosphere.

LMNO

• Lubricated and Rabid Lungfish of Impending Sexdoom™
  • Deserved It
  • Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
    • View Profile
    • Earfatigue Productions: When it has to sound like you give a shit.
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2010, 12:46:56 pm »

I'll join you, as long as the next bastard that tries to stretch a metaphor beyond it's useful purpose just to score points gets nailed to a tree.