News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

あらためまして、始めまして、私の名前はジェイドです。

Started by Abbess Jade, May 06, 2010, 11:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

They've established small but influential merchant classes on several islands. Cuba and the DR both have a Chinese presence, as do STT and Trinidad. On STT they're starting to compete with the much larger and long-established Indian community in the jewelry market (both legitimate and black-market) and, more importantly, the attendant black-market currency exchanges.

ETA: And there are probably no more than 600 - 800 Chinese nationals on STT, compared to several thousand Indians. They've definitely made a concerted effort to concentrate their influence and economic power.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Abbess Jade

QuoteI was just busting balls anyway. Few other people here were likely to know all that and I wasn't likely to bother typing all of that, also I would have been unable to make any points about the cultural connections to and influences on the UK since I'm not British. Interestingly, despite the seemingly more progressive British attitudes towards race, the ex-British islands tend to have more economic instability and social problems than most of the rest of the islands. Though there are certainly success stories (Barbados and the BVI most notably), Jamaica, Trinidad, St. Kitts and Nevis, and Antigua all suffer from rampant poverty and violent crime, more so than the French, Dutch, or Spanish islands (Haiti being the obvious exception).

Speaking of crime rates, it's really interesting that despite all the rape manga (comics), perverted men coping a feel on subways, and physical violoence and out-witting each other for entertainment (because the Japanese don't get sarcasm at all), Japan has one of the safest streets to walk through at night. In the whole country, there has been only maybe...seven murders this year? And that's high for them. There's barely any sexual assault, either.

It kind of makes me sad, since almost everyday here there's some kind of crime, murder, rape.  :sad:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Abbess Jade on May 12, 2010, 04:56:14 PM
QuoteI was just busting balls anyway. Few other people here were likely to know all that and I wasn't likely to bother typing all of that, also I would have been unable to make any points about the cultural connections to and influences on the UK since I'm not British. Interestingly, despite the seemingly more progressive British attitudes towards race, the ex-British islands tend to have more economic instability and social problems than most of the rest of the islands. Though there are certainly success stories (Barbados and the BVI most notably), Jamaica, Trinidad, St. Kitts and Nevis, and Antigua all suffer from rampant poverty and violent crime, more so than the French, Dutch, or Spanish islands (Haiti being the obvious exception).

Speaking of crime rates, it's really interesting that despite all the rape manga (comics), perverted men coping a feel on subways, and physical violoence and out-witting each other for entertainment (because the Japanese don't get sarcasm at all), Japan has one of the safest streets to walk through at night. In the whole country, there has been only maybe...seven murders this year? And that's high for them. There's barely any sexual assault, either.

It kind of makes me sad, since almost everyday here there's some kind of crime, murder, rape.  :sad:

DOING IT WRONG.

Tucson averaged 4609 violent crimes per year.  Then in 2009, it dropped by 43%.  Not because we changed, or the police became more efficient, or anything, but because they stopped counting the greater Tucson area, and only counted the metro area itself.

Which, incidentally, is 57% of the population.
Molon Lube

Kai

When I go to Tuscon someday, I'm staying less than 2 ft from Padre Dolor the whole time.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on May 12, 2010, 05:08:47 PM
When I go to Tuscon someday, I'm staying less than 2 ft from Padre Dolor the whole time.

Which, of course, will be the exact moment I go down in a hail of gunfire.

I've seen how this sort of thing works in the movies.
Molon Lube

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Faust on May 12, 2010, 12:21:35 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 11, 2010, 10:25:30 PM
Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 11, 2010, 10:23:17 PM
it is Christianity-based (though it's about as crazy an interpretation of Christianity as I've ever seen), but it's attraction to white hippie-types has mostly to do with it's embrace of marijuana use.

And an attempted rejection of vanilla suburban life.

Fact:  Every "Rastafarian" - or even raggae fan - I've ever met IRL has been a 20-something suburban White kid.

You don't get good rastas outside of london, but those more then make up for the rest of them.

I imagine there's some good ones in Kingstown.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

You probably meant "Kingston", and no, there are no "good" anyone in Kingston. That place is the biggest shithole in the western hemisphere. Even St. Thomians don't fuck around there. AFAIK, most Jamaican rastas tend to move to more rural areas of the island, unless they're in the business of selling weed to tourists (aka they're fake rastas) in which case they tend to concentrate around Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, and Negril. Or Fort Lauderdale.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Abbess Jade

QuoteDOING IT WRONG.

Tucson averaged 4609 violent crimes per year.  Then in 2009, it dropped by 43%.  Not because we changed, or the police became more efficient, or anything, but because they stopped counting the greater Tucson area, and only counted the metro area itself.

QuoteWhen I go to Tuscon someday, I'm staying less than 2 ft from Padre Dolor the whole time.

I think I'll just stay away from Tuscon in general.

East Coast Hustle

Suit yourself. Some people just aren't compatible with the brand of fun that this decade has to offer.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Quote from: Abbess Jade on May 12, 2010, 04:56:14 PM

DONT GET SARCASM  :x HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM?????

East Coast Hustle

Abbess Jade

QuoteDONT GET SARCASM  argh HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM?????

They'll just take you literally. And just look at you funny. And be very sad.

Japan runs on politeness.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Abbess Jade on May 13, 2010, 04:47:49 AM
QuoteDOING IT WRONG.

QuoteWhen I go to Tuscon someday, I'm staying less than 2 ft from Padre Dolor the whole time.

I think I'll just stay away from Tuscon in general.

That's okay.  Sometimes Tucson comes to you.
Molon Lube

Abbess Jade