News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

SOUS VIDE WITH A BEER COOLER

Started by Triple Zero, April 29, 2010, 07:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Just tried the second batch which was from--much cheaper--frozen steaks (which we thawed first). They turned out a bit more on the rare side of medium, which was good. But the quality of the meat was very obvious. I guess it only makes sense that freezing deteriorates the quality of meat. So if you're gonna try this experiment, get some good quality steaks, it's worth it.

These are gonna make wonderful sandwich filling tomorrow though :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Hey, that's cool that it worked out :thumb:

Triple Zero

Yeah I'm kind of impressed how easy it was :) The only fancy thing you need is a meat thermometer.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

BADGE OF HONOR

QuoteHow do I know how long to cook a steak/fish/basselope sous-vide?

Do what I do: Take this link, book mark it, love it. Douglas Baldwin, A Practical Guide to Sous-Vide Cooking. In fact, why are you even listening to me? Listen to him. This is the resource that will get you started, and then he's figured out safe cooking times for just about everything.

But how can it be safe to cook at such low temperatures?

Pasteurization, defined heat treating the food to reduce the number of vegetative pathogens to a safe level, is acheived with a balance of both temperature and time. This is where the Baldwin guide really shines - he provides table after table of the cooking times necessary at different temperatures for different foods to achieve pasteurization.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Triple Zero

Badge where'd you get that quote from? I've been meaning to look up a table of proper sous-vide temperatures, and that seems like a good place to start.

Also, pictures:

It's the piece of (cheaper) steak left over the next day, I made it into a sandwich with some slices of cucumber and mustard.

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Also,

Quote- Pasteurizing avocados. Since you can maintain a low enough temperature to denature the enzymes without altering the flavor of the food, you can effectively pasteurize avocadoes to prevent them from browning. Place them in a water bath at 42-43C for at least 1 hour.

:aaa:

Jasper

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on May 02, 2010, 08:57:15 PM
Also,

Quote- Pasteurizing avocados. Since you can maintain a low enough temperature to denature the enzymes without altering the flavor of the food, you can effectively pasteurize avocadoes to prevent them from browning. Place them in a water bath at 42-43C for at least 1 hour.

:aaa:

Bruno

I have to try this. I have a big styrofoam cooler that would be perfect.

I've done salmon sous vide in a 2 quart disposable/reusable Glad container. The salmon was  already in a vacuum sealed bag. I usually cook it at 125°F for 20 minutes, and it comes out great.
Formerly something else...

East Coast Hustle

sous vide is still fucking disgusting.

sous vide will always BE fucking disgusting.

all this thread proves is that plenty of people enjoy eating disgusting food.

I mean, there are entire cultures on this planet that enjoy lutefisk.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

I still haven't tried it, so the jury's out until I get a proper thermometer.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 03, 2010, 04:23:02 PM

Hey Suu, are you letting him get away with this??

:funky:

Sir Squid Diddimus

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 07, 2010, 03:59:07 PM
Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 03, 2010, 04:23:02 PM

Hey Suu, are you letting him get away with this??

:funky:

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"