News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

an idea I had concerning democracy

Started by Jasper, May 04, 2010, 09:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

So what makes this better than direct democracy?

(that is, having everyone vote on everything, with bills submitted via a petition process)
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on May 04, 2010, 10:08:35 PM

(that is, having everyone vote on everything, with bills submitted via a petition process)

Oh, that's a good one, too.  We could even bring back the ostrakos.

I can't wait to see the teabaggers - or whomever the craze of the moment is - lead the way.
Molon Lube

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2010, 10:10:01 PM

I can't wait to see the teabaggers - or whomever the craze of the moment is - lead the way.

I'm not arguing for direct democracy, I'm just saying, how is a random subsample of the population any better than the whole population?
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2010, 10:08:08 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 04, 2010, 10:06:30 PM
What now?  This system should if anything represent the interests of the people much more than our current system because it sidelines corporate interests and the self-interest of career politicians.

I wish to run for office.  I have some ideas I think people should hear.

But I didn't come up in the lottery.  Oh, well.

Yeah, there's that.

Maybe if you were able to spread your ideas to the voting public, you could affect change.

I like the idea of a direct democracy.  Maybe my system could incorporate a direct vote as a check against the 25 elected citizens' representativeness of the public.  You'd see how many citizens were in favor, and be able to compare how much the public agrees with them.  If the two are in too much disagreement, the bill would be debated and revised or scrapped.

As you can see, this isn't a fully finished idea.  I'm still glad to get further criticisms so I can maybe make a better idea.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 04, 2010, 10:20:50 PM
I like the idea of a direct democracy.

So do I.  I mean, wouldn't it be GREAT if the general public was allowed to make the decisions involving Iran in 2005?

It would be like having Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity as our rulers forever!
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 04, 2010, 10:20:50 PM

As you can see, this isn't a fully finished idea.  I'm still glad to get further criticisms so I can maybe make a better idea.

I am glad you're taking this the right way, I'd like to add.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on May 04, 2010, 10:16:56 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2010, 10:10:01 PM

I'm not arguing for direct democracy, I'm just saying, how is a random subsample of the population any better than the whole population?

It isn't.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Another triumph of direct democracy:  California's Proposition 8.
Molon Lube

Mangrove

Small suggestion for improving democracy:

Abolishing the tactic whereby bills have irrelevant crap tacked onto the end of them in order to sneak them through.

Congressman 1: Here's my proposed Agricultural Bill. Now we can help American farmers be more competitive in a global market place and create hundreds of jobs!

Congressman 2: Booo! Your bill sucks!

[much arguing later]

Congressman 1: Here's the revised bill which sort of helps some farmers....a bit.

Congressman 2: Oh...and by the way, we can also tap your phones and torture your ass.

If an agricultural (or health or defence) bill is being written, then it should not contain anything that doesn't relate directly to the subject matter.

For instance, the Health Care bill contained $250 million for stupid abstinence education!!  :argh!:

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mangrove on May 04, 2010, 10:58:50 PM

Abolishing the tactic whereby bills have irrelevant crap tacked onto the end of them in order to sneak them through.

Congressman 1: Here's my proposed Agricultural Bill. Now we can help American farmers be more competitive in a global market place and create hundreds of jobs!

[much arguing later]

Congressman 1: Here's the revised bill which sort of helps some farmers....a bit.

Congressman 2: Oh...and by the way, we can also tap your phones and torture your ass.

If an agricultural (or health or defence) bill is being written, then it should not contain anything that doesn't relate directly to the subject matter.

For instance, the Health Care bill contained $250 million for stupid abstinence education!!  :argh!:

Hmm...outlaw riders and irrelevant bill amendments?  That could actually work.

Now we just have to get congress to pass it.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Mangrove

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2010, 11:01:42 PM

[much arguing later]

Well this might be where my plan theory falls down.  :lol:

Other suggestions: Cut the campaign time way down & cap campaign spending.

Ok Senators - you've got 4 days and $100 to make your case. Go!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

[much arguing later]

I like this idea. Except the part where we have to get Congress to pass it.  :horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mangrove on May 04, 2010, 11:10:51 PM

[much arguing later]

Well this might be where my plan theory falls down.  :lol:

Other suggestions: Cut the campaign time way down & cap campaign spending.

Ok Senators - you've got 4 days and $100 to make your case. Go!

4 days is definitely not long enough; college students get longer than that to research and write a paper. I would like to see a cap on campaign spending, but that would be hard to enforce.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mangrove

I was joking about 4 days. But I am serious about shorter, cheaper campaigns as well as getting rid of sneaky shit tacked on to the end of bills.

As I understand, the UK election season is 6 weeks and I think they have capped spending.

Jasper

Seriously, is it just me or is Palin's '12 campaign sticking it's ass into Obama's second year?  Jeez.