News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

The Zeitgeist Movement

Started by The Wizard, April 27, 2010, 02:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard

Hey, do you guys know anything about some movement called Zeitgeist? A friend of mine has recently gone through a phase similar to one I had last summer. He watched this documentary put out by these guys, and it's become his Illuminatus! in a sense. Anyway, he's really into this movement, and I'd like to be able to discuss it with him. I haven't had time enough lately to do anything more than peruse these guy's website. Anyone know anything?

P.S. Not asking you guys to do my research for me, just asking whether you guys know the basics or someplace I can start when I have the time.
Insanity we trust.

Elder Iptuous

the movie's all over the intarweb.  it came out a decent number of years ago.
i didn't know there was anything more to it than the movie.
some of it's interesting.  some of it's crap.
some people have latched onto crazyconspiracymovie as infallible Truth.
if your friend is calling it a 'movement' i'm guessing he's one of 'em...

The Wizard

Quotesome people have latched onto crazyconspiracymovie as infallible Truth.
if your friend is calling it a 'movement' i'm guessing he's one of 'em...

He's convince that all of the world's problems can be traced back to the government, or to big business. So yeah, he's one of them.
Insanity we trust.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on April 27, 2010, 02:58:14 AM
Quotesome people have latched onto crazyconspiracymovie as infallible Truth.
if your friend is calling it a 'movement' i'm guessing he's one of 'em...

He's convince that all of the world's problems can be traced back to the government, or to big business. So yeah, he's one of them.

well, that's not terribly unfounded....
but i bet he's buying a whole bunch of other crap, too.

heh. i just looked up their website, zeitgeistmovement.com
man, they're probably raking in the money.
i gotta do that shit some day....

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Telarus

Hahahah. Yeah, RAW and Robert Shea definitely wove myth and conspiracy better than these guys. Mostly because they kept going, "Oh, so you Really Believe That? Here have a taste of this completely contradictory model...."

Thanks for the link to the breakdown, Iason.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

the last yatto

"This is Horus. He is the Sun God of Egypt of around 3000 BC"

:spittake:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Chief Uwachiquen

Quote from: Pēleus on April 27, 2010, 06:31:46 AM
"This is Horus. He is the Sun God of Egypt of around 3000 BC"

:spittake:

He is the Sun God, he is The One God, RAH RAH RAH.


Lies

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on April 27, 2010, 11:08:33 AM
Quote from: Pēleus on April 27, 2010, 06:31:46 AM
"This is Horus. He is the Sun God of Egypt of around 3000 BC"

:spittake:

Isis Isis Isis, Ra Ra Ra!


fixt to be Bumper sticker I like
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

bugmenоt

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zeitgeist_MovementConcepts Advocated by The Zeitgeist Movement

    * No money: money creates established institutions that are forced to protect themselves which inhibits progress[7].
    * Automation: Automation is more productive than human labor and frees mankind from repetitive and tedious tasks[8].
    * Artificial intelligence: Machines are needed to make decisions objectively, unlike humans who are susceptible to personal projections, desires or bias. Machines are also needed to store and retrieve information because humans have a limited capacity for memory.[9].
    * Technological unification of the globe: Globally shared technology is required to monitor planetary resources[10].
    * Scientific methodology: Planetary government is obligated to methodology not individuals. Governing decisions are arrived at through scientific method, not belief[11].
    * No property: Property is wasteful and unsustainable.[12].
    * Sustainable city systems:Belief in a unified systems approach. Systems theory and a systemic approach for a self-sustaining globe and culture can be modeled on a smaller scale with a city-size system[13].

How can biased thinking humans program an objectively deciding machine?
However, I'd like to be in the developer team of that piece of software.

LMNO


Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zeitgeist_MovementConcepts Advocated by The Zeitgeist Movement

    * No money: money creates established institutions that are forced to protect themselves which inhibits progress[7].
    * Automation: Automation is more productive than human labor and frees mankind from repetitive and tedious tasks[8].
    * Artificial intelligence: Machines are needed to make decisions objectively, unlike humans who are susceptible to personal projections, desires or bias. Machines are also needed to store and retrieve information because humans have a limited capacity for memory.[9].
    * Technological unification of the globe: Globally shared technology is required to monitor planetary resources[10].
    * Scientific methodology: Planetary government is obligated to methodology not individuals. Governing decisions are arrived at through scientific method, not belief[11].
    * No property: Property is wasteful and unsustainable.[12].
    * Sustainable city systems:Belief in a unified systems approach. Systems theory and a systemic approach for a self-sustaining globe and culture can be modeled on a smaller scale with a city-size system[13].
    * No primates: Only entities that can prove they are not primates are permitted.  History has shown that any time primate have been added to a system, they break it.  Therefore, no monkeys allowed.

Fixed to provide the only way this thing will work.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on April 27, 2010, 04:14:37 PM

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zeitgeist_MovementConcepts Advocated by The Zeitgeist Movement

    * No money: money creates established institutions that are forced to protect themselves which inhibits progress[7].
    * Automation: Automation is more productive than human labor and frees mankind from repetitive and tedious tasks[8].
    * Artificial intelligence: Machines are needed to make decisions objectively, unlike humans who are susceptible to personal projections, desires or bias. Machines are also needed to store and retrieve information because humans have a limited capacity for memory.[9].
    * Technological unification of the globe: Globally shared technology is required to monitor planetary resources[10].
    * Scientific methodology: Planetary government is obligated to methodology not individuals. Governing decisions are arrived at through scientific method, not belief[11].
    * No property: Property is wasteful and unsustainable.[12].
    * Sustainable city systems:Belief in a unified systems approach. Systems theory and a systemic approach for a self-sustaining globe and culture can be modeled on a smaller scale with a city-size system[13].
    * No primates: Only entities that can prove they are not primates are permitted.  History has shown that any time primate have been added to a system, they break it.  Therefore, no monkeys allowed.

Fixed to provide the only way this thing will work.

You've been on this kick for a while now... did something bad happen personally lately?

I'll only say this once, because I've been thinking it for a while and biting my tongue... and further, I won't be back in to argue it because I fully admit it is a belief of mine and not backed up by any evidence, so there would be no point arguing it... but you do realize that the type of thinking you are promoting above is basically a cop out, making an excuse for our shitty behaviour and hiding behind the "Oh well, I'm a monkey, that's how we are and always will be", right?  Just saying.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I'm just pointing out that the Zeitgeist propositions run diametrically opposed to the way that humans, when grouped together, tend to act given a long enough timeline.  While I'm not saying that individuals will always revert to primate behavior in every situation and that rationality is impossible, I am saying that building a system on the idea that they won't behave that way is, well, silly at best and disingenuous at worst.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on April 27, 2010, 05:03:21 PM
I'm just pointing out that the Zeitgeist propositions run diametrically opposed to the way that humans, when grouped together, tend to act given a long enough timeline.  While I'm not saying that individuals will always revert to primate behavior in every situation and that rationality is impossible, I am saying that building a system on the idea that they won't behave that way is, well, silly at best and disingenuous at worst.

That's just more of the same, but ok.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman