News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Who here knows about Approval Voting?

Started by Jasper, May 04, 2010, 01:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Have you studied it?  What do you think?

Also, how do I created poll?

Requia ☣

Er, is approval voting something where you vote on whether to keep the current politician or make a run between two brand new candidates?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Vene

Oh, where you can vote for multiple candidates? It's, interesting, and I can see it being a method used to avoid two party systems. Not sure how it works in practice.

Requia ☣

Ok, no, not at all.

This is... interesting.  I'll have to think about it.

Jasper

Quote from: Vene on May 04, 2010, 01:53:38 AM
Oh, where you can vote for multiple candidates? It's, interesting, and I can see it being a method used to avoid two party systems. Not sure how it works in practice.

This, yeah.

Basically, everyone votes for as few or as many candidates as they want.  From a game theory perspective it makes everyone more likely to get something they want, and it also has the added benefit of quashing two-party systems fairly easily.

Vene

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 04, 2010, 01:56:12 AM
Quote from: Vene on May 04, 2010, 01:53:38 AM

This, yeah.

Basically, everyone votes for as few or as many candidates as they want.  From a game theory perspective it makes everyone more likely to get something they want, and it also has the added benefit of quashing two-party systems fairly easily.
If there are already two well established parties, I'm not sure if it would quash them quickly. Like, let's go with an election and there are three candidates, R, D, and I. I appeals to a lot of D voters, so they list both D and I, but it doesn't appeal to all Ds, so they just vote strictly D. And R voters despise I so they don't vote that way. So, you're left with a situation where the third party doesn't get a lot of support, maybe more than in the past, but not enough to change the parties in charge.

Requia ☣

But if the third party makes a strong showing it'll gain support over time.

Vene

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 04, 2010, 02:54:16 AM
But if the third party makes a strong showing it'll gain support over time.

Quote from: Vene on May 04, 2010, 02:29:27 AMIf there are already two well established parties, I'm not sure if it would quash them quickly.

Jasper

When I say quickly, I mean quickly for politics.

Vene

In which case I can see it working quickly.

Requia ☣

Gradual change is an advantage if anything, if you get enough support you could push the system changes through without terrifying incumbents.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

No idea, I'll have to read up on it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

I recall this fucker named Felix bringing it up in a thread when I first joined:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=18160.30

:wink:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jasper

Well yeah.  Because it's a handy topic to discuss when people start talking about democracy as if it was restricted to a plurality vote.  And, although I can't recall where, I remember thinking I was seeing that again.

ETA: And there are enough new people (and people who haven't heard of it) to make it worth bringing back up.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 04, 2010, 07:31:50 AM
Well yeah.  Because it's a handy topic to discuss when people start talking about democracy as if it was restricted to a plurality vote.  And, although I can't recall where, I remember thinking I was seeing that again.

ETA: And there are enough new people (and people who haven't heard of it) to make it worth bringing back up.

Oh, I"m not calling cock an repost or anything.  It was a good discussion with some resources linked that I thought might help.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.