News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

あらためまして、始めまして、私の名前はジェイドです。

Started by Abbess Jade, May 06, 2010, 11:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Abbess Jade on May 10, 2010, 02:51:05 AM
QuoteMy theory is that they just simply don't need us.

I think there's plenty of discord in Japan through the manga, anime, and media scene enough. Maybe they don't need Discordianism.

Everyone needs Discordianism.  No matter how much they scream at the time.
Molon Lube

BadBeast

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 10, 2010, 03:16:27 AM

I think there's plenty of discord in Japan through the manga, anime, and media scene enough. Maybe they don't need Discordianism.

Everyone needs Discordianism.  No matter how much they scream at the time.

I thought that was Dentists, but even Dentists must need Discordianism. That must be why they are all Alcoholics. And they say an alcoholic is always screaming on the inside, so that must be some deep denial they are in. Iwanna go fuck with a Dentist! But they traumatised me with Gas and counting backwards when I was little.  :cry:
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Requia ☣

There's more to discordianism than just the discord.

I don't really think the PD is suitable for getting the whole TFY,S message through in different cultures though, (hell it barely gets through here in the west).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Telarus

Japan has absorbed enough christian memes that the PD would resonate. It also reflects many zen/ch'an and crazy-wisdom traditions. I think it's primarily the language barriers.

Hell, there are Japanese Rastafari kids......

Let's step on up people. One of the next forums we safari should be one from Japan that has enough English speakers that we can communicate.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Requia ☣

A bunch of Gaijin invading a Japanese forum.  That'll go over well.   :lulz:

the last yatto

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 10, 2010, 05:54:21 AM
I don't really think the PD is suitable for getting the whole TFY,S message through in different cultures though, (hell it barely gets through here in the west).

would the BIP translate well?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Telarus on May 10, 2010, 07:36:17 AM

not to threadjack too much, but no, there are not. Rastafarianism is, at heart, a black power movement. you literally cannot be a Rasta if you aren't black, no matter how nasty your hair is and how infrequently you shower.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Requia ☣

The BIP would serve as a good general purpose work yeah.  It doesn't require that the reader get the jokes (or that they find it acceptable to have jokes and serious topics in the same work).  It doesn't require you to get sarcasm or read between the lines (the PD is very heavy on between the lines, to the point I sometimes wonder if the whole TFY,S thing isn't just Lo5 courtesy of RAW).  The two man con passage might not work in cultures that don't have democracy, or who have somehow avoided the whole rebulicrat thing.

On the other hand its missing the law of fives, or a quarters experiment, something on those lines, and the more serious tone doesn't really convey the lightening up aspects of discordianism.

Remington

I think translations of Discordia into Japanese would do well to focus on the monkey hierarchy and power politics. Hierarchies in North America (workplace and social) are rather horizontal and don't have many tiers: you can hand out with your boss after work, etc. Japan is quite different: their society is much more vertical and the hierarchy is much more developed and rigid. TFY,S and the "humans = monkeys" memeset would go over well, I think.
Is it plugged in?

Requia ☣

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hanging out with the boss pretty much required in order to hold down a job in Japan?

My understanding is that people who don't hang out with the boss and share the boss's interests are seen as bad employees, regardless of how good their work is.

Remington

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 10, 2010, 09:02:56 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hanging out with the boss pretty much required in order to hold down a job in Japan?

My understanding is that people who don't hang out with the boss and share the boss's interests are seen as bad employees, regardless of how good their work is.
Possibly. What I meant to say is that social hierarchies are much more rigid than they are in North America. In Japan you might be able to hang out with your boss after work, but you're still be in the boss-subordinate mindset. You wouldn't be equals.
Is it plugged in?

East Coast Hustle

I hang out with my kitchen crew after work all the time.

Nobody is ever foolish enough to treat me as an equal.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Requia ☣

way back when I actually had a job people hung out with the bosses as equals.

Of course, that was tech support and 'hung out' really means 'played World of Warcraft with'.  So that job may not have been the best example of US culture.

BadBeast

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 10, 2010, 08:42:50 AM
Quote from: Telarus on May 10, 2010, 07:36:17 AM

not to threadjack too much, but no, there are not. Rastafarianism is, at heart, a black power movement. you literally cannot be a Rasta if you aren't black, no matter how nasty your hair is and how infrequently you shower.
Yeah, I agree with that. Japanese Rastas, are about as culturally valid as Japanese Elvis. But they obviously aren't doing out it of any cross-cultural need,
Just a fashion centred Tribalism, for all the right reasons, without all the Political-social baggage that such scenes carry in the West. Fair play to, Japan, they have picked all the fun stuff they wanted, out of Western culture, and been quite good not to pick all the shit up with it. Kudos, I say.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

BadBeast

Quote from: Remington on May 10, 2010, 08:58:33 AM
I think translations of Discordia into Japanese would do well to focus on the monkey hierarchy and power politics. Hierarchies in North America (workplace and social) are rather horizontal and don't have many tiers: you can hand out with your boss after work, etc. Japan is quite different: their society is much more vertical and the hierarchy is much more developed and rigid. TFY,S and the "humans = monkeys" memeset would go over well, I think.

Culturally, Japan has many similarities with Britain. Although we play it down these days, the rigid class system is still a big social dynamic in Britain today.

We are both Island Nations, about the same size, both with Imperial History, and Militarily Strong, with rich Martial Heritages.

Both slightly Insular, from being Islands, surrounded by hostile, butthurt, or resentful neighbours. Both, the Daddys of their geographical zones,

And both Economic A-list powers.
Both with a capitalist business ethic, and rich trade on an International level.

Both regarded by outsiders as stiff, and rather emotionally stunted, but socially, very well mannered.
In fact, we have more common ground with Japan, than we do with most of the rest of Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1865LycOrCo

(And yes, I know this is a song about masturbation *yawn*)