News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

So, Jim...When Did We Join The Monkeys?

Started by Doktor Howl, May 03, 2010, 06:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

You're really misinterpreting my stance here.  Can this not be a case of "Argh I am angry debater I kill you all with sciencey shit"?

I'm saying that ANY ideology can trap you, even Discordia.  Look at the MySpace discordians.  They ostensibly worship the same deity, derived from the same book, and probably share some of our topical views.  But they're fucking monkeys who shackled their egos to the image for some cheap cred with each other.

Vene

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 07:58:56 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 07:55:44 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 07:53:17 PM
Quote from: Kai on May 03, 2010, 07:51:44 PM
Discordianism is also a monkey trap.

Right you are.

So, let's just all grab bananas, masturbate for the crowd, and throw poop.

Since there's no way out, and it's all hopeless, and we're not any different.

Why am I here, again?  There are easier ways to be a monkey.

To expound/expand on what I said, Discordia can easily be a monkey trap, but it is systematically better than other monkey traps because a huge element of Discordia is shameless constant self-subversion.  It's the only way to avoid monkey minded ideology worship.

I believe the statement was that it IS a monkey trap.

If it is, I'm fucking done.  I expected more, and there are local people I can be a fucking monkey with, just down the street.

Fuck the bunch of you, if you're so damn desperate to be monkeys.  Or if you want to look so jaded that it simply isn't done to suggest that maybe, just maybe, there's a way out.  Go on, get it over with and drop down on your fucking knuckles like all the other fucking primates on this sorry fucking mudball.

Doesn't mean I have to.

You damn dirty apes.

How can you be anything other than a monkey? Do you possess a non-human brain?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 08:06:27 PM
I'm saying that ANY ideology can trap you, even Discordia.  Look at the MySpace discordians.  They ostensibly worship the same deity, derived from the same book, and probably share some of our topical views.  But they're fucking monkeys who shackled their egos to the image for some cheap cred with each other.

People doing something wrong doesn't discredit that thing.  It's like saying that football doesn't exist because the Canadians use screwed up rules.

You're really misinterpreting my stance here.  Can this not be a case of "Argh I am angry debater I kill you all with sciencey shit"?

Well, if that's what you're seeing, then there's no point in continuing.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Vene on May 03, 2010, 08:10:57 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 07:58:56 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 07:55:44 PM

Right you are.

Why am I here, again?  There are easier ways to be a monkey.

To expound/expand on what I said, Discordia can easily be a monkey trap, but it is systematically better than other monkey traps because a huge element of Discordia is shameless constant self-subversion.  It's the only way to avoid monkey minded ideology worship.

I believe the statement was that it IS a monkey trap.

If it is, I'm fucking done.  I expected more, and there are local people I can be a fucking monkey with, just down the street.

Fuck the bunch of you, if you're so damn desperate to be monkeys.  Or if you want to look so jaded that it simply isn't done to suggest that maybe, just maybe, there's a way out.  Go on, get it over with and drop down on your fucking knuckles like all the other fucking primates on this sorry fucking mudball.

Doesn't mean I have to.

You damn dirty apes.

How can you be anything other than a monkey? Do you possess a non-human brain?

Annnnnnnnnd here we go into semantics.

Why the FUCK do I bother?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on May 03, 2010, 08:05:35 PM

Right you are.

Why am I here, again?  There are easier ways to be a monkey.

I didn't say what you posted.

If, by your OP, these identifications are "monkey traps", then identifying as Discordian is also a monkey trap. Unless, of course, identifying as Discordian is not the same as any other identity.

It isn't, as has already been pointed out.

When done properly, anyway.  I don't pretend that Discordianism is a panacea.  It is not a system by which all monkeys can stand upright if only they're pure enough.  No, Discordianism is a tool by which you CAN help yourself stand upright, if you have the inclination to do so.
Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 08:14:39 PM

Right you are.

If, by your OP, these identifications are "monkey traps", then identifying as Discordian is also a monkey trap. Unless, of course, identifying as Discordian is not the same as any other identity.

When done properly, anyway.  I don't pretend that Discordianism is a panacea.  It is not a system by which all monkeys can stand upright if only they're pure enough.  No, Discordianism is a tool by which you CAN help yourself stand upright, if you have the inclination to do so.

Okay. So, I also identify as a Unitarian Universalist, Religious Naturalist and Insect Systematist. How are those things incompatible with Discordianism?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Vene

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 08:12:45 PM
Quote from: Vene on May 03, 2010, 08:10:57 PMHow can you be anything other than a monkey? Do you possess a non-human brain?

Or maybe I'm genuinely confused. You're attacking the people here for being monkeys, while exhibiting monkey behavior and acting as if you're above it. It is fucking impossible for humans to not be monkeys. It is what we are, to not be a monkey is to not be human.

And I still don't really see why being a monkey is inherently bad, I see problems when we deny our monkeyhood, but it sounds like you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole by yelling at monkeys for being monkeys. What the fuck do you expect monkeys to do?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on May 03, 2010, 08:16:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 08:14:39 PM

Right you are.

Okay. So, I also identify as a Unitarian Universalist, Religious Naturalist and Insect Systematist. How are those things incompatible with Discordianism?

Which one of those do you DO, and which do you base your self-worth and/or personal existence on?
Molon Lube

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 08:11:50 PM

People doing something wrong doesn't discredit that thing.  It's like saying that football doesn't exist because the Canadians use screwed up rules.

Exactly, we agree.  Doing Discordia wrong.  That's the trap I'm trying to get at.

Back to our earlier conversation about OSes.  Using it wrong is what makes you a monkey.  Same with ideologies.

You can use ideologies, but almost everybody is used by them.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Vene on May 03, 2010, 08:18:01 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 08:12:45 PM
Quote from: Vene on May 03, 2010, 08:10:57 PMHow can you be anything other than a monkey? Do you possess a non-human brain?

Or maybe I'm genuinely confused. You're attacking the people here for being monkeys, while exhibiting monkey behavior and acting as if you're above it. It is fucking impossible for humans to not be monkeys. It is what we are, to not be a monkey is to not be human.

And I still don't really see why being a monkey is inherently bad, I see problems when we deny our monkeyhood, but it sounds like you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole by yelling at monkeys for being monkeys. What the fuck do you expect monkeys to do?

All monkeys are primates.  Not all primates are monkeys.  Do you have a tail hanging off your arse, or just one in your head?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 08:18:41 PM

Exactly, we agree.  Doing Discordia wrong.  That's the trap I'm trying to get at.

Back to our earlier conversation about OSes.  Using it wrong is what makes you a monkey.  Same with ideologies.

Sure you CAN, but why WOULD you?  These ideologies were created by and for pack members in the monkey sphere.  Of what use can they possibly be for someone walking upright?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Just because we're primates doesn't mean we can't think for ourselves, is kinda what I'm getting out of this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 03, 2010, 08:22:12 PM
Just because we're primates doesn't mean we can't think for ourselves, is kinda what I'm getting out of this.

Close enough for government work.

We have to be primates.  We even have to obey some of our primate wiring.

But we don't have to be goddamned monkeys.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 08:21:26 PM

Sure you CAN, but why WOULD you?  These ideologies were created by and for pack members in the monkey sphere.  Of what use can they possibly be for someone walking upright?

Well I hate to say it but you're not going to get even a 51% majority of people to walk upright, ever, which is where ideologies become useful.  Chivalry was used to get those awful fucking knights under control, remember?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2010, 08:25:01 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 08:21:26 PM

Sure you CAN, but why WOULD you?  These ideologies were created by and for pack members in the monkey sphere.  Of what use can they possibly be for someone walking upright?

Well I hate to say it but you're not going to get even a 51% majority of people to walk upright, ever, which is where ideologies become useful.  Chivalry was used to get those awful fucking knights under control, remember?

I was thinking about 3-5%.

So, again, of what use are these ideologies?
Molon Lube