News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Ubuntu 10.04

Started by NWC, April 29, 2010, 07:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

Anyone else here use Ubuntu? I just downloaded the new version which came out today, and I'm about to install it. I'm pretty excited, I've heard this version is the one that's going to make it more mainstream, laptop companies are supposed to start selling laptops with it pre-installed this summer. It'll have a 5 year support plan and it's free(as always), and from what I've heard it just functions wonderfully. And apparently they got the boot time down even lower, though it's already super fast with 9.10.

I'm not super linux nerdy or anything, but honestly Ubuntu runs so much better than windows or mac OS's. I keep vista on this laptop and dual boot(for those who don't know, that means I get to choose which operating system I want to run on startup), but it's really only for Age of Empires III, which I play maybe once a week, and itunes, even though there are linux replacements. Otherwise I only use Ubuntu, it's so much faster and nicer.

www.ubuntu.com for more info.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Requia ☣

I hear it has less brown.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Remington

I'm planning on testing it out in the next week or so.
Is it plugged in?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Ha, shows how aware I am of things right now!

I use Ubuntu on both my netbook (Asus EeePC) and my laptop (Toshiba), and I love it. I forgot that 10.04 was coming out this month. Probably will install it tonight on my laptop and some other time on my netbook.

@NWC: does WINE not handle AoE III?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Requia ☣

Just cause WINE supports a game doesn't mean that you can get nVidia's crappy Linux drivers to install.

Kai

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 29, 2010, 09:17:17 PM
Just cause WINE supports a game doesn't mean that you can get nVidia's crappy Linux drivers to install.

:lulz: True. Drivers can be a bitch, but they're getting better.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

I'll try it out this weekend. 

Faust

I'm using the backtrack distribution which was based on ubuntu 9 I think. Still not used to it but it has some cool features and as you say it is incredibly fast.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My ex installed a bunch of security/child protection software on my son's computer, which is shutting his ass down when it comes to doing homework research. I'm going to have to wipe it and start from scratch, so I'll probably have to re-install the latest Ubuntu release.

I want to throw all these computers out the window and get the kids Macbooks, but that will have to wait.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 30, 2010, 01:20:19 AM
My ex installed a bunch of security/child protection software on my son's computer, which is shutting his ass down when it comes to doing homework research. I'm going to have to wipe it and start from scratch, so I'll probably have to re-install the latest Ubuntu release.

I want to throw all these computers out the window and get the kids Macbooks, but that will have to wait.
The macbooks are expensive but there is a major advantage in the form of a loophole.
Apple don't stock their old model of laptops.
If you get the three year cover plan, two and a half years later your laptop can have an accident and you will get the brand new model.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Apple replaced the battery to my Macbook Pro when it was not covered by warranty or any sort of replacement program, so they saved me close to 200 bucks.

:D

Also, buying your kids Macbooks = best mom ever.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love my little Mac! I've also found customer support to be very good. The kids use Macbooks at school so it would be an easy transition for them. I just need to sell a few more beads...

Faust

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on April 30, 2010, 01:29:39 AM
Apple replaced the battery to my Macbook Pro when it was not covered by warranty or any sort of replacement program, so they saved me close to 200 bucks.

:D

Also, buying your kids Macbooks = best mom ever.

It depends what you say to them. The first time I needed the battery changed was when my dad died two years ago and I had to go to greece.
When I got back the battery wouldn't work.

THey asked:
Did you leave your mac in sleep mode for a prolonged period of time, I answered truthfully with yes, they said it wasn't covered.
I rang again the next day, got the same question but said "no, it just stopped working" and a week later I had a new battery.

Requia ☣

WTF?  Macs don't shutdown from sleep mode if the battery is low?  Even Dells do that.