News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Ubuntu 10.04

Started by NWC, April 29, 2010, 07:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 04:25:52 AM
To hell with vista, why not switch back to XP?  It's the only Windows OS I ever liked, and even then only because it doesn't BSOD constantly and I can turn off all the naggy dialogue boxes.

The security for XP is even worse than Vista. Believe me, I was with you on that one, had it on my netbook for a while. Then I got a horribly nasty virus and decided that was it, I'm done with Bill Gates.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on May 03, 2010, 04:30:18 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 04:25:52 AM
To hell with vista, why not switch back to XP?  It's the only Windows OS I ever liked, and even then only because it doesn't BSOD constantly and I can turn off all the naggy dialogue boxes.

The security for XP is even worse than Vista. Believe me, I was with you on that one, had it on my netbook for a while. Then I got a horribly nasty virus and decided that was it, I'm done with Bill Gates.

We can fix that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc
Molon Lube

Jasper

SP2 ain't bad, if you get yourself some protection and have a good idea how to not download viruses.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 04:33:24 AM
SP2 ain't bad, if you get yourself some protection and have a good idea how to not download viruses.

Um.

ANY system is good if you do that.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Well...

Shut up!  :crankey:

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

the last yatto

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 03:52:39 AM
How is Ubuntu not proper software? 

its made for plug n play, i think i have like 20 processes right now,
and only really know what four or five of them actually do
whats metacity and seahorse actually do?

were as with other linux distros everything has to be added manually,
so you learn what everything does by reading the files and editing the confs
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

awww its just a GUI and a PGP keyring
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Jean-Lustine d'Hadamard

Quote from: Kai on May 03, 2010, 03:39:59 AM
Quote from: Jean-Lustine d'Hadamard on May 01, 2010, 11:15:56 PM
Yay! 17 days until Fedora 13 is released.

Let's have some proper software around here, eh?

You mean, stuff that takes a computer science degree to understand, right?

Because Fedora is purposefully obfuscatory.
Hey, you take that back! I'm not some comp-sci weirdo!

All I know is every time I have to use Ubuntu, I seem to wind up crouched in a corner, clenching the sides of my head and wailing. Although I understand a lot of people like it and find it very useful, and I'm OK with that. Music, comedy, operating systems and so many backs to get up...
"But one intelligence source we know suggests that an injection of a tiny amount of pure nicotine in the anus has the result of killing someone without leaving a mark. We're still trying to get to the bottom of this." --- Robert Eringer, On Marilyn, the Illuminati, and the Father of Our Country, The Investigator, 14 February 2009

Remington

Quote from: Pēleus on May 03, 2010, 06:58:50 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 03:52:39 AM
How is Ubuntu not proper software? 

its made for plug n play, i think i have like 20 processes right now,
and only really know what four or five of them actually do
whats metacity and seahorse actually do?

were as with other linux distros everything has to be added manually,
so you learn what everything does by reading the files and editing the confs
Ubuntu isn't for the hardcore geeks, it's just for people who don't care and want it to work out of the box. Also for people who are looking to get into the geeky Linux stuff, but need a stepping stone so as not to drown in unfamiliar territory.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 04:34:04 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 04:33:24 AM

Um.

ANY system is good if you do that.

The Doktor speaks truth.

Remington,
XP SP2, no firewall, minimal AV. No viruses for three years and counting.
Is it plugged in?