News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

an idea I had concerning democracy

Started by Jasper, May 04, 2010, 09:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 05, 2010, 01:21:19 AM
Seriously, is it just me or is Palin's '12 campaign sticking it's ass into Obama's second year?  Jeez.

PLEASE RUN SARAH PALIN PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Molon Lube

Telarus

John Oliver and John Stewart made an interesting comment on the Daily Show a few days ago. Something about how in our (American) voting system, as soon as one campaign ends, the politician has to immediately begin the next campaign, just to stay competitive with the other yokels. So anyone voted into office, and who wants to stay there for more than one term has to govern _and_ campaign at the same time, all the time.

Never whistle while you're pissing and all that jazz.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

LMNO

So, I'm pretty sure there's something terribly wrong with the line-item veto, but I can't remember what it was.

Because right now, it seems like a pretty good way of dealing with omnibus bills, riders, and the other stuff Mang was talking about.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: LMNO on May 05, 2010, 01:23:55 PM
So, I'm pretty sure there's something terribly wrong with the line-item veto, but I can't remember what it was.

Because right now, it seems like a pretty good way of dealing with omnibus bills, riders, and the other stuff Mang was talking about.

The primary argument against it that i have heard is that it is essentially giving legislative power to the executive by allowing them to shape the bill through subtractive means.

LMNO

I see their point, but I would counter than an omnibus bill is an abuse of legislative power, as it forces an all-or-nothing decision on the executive, which would not happen if the bills were appropriately seperated into their specific issues.

I know you're not arguing against line-item veto, by the way, so I'm not asking for you to defend it if you don't want to.

Mangrove

And since I'm busy re-building the American political system I would also suggest amending:

Full presidential pay for the rest of your life.

So, you get elected once. Great. That obviously took a great deal of work. You get to serve for four years. There are exceptions, but often a sitting president ends up doing 2 terms anyway. Unless something big happens (eg: Watergate) you get to sit on your ass for the remaining 4 years because no one can get rid of you and popularity ratings are now, totally irrelevant.

Then you leave the job and get the same salary until you die. WHY??? If I knew that

a) I couldn't really get fired
   b) I would receive the same pay whether I did any work or not

then what motivation do I have to do anything?

Suggestion to future presidents: When you leave office, either find a job or make sure that you saved & invested wisely during your administration.

Stop making these fuckers so comfy.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mangrove on May 05, 2010, 06:46:04 PM
And since I'm busy re-building the American political system I would also suggest amending:

So, you get elected once. Great. That obviously took a great deal of work. You get to serve for four years. There are exceptions, but often a sitting president ends up doing 2 terms anyway. Unless something big happens (eg: Watergate) you get to sit on your ass for the remaining 4 years because no one can get rid of you and popularity ratings are now, totally irrelevant.

Then you leave the job and get the same salary until you die. WHY??? If I knew that

Suggestion to future presidents: When you leave office, either find a job or make sure that you saved & invested wisely during your administration.

I predict many sweetheart deals with lobbyists.
Molon Lube

Mangrove

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2010, 07:03:29 PM

Compromise: Reasonably large civil servant pension, but not full pay?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Jasper

This is why, among all his other ideas, the only one I really liked was the antimatierialistic ruling class.

ETA:  I meant to mention that I was talking about Plato in that post, but I have been in a sleep deprived stupor all day.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2010, 07:03:29 PM

How is that any different from what we have now? And don't forget that ex-presidents always pull in more than 6 figures per speaking engagement.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘