News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

SOUS VIDE WITH A BEER COOLER

Started by Triple Zero, April 29, 2010, 07:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

This is awesome. I'm trying it right now. I just hope that the weather will stay good long enough so that we can sear it off on the BBQ.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Too bad you can't still buy those submersible beverage heaters. That and a thermostat would make it perfect.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

I can't find it but I'm positive that ECH did a thread about cooking like this at these low temperatures.

I don't know, I know it's done, but I can't get past not adding enough heat to kill certain germs and such.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Khara on April 29, 2010, 08:28:09 PM
I can't find it but I'm positive that ECH did a thread about cooking like this at these low temperatures.

I don't know, I know it's done, but I can't get past not adding enough heat to kill certain germs and such.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=16400.0
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 29, 2010, 08:31:32 PM
Quote from: Khara on April 29, 2010, 08:28:09 PM

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=16400.0

Thanks, I could not remember what it was called.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like that is started right out as a slapfight, and degenerated from there. Now, THAT's a thread!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 29, 2010, 08:44:16 PM
I like that is started right out as a slapfight, and degenerated from there. Now, THAT's a thread!

Oh I didn't mean it that way.  Just that I'm of the opinion it might not be the healthiest way to cook yanno?

Freeky

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 29, 2010, 08:51:17 PM
Mesquite smoking is BORING. :sad:

I agree.  But then again anything can get boring after a while.  I like to try different woods and spices, even teas.  Applewood and tea smoke salmon is delicious.

Freeky

Quote from: Khara on April 29, 2010, 08:57:19 PM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 29, 2010, 08:51:17 PM
Mesquite smoking is BORING. :sad:

I agree.  But then again anything can get boring after a while.  I like to try different woods and spices, even teas.  Applewood and tea smoke salmon is delicious.

Well, yeah, I agree with that. But mesquite is doubly boring here because it's free, it grows all over the place.  :sad:

ETA: And thus my parents only use that to smoke with, or to make fires with.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Khara on April 29, 2010, 08:46:04 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 29, 2010, 08:44:16 PM

Oh I didn't mean it that way.  Just that I'm of the opinion it might not be the healthiest way to cook yanno?

I didn't mean that you meant it that way, I meant that I like that thread. :) Also, yeah, sous vide sounds like an open-arm invitation to food poisoning, but hell, maybe not.

BADGE OF HONOR

p sure it works through the magic of pasteurization
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Triple Zero

Well I just finished my first homemade sous-vide steak, and it was DE FUCKING LICIOUS

Cooked it at about 59C (138F), which was slightly too much, but we were erring on the safe side indeed for bacteria as well as we aimed higher because the beer-cooler would lose temperature (but it didn't so much).

This ended up as a medium steak. Next time we will use 55C (131F) for medium-rare.

Basic procedure, rub the raw steaks with some salt, pepper and uhm, chicken spices (main ingredients paprika powder and thyme powder, no salt fortunately--the kitchen we were at didnt leave much choice), put in airtight ziploc bags, immerse in water of the correct temperature (yay meat thermometer).
Then you wait an hour, take the meat out which is now cooked. The recipe says clarified butter, but we used hot oil, just 30 seconds on either side to make a browning, remember that it's the grey bit between the browning and the cooked meat that is tough, so you want ot have that as thin as possible.

AND YUM.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.