News:

My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

I've gone off the geek end...

Started by Dimocritus, April 27, 2010, 06:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

For years I have shunned many games for being too, well, nerdy, despite the fact that I really enjoy games in general. In January, I picked up MTG (which I had avoided since it's conception based on the above reason) and within months, excelled to a point where I completly decimate players with ten-plus years of experience. Needing a heavier fix after performing so well, I began to seek out more sophisticated "thrills" in gaming. That's when "it" happened. I started a campaign in D&D. For the past two weeks, I have read countless material on the subject. While I am better aquainted with the game now, it still can get really confusing. Anyhow, I'm about to start a solo campaign as a bard, but everything I read just reasserts that a bard class really can't function on his own. Should I pick a different class, or is there a way to make it work? Also, any other general tips would be helpful...
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Elder Iptuous

a solo campaign?
as in, playing with just the DM and you?

also, is M:tG still going strong?  i haven't played in years...
i wonder how much my cards are worth these days?

Jasper

Solo campaigns are good, as long as it's the right DM.  Plot progrression happens much faster.

Telarus

Hirelings, Hireling, Hirelings.

As a Bard, your 'Band' are your Mooks. Then you need a bodyguard or two (front-line). This will let you use your bard's 'party-buff' specials.

Even befriending and NPC or two to have your back in a fight is critical at first level.

What edition?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Iptuous on April 27, 2010, 09:05:37 PM

Yep. A bunch of my friends are into it, and I play on occasion.

Rare cards from old series can be worth a fair bit. Unless it's a Black Lotus card, in which case it's a valueless piece of crap that you should send to me immediately.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cainad on April 28, 2010, 05:28:36 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on April 27, 2010, 09:05:37 PM

Yep. A bunch of my friends are into it, and I play on occasion.

Rare cards from old series can be worth a fair bit. Unless it's a Black Lotus card, in which case it's a valueless piece of crap that you should send to me immediately.
i've got a very convincing fake lotus that i play(ed) with. it was made from a beta collector set.  you know the ones with the gold borders on the backs.  it was rebacked with a regular card so it looks like a regular beta.  just a little thicker, but in its sleeve nobody questions it.
ive got some moxes, an ancestral recall, time twister... some good stuff.

Dimocritus

Yeah, just the DM and me. He's (as far as I can tell, anyhow) a pretty good DM. He seems to be a bit more focused on playing a fun game, as opposed to making sure every minute detail is strictly by the book.

Quote from: Telarus on April 27, 2010, 10:18:56 PM
Hirelings, Hireling, Hirelings.

As a Bard, your 'Band' are your Mooks. Then you need a bodyguard or two (front-line). This will let you use your bard's 'party-buff' specials.

Even befriending and NPC or two to have your back in a fight is critical at first level.

What edition?

I dig. He actually set me up with a lvl in bard, a lvl in fighter and a lvl in rogue, to give me an initial advantage.

3.5, I beleive.

As far as MTG goes, I'm really digging it. I play on-line as well, which is cool, but I'm always looking for new opponents. That game gives me a rush for some reason, I'm addicted I think.
And I was wondering, actually, do you suppose people could play MTG over something like skype?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: dimo on April 28, 2010, 04:03:08 PM
Yeah, just the DM and me. He's (as far as I can tell, anyhow) a pretty good DM. He seems to be a bit more focused on playing a fun game, as opposed to making sure every minute detail is strictly by the book.

:crankey:

Dok,
Book DM.
Molon Lube

Dimocritus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 28, 2010, 04:04:39 PM

Dok,
Book DM.

It's not like he's being really lax or anything (I'd preffer it to be as btb as reasonably possible), and also, keep in mind, I've never played d&d before, and it can be a little overwhelming at first when every little detail needs to be done btb.

Cramulus

1 DM + 1 Player can be fun, but you'll be missing out on all the teamwork and strategy that comes with being in a party. I you like the competitive flavor of Magic, I think you'll like the tactical flavor of D&D. IMO 4th edition pulls this off a bit better, although 3rd edition is great for all the ways you can powergame and break the system.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on April 28, 2010, 05:06:29 PM
1 DM + 1 Player can be fun, but you'll be missing out on all the teamwork and strategy that comes with being in a party. I you like the competitive flavor of Magic, I think you'll like the tactical flavor of D&D. IMO 4th edition pulls this off a bit better, although 3rd edition is great for all the ways you can powergame and break the system.

Pathfinder ("3.75") is what 4th ed should have been.  It cleaned up the system, but allowed for more unique character builds than 4th ("WoW on tabletop").
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

I was looking to get into D&D last summer, I read up a bit on 3.5 and 4th editions, but couldn't really find anyone in the area.  Now I can't dedicate a night to it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 28, 2010, 04:04:39 PM

Dok,
Book DM.

Ha hah, Dok.  You would hate playing with my group.  We F.U.D.G.E.   :lulz:

Elder Iptuous

As far as MTG goes, I'm really digging it. I play on-line as well, which is cool, but I'm always looking for new opponents. That game gives me a rush for some reason, I'm addicted I think.
And I was wondering, actually, do you suppose people could play MTG over something like skype?

I'd like to play a game of magic. that'd be sweet!
couldn't we just point our cams down at our play area, and it'd be like having one table between us?