News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

So, Jim...When Did We Join The Monkeys?

Started by Doktor Howl, May 03, 2010, 06:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on May 03, 2010, 09:00:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 08:53:07 PM

Interesting point:  When dealing with outlandish noobs, we could ask them what they'd be without Discordianism.

POINT!

What am I without Discordianism? Same twisted little fuck but with less people on my wavelength. :lulz:

I can attest to this.

And it's almost the only thing P3nT and I see eye to eye on - We're the same people as much with an ideology as without, which puts us both (and many others here on PD) in a Commodore Perry sized dinghy. One with entire batteries of 460 cal cannons.

Payne

Quote from: Jasper on May 04, 2010, 12:52:05 AM
Quote from: dimo on May 03, 2010, 11:28:49 PM
Does anyone actually consider discordianism to be an ideology? That seems like it would be a counter productive stance. Just wondering...

It's not a really useful question, is it?  Discordianism, done right, is too nebulous and mutable to be defined trivially.

Discordianism is more like a sensibility.

Fuck off, no-longer-active poster.

Discordianism is an ideology as much as any other. If it's a word you can tack a "TM" onto, and something 'interesting' enough to form and field at least 3 opinions on, it can be an ideology.

Payne

Quote from: President Television on May 04, 2010, 12:56:16 AM
Quote from: Vene on May 03, 2010, 11:43:21 PM
Does anyone actually consider discordianism to be an ideology? That seems like it would be a counter productive stance. Just wondering...
I have one response to this.

lol, 23

Zipper! A jumbo banana drippy guy is such a nice Toyota burger.

But yeah, :mittens: to the OP, and I'm glad this thread is starting to go somewhere.

I've considered quitting Discordianism several times in the past, but I decided not to. Neither was because of anything ideological. It was all because of the people. I thought about leaving because I didn't feel like I really belonged, but I decided to stay because you're all so damned interesting. See, that's what's nice about Discordianism. It doesn't have any sort of rigid definition, so someone who practices Khaos Majhgihadickques and a pseudo-nihilist who just likes to fuck with people can both call themselves Discordians and neither will be wrong. This means there are all sorts of people among us who specialize in all sorts of delightfully obscure areas of knowledge and have a lot to say about just about everything. We don't agree on anything and we don't all know the same things, so when you're in(or even just reading) a conversation with Discordians you're always being challenged to learn new things and figure out the "right" side of an argument.
Ultimately, what separates us from the monkeys is the old mantra: "Think for yourself, schmuck!"

I've fucked off from it before (actually have never "bought" into it...) but I am enlightened enough to realise I need the likes of Roger, Nigel, LMNO and ECH to piss me off with their incisive and deeply-personal-without-intending-it-for-me.

Seriously. All the above are assholes and degenerates of unspeakable magnitudes and they're fucking good at it - good enough that I place value on what they say enough to change my mind/ challenge my beliefs/ analyse my reasoning more than on any other persons. Which is a belief structure in itself, but one I can recognise, rationalise and change if need be.

Payne

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Payne on December 21, 2013, 10:12:21 PM
Quote from: President Television on May 04, 2010, 12:56:16 AM
Quote from: Vene on May 03, 2010, 11:43:21 PM
I have one response to this.

lol, 23

Zipper! A jumbo banana drippy guy is such a nice Toyota burger.

But yeah, :mittens: to the OP, and I'm glad this thread is starting to go somewhere.

I've considered quitting Discordianism several times in the past, but I decided not to. Neither was because of anything ideological. It was all because of the people. I thought about leaving because I didn't feel like I really belonged, but I decided to stay because you're all so damned interesting. See, that's what's nice about Discordianism. It doesn't have any sort of rigid definition, so someone who practices Khaos Majhgihadickques and a pseudo-nihilist who just likes to fuck with people can both call themselves Discordians and neither will be wrong. This means there are all sorts of people among us who specialize in all sorts of delightfully obscure areas of knowledge and have a lot to say about just about everything. We don't agree on anything and we don't all know the same things, so when you're in(or even just reading) a conversation with Discordians you're always being challenged to learn new things and figure out the "right" side of an argument.
Ultimately, what separates us from the monkeys is the old mantra: "Think for yourself, schmuck!"

I've fucked off from it before (actually have never "bought" into it...) but I am enlightened enough to realise I need the likes of Roger, Nigel, LMNO and ECH to piss me off with their incisive and deeply-personal-without-intending-it-for-me.

Seriously. All the above are assholes and degenerates of unspeakable magnitudes and they're fucking good at it - good enough that I place value on what they say enough to change my mind/ challenge my beliefs/ analyse my reasoning more than on any other persons. Which is a belief structure in itself, but one I can recognise, rationalise and change if need be.

D'awwww!  :bunny:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2010, 01:58:28 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 04, 2010, 01:57:26 AM
I've heard it's also prehensile.  It's how he types so fast.

No, that's what back hair is for.

I'm Doctor Octopus's hillbilly cousin.

bump   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Lord Batwing Candlewaxxe

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 06:21:40 PM
It is my opinion that when you start identifying with the various fake ideologies that the monkeys have all bought, you drop on your knuckles and no longer qualify as a biped...This, in turn, disqualifies you as a Discordian for the duration of your error.  This would include political, economic, religious, and fraternal beliefs. 

"Do I contradict myself? 
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
"You know those days when things keep getting worse faster than you can lower your standards?" - Carrie Fisher

Perhaps the damned horse can fly.

ArchangelIdiotis

Necromancy.

but what is it that makes a monkey of a man? Why do they identify with various dogmatic ideologies?

I suspect that one major cause is social instinct. Love could have evolved from familiarity=safety into familiar group=safety. So whatever seems most familiar, closest to one's self, primates tend to fall a little (just a little) in love with, and it becomes their ideological identity. Were this the case, ideologies would tend to travel in social niches.

How do you escape moral or ideological (it could be an amoral ideology) instinct? Is it possible to justify your opinion outside the parameters of slightest emotional instinctive filter? Just noticing the pull towards the ideas of one's affinities is a step toward overcoming that pull.

Humor may not be enough. Introspection, meditation, and initiation may not be enough. And the accumulation of wisdom and understanding may also fall short. After all, the data is infinite, so any efforts to be well informed only accumulates enough gnosis to qualify as a drop of water in the oceans toward gaining a thorough intellect.

The work is a reward, and maybe unbiased opinion actually exists. I suspect that opinions exist free of emotional bias, free of instinct toward social niches and such - and that these opinions suffer still from being the product of observing a small % of the relevant facts.