News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

あらためまして、始めまして、私の名前はジェイドです。

Started by Abbess Jade, May 06, 2010, 11:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Quote from: BadBeast on May 09, 2010, 09:26:20 PM
Quote from: Remington on May 09, 2010, 08:53:35 PM
Quote from: Telarus on May 09, 2010, 08:50:56 PM
:x

Quote from: Kai on May 09, 2010, 07:55:33 PM
Cool. :)

We've been talking here for a while about, while we have people come in from all over, we really don't have any asians. It seems like, with some of the weird stuff that comes out of Japan, a bunch of Japanese would be primed for picking up on Discordianism.

One of the main reasons I will be learning Japanese shortly.
It's an interesting language to learn. It's much more internally consistent than English (meaning it almost always follows its grammar/syntax rules, few exceptions). The lack of a common Latin origin makes it more difficult to learn than French or Spanish, though.

I think I read somewhere that spoken Japanese only has one tense, and depending on where the emphasis is put in the sentence, the same words could mean either,"I have walked the dog" or "I am going to walk the dog" or "I am walking the dog". I'm not sure whether this would make it easier to learn, as a second language, or more confusing though.

That's incorrect. One thing I found amusing about the language, though, is that "Kanojo" (Pronoun that translates as "She") can also mean "girlfriend". "Kanojo ga imasuka" means, literally, "Is there a She?" or figuratively, "Do you have a girlfriend".
Is it plugged in?

Abbess Jade

QuoteThat's incorrect. One thing I found amusing about the language, though, is that "Kanojo" (Pronoun that translates as "She") can also mean "girlfriend". "Kanojo ga imasuka" means, literally, "Is there a She?" or figuratively, "Do you have a girlfriend".

You're right!

Such as the term for 'You're welcome' (after someone has thanked you, 'arigatou'), "Dou itashimashite", means "I didn't do anything'.

When it comes to tenses, we have different kinds. We has 'masu' verbs, and 'ru' verbs...---eh. I just really need to make a thread for teaching people Japanese, shouldn't I?

BadBeast

Only if you want to. Although a less specific Japanese Cultural thread might be interesting.     
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Abbess Jade

QuoteOnly if you want to. Although a less specific Japanese Cultural thread might be interesting.

Or that...!

Doktor Howl

Had Japanese food last night.  Not that Yokahama Rice Bowl shit, the real deal (The only good thing about Tucson is the variety of food).

Freshwater eels on rice.  My mouth orgasmed.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Abbess Jade on May 09, 2010, 10:52:19 PM
QuoteI think I read somewhere that spoken Japanese only has one tense, and depending on where the emphasis is put in the sentence, the same words could mean either,"I have walked the dog" or "I am going to walk the dog" or "I am walking the dog". I'm not sure whether this would make it easier to learn, as a second language, or more confusing though.

Whoever told you that isn't true. Although emphasis shows emotion, we do have tenses.

Fun fact: In Japanese, fat--as in "to be fat"--is a verb.

Wow, I love that! It's awesome.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Jade,

Quote from: Kai on May 09, 2010, 07:55:33 PM
We've been talking here for a while about, while we have people come in from all over, we really don't have any asians. It seems like, with some of the weird stuff that comes out of Japan, a bunch of Japanese would be primed for picking up on Discordianism.

?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Abbess Jade

QuoteJade,

Quote from: Kai on Today at 10:55:33 AM

Well, I mean. I'm part Japanese and I'm quite fond of Discordianism. Does that count any?

QuoteHad Japanese food last night.  Not that Yokahama Rice Bowl shit, the real deal (The only good thing about Tucson is the variety of food).

Freshwater eels on rice.  My mouth orgasmed.

My brain orgasmed at the thought of that. That sounds really delicious!

QuoteFun fact: In Japanese, fat--as in "to be fat"--is a verb.

Wow, I love that! It's awesome.

It's the same way for the word 'slim' or 'thin'. It's also a verb.

Kai

Quote from: Abbess Jade on May 10, 2010, 01:30:43 AM
QuoteJade,

Quote from: Kai on Today at 10:55:33 AM

Well, I mean. I'm part Japanese and I'm quite fond of Discordianism. Does that count any?

Was just wondering where all the rest of the Japanese Discordians are.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love the idea of fat or thin being something you're doing rather than something you are.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Abbess Jade

QuoteWas just wondering where all the rest of the Japanese Discordians are.

Hell if I know, practising Hikikomori (psychological cultural disease, mainly present in Japanese culture, where a young person snaps under pressure and becomes socially and physically withdrawn into their household, often for years)? Maybe Discordianism is not translated into Japanese and most can't read it?

I dunno.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Kai

Quote from: Abbess Jade on May 10, 2010, 02:40:09 AM
QuoteWas just wondering where all the rest of the Japanese Discordians are.

Hell if I know, practising Hikikomori (psychological cultural disease, mainly present in Japanese culture, where a young person snaps under pressure and becomes socially and physically withdrawn into their household, often for years)? Maybe Discordianism is not translated into Japanese and most can't read it?

I dunno.

Hmmm...

Are you fluent in Japanese, then?

Abbess Jade

QuoteMy theory is that they just simply don't need us.

I think there's plenty of discord in Japan through the manga, anime, and media scene enough. Maybe they don't need Discordianism.

QuoteHmmm...

Are you fluent in Japanese, then?

I'm trying to be. I can hold a basic conversation, as well as describe people. But even if PD was translated, a lot of it wouldn't have the same meaning because slang and meanings are different in Japan. It'd be very confusing and not well caught on. I mean, the Japanese don't even really get sarcasm all that much, if at all.

Kai