Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Robin Hood

Started by Dysnomia, April 28, 2010, 06:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysnomia

Suu: what do you think of the costumes?   :lulz:

Everyone else: What do you all think?
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Sir Squid Diddimus

:?  haven't seen it? don't wanna?

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Richter

I suppose there's a reason for someone to havea Mongolian bow in medieval Britain?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Rumckle

I think in that TV series he brought his bow back with him from the crusades. IIRC
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

the last yatto

yep they even have a Muslim Saracen with the boys in the forrest
interview with her after the first season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrgZ6DGdzmw
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Kai

Quote from: Rumckle on April 28, 2010, 11:46:34 AM
I think in that TV series he brought his bow back with him from the crusades. IIRC

At least they give a reason for the inconsistency. I don't recall anything in the legend about him fighting mongols though.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Richter

I'll have to read up on styles of 10-1200's Saracen bow styles, the design looks a bit farther east.  Cross pollination in gear happened though, so I'll give them that much.

Costumes I'm letting Suu take.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

what are we talkinga bout? Is this a movie or something?

also: historical accuracy, historical shmaccuracy

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on April 28, 2010, 03:16:20 PM
what are we talkinga bout? Is this a movie or something?

New Movie with Russell Crow, Ridley Scott directing.  Essentially, the "Robin Hood: Origins" story.

AFK

Looks like an interesting movie.  I liked Gladiator and Ridley Scott has produced some pretty good movies and TV shows.  I think he was behind Numb3rs IIRC. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

Please to note: He also has a scimitar. Obvious Eastern kit is obvious. Why? Robin Hood fought in the Crusades, that's why. Spoils of war from the Arabs and Turks.

There was enough trade going on throughout Europe that could have easily brought Eastern designs into use, however, into England is a bit different, because it would have had to travel quite far and England was always "behind the times" when it came to things such as weaponry and clothing until the Italians took over most of the trade from the Silk Road. At the time of Robin Hood (12th-13th century) the Byzantine Empire was still the stronghold of Eastern trade and a lot of goods didn't make it too far past the Holy Roman Empire. They were greedy and they didn't want the good stuff getting far. However, it's still not impossible, especially for Crusaders.

As for the clothing, the BBC version of Robin Hood is actually quite good sans the decorative aspect of things. Pullover jerkins were definitely in use as a thin armor, that leather bog coat should probably go, and the boots probably wouldn't have pullover, they should be closed by buckles or ties and wrapped tightly with wool, linen, or leather to support the ankle and help keep your feet dry in the damp woods. Other than that, not enough fabric. They're wearing early Renaissance cuts instead of something more to the correct time period. Their pants are very incorrect, should be hose or trewes and braies.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1100%E2%80%931200_in_fashion

Tunics were larger and less tailored. They were still following Roman patterns (and continued to do so well into the 1500s in some places) and didn't have the knowledge of pattern drafting yet. It even took Italy another 200 years to get it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

...and don't even get me started on the movie. I'm going for pretty shinies, like Gladiator. I'm turning off the accuracy alarm when I go in to see it, because I accidentally left it on when I saw Clash of the Titans.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

Quote from: Suu on April 28, 2010, 03:29:23 PMI accidentally left it on when I saw Clash of the Titans.

Do tell!  Or did I miss where you talked about it?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

it's a miracle they all have such perfect teeth, neatly trimmed fingernails and smooth shaven neck hairs!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.