Started by h-town, April 26, 2010, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Ah.  It all becomes clear.

Sorry to make you go through all that.

But this:
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 28, 2010, 07:25:58 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 28, 2010, 07:23:43 PM

2000: Cute punk-rock boy with pink hair has transformed into fat unemployed asshole in sweatpants.

And that's what happened to the punk movement, boys and girls.  Just like the hippies, only they became insurance salesmen.

Kind of makes up for it.   :lol:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on April 28, 2010, 07:28:36 PM
Ah.  It all becomes clear.

But this:

2000: Cute punk-rock boy with pink hair has transformed into fat unemployed asshole in sweatpants.

And that's what happened to the punk movement, boys and girls.  Just like the hippies, only they became insurance salesmen.

Kind of makes up for it.   :lol:

Makes up for what?

Dok,
Dense.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 28, 2010, 07:29:31 PM
Ah.  It all becomes clear.

But this:

And that's what happened to the punk movement, boys and girls.  Just like the hippies, only they became insurance salesmen.

Kind of makes up for it.   :lol:

Makes up for what?

Dok,
Dense.

Having those bastards spagging up our clubs with their punk rock all those years.

-Nigel, former punk rock girlfriend.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 28, 2010, 07:33:05 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 28, 2010, 07:29:31 PM
Ah.  It all becomes clear.

But this:

And that's what happened to the punk movement, boys and girls.  Just like the hippies, only they became insurance salesmen.

Kind of makes up for it.   :lol:

Makes up for what?

Dok,
Dense.

Having those bastards spagging up our clubs with their punk rock all those years.

-Nigel, former punk rock girlfriend.

As I recall, 80s punk mostly sucked.  Technical skill on instruments was disdained, and hoarsely screaming into the mike was what passed for singing.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Several things happened simultaneously right there.

I was apologizing to Nigel for repeating her history, but I thought your zinger was worth it.

Then, I realized you said "punk rock --> insurance" which made me laugh on a very personal level.

Finally, as someone once said, 90% of everything is crap.  I admit punk was part of this.

However, some real gems were buried in that crap, and I hold them dear.

Minutemen
Husker Du
Wire
Gang of Four
Buzzcocks

For example.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on April 28, 2010, 07:42:36 PM
Finally, as someone once said, 90% of everything is crap.  I admit punk was part of this.

Theodore Sturgeon.  Also, I did say "most".  There was some good stuff.

Quote from: LMNO on April 28, 2010, 07:42:36 PM
Husker Du

Yes.
Molon Lube

PopeTom

:lulz:

Isn't that what happens to most movements?

The youngsters think they are onto something hip, new, and awesome, possibly even world changing, and the previous generation just doesn't get it.  Then it turns out for ~90% it's just a phase.  They grow out of it and become overweight productive members of society.  What's left just cling onto glory days, dreaming about how awesome they used to be.  Life being the cruel mistress that she is makes these people overweight too.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Elder Iptuous

I think another part of it is that they get so occupied with 'fighting the man' that they stumble when they find that they have been handed the reigns and are now 'the man'....
'oh, fuck!  what do i do now?  shit.... what did my folks do?  i'll do that.   just not as well.'