News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

EO Wilson on Order and Disorder.

Started by Kai, April 26, 2010, 03:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

What we have here is two people not communicating, because they aren't speaking the same language.  One is speaking English, and the other is speaking hippie.
Molon Lube

Ikelos

Quote from: Kai on June 03, 2010, 10:02:22 PM
Take sources and statements. Use them via consistency to develop models/hypotheses of patterns/situations/events/etc. Test models with congruence with additional sources and statements. Rinse, repeat ad infinitum. Thats how we do historical sciences such as comparative biogeography, paleontology, geology, astronomy, systematics, and historical anthropology, also known as *gasp* history.
And if you use your sources in a respectful critical way and don't modify the information so that fits into your model, but rearrange the model so it explains the phenomenon you can attain objectivity.

The point should be, I'm using my terms in a very specific way. I have described and defined my terms clearly, and you obviously know what I mean. But right now, you aren't attacking my argument, you're playing with semantics even though there's no need because I clearly defined my terms. The reason isn't because you don't agree with it, it's because you don't LIKE it.
I guess, the discussion has already finshed for me, I'm just playing with semantics so I can learn more from your answers by applying unnecessary stress. After the definition there shouldn't have been any discussion on semantics.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 03, 2010, 11:14:15 PM
What we have here is two people not communicating, because they aren't speaking the same language.  One is speaking English, and the other is speaking hippie.
:roll: maybe not hippie, just a little stubborn

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ikelos on June 04, 2010, 01:19:09 AM
I guess, the discussion has already finshed for me, I'm just playing with semantics so I can learn more from your answers by applying unnecessary stress. After the definition there shouldn't have been any discussion on semantics.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE ACHIEVED "SOCIOLOGICAL EXPERIMENT"!

:roll: maybe not hippie, just a little stubborn

ook ook.
Molon Lube

Kai

Take sources and statements. Use them via consistency to develop models/hypotheses of patterns/situations/events/etc. Test models with congruence with additional sources and statements. Rinse, repeat ad infinitum. Thats how we do historical sciences such as comparative biogeography, paleontology, geology, astronomy, systematics, and historical anthropology, also known as *gasp* history.
And if you use your sources in a respectful critical way and don't modify the information so that fits into your model, but rearrange the model so it explains the phenomenon you can attain objectivity.

The point should be, I'm using my terms in a very specific way. I have described and defined my terms clearly, and you obviously know what I mean. But right now, you aren't attacking my argument, you're playing with semantics even though there's no need because I clearly defined my terms. The reason isn't because you don't agree with it, it's because you don't LIKE it.

I wasn't talking about attaining objec- oh wait, you're just being a jackass. Never mind.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Ikelos

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 01:35:26 AM

Well, "learn more" not in a "sociological experiment" way, but in a "he has the pertinence and knowledge to explain things I understand differently" way... now that the patience part has ended, I'll simply stop

Doktor Howl

A little late for that now.  You may as well ride it down in flames.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Ikelos

Also I apologize for the jackassery, I didn't meant to bother you up to that point

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 01:58:58 AM

:D I guess this thing will follow me as long as I remain in PD.com... it is OK, I really enjoyed it

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ikelos on June 04, 2010, 02:03:06 AM
Also I apologize for the jackassery, I didn't meant to bother you up to that point

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 04, 2010, 01:58:58 AM

:D I guess this thing will follow me as long as I remain in PD.com... it is OK, I really enjoyed it

No, plenty of people recover from this sort of thing.  Stop putting in assbaggery, and you'll stop getting it out.
Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Ikelos on June 04, 2010, 01:57:00 AM

Well, "learn more" not in a "sociological experiment" way, but in a "he has the pertinence and knowledge to explain things I understand differently" way... now that the patience part has ended, I'll simply stop

And I thought I was having a discussion and not a semantic wankfest. Fun. No, not really.

I think Adler and Doren's How to Read a Book should be required PD reading for people who can't seem to understand the point of agreeing on terms so a discussion can take place instead of jerking off to semantics all day long.

CLARIFICATION: THE POINT OF SEMANTICS IS TO DEFINE AND AGREE ON TERMS, NOT TO STROKE OFF TO AMBIGUOUS LANGUAGE.

I'm going to skewer the next solipsistic, linguistically wishy-washy bastard that walks in here.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on June 04, 2010, 03:12:42 AM
Quote from: Ikelos on June 04, 2010, 01:57:00 AM

And I thought I was having a discussion and not a semantic wankfest. Fun. No, not really.

I think Adler and Doren's How to Read a Book should be required PD reading for people who can't seem to understand the point of agreeing on terms so a discussion can take place instead of jerking off to semantics all day long.

CLARIFICATION: THE POINT OF SEMANTICS IS TO DEFINE AND AGREE ON TERMS, NOT TO STROKE OFF TO AMBIGUOUS LANGUAGE.

I'm going to skewer the next solipsistic, linguistically wishy-washy bastard that walks in here.

Kai will kill a motherfucker.
Molon Lube

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Kai on June 03, 2010, 10:03:17 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on June 03, 2010, 12:56:41 PM
If you've read Herodotus's histories, you begin to really appreciate the mess of fiction, fact, narrative and bias that is history.

Next you're going to tell me that people have conducted poorly designed experiments before.  :lulz:

I have such an infirm knowledge of science that I'll back away from that one given the increasingly homocidal tone of this thread...
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on June 04, 2010, 03:12:42 AM

I'll join you, as long as the next bastard that tries to stretch a metaphor beyond it's useful purpose just to score points gets nailed to a tree.