News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

あらためまして、始めまして、私の名前はジェイドです。

Started by Abbess Jade, May 06, 2010, 11:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BadBeast

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 10, 2010, 10:35:21 AM
What he's talking about isn't really class system.
I know, but it is a dynamic that both Nations still have in common.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BadBeast on May 10, 2010, 09:49:19 AM
Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 10, 2010, 08:42:50 AM
Quote from: Telarus on May 10, 2010, 07:36:17 AM
Hell, there are Japanese Rastafari kids......

not to threadjack too much, but no, there are not. Rastafarianism is, at heart, a black power movement. you literally cannot be a Rasta if you aren't black, no matter how nasty your hair is and how infrequently you shower.
Yeah, I agree with that. Japanese Rastas, are about as culturally valid as Japanese Elvis. But they obviously aren't doing out it of any cross-cultural need,
Just a fashion centred Tribalism, for all the right reasons, without all the Political-social baggage that such scenes carry in the West. Fair play to, Japan, they have picked all the fun stuff they wanted, out of Western culture, and been quite good not to pick all the shit up with it. Kudos, I say.

True enough. I suppose it's advantage of being a relatively insular society that you can pick and choose from the world's fashion plate without worrying or even thinking about the normally-attendant sociopolitical baggage inherent in such cultural subsets in the west.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

BadBeast

Quote from: Telarus on May 10, 2010, 11:19:01 PM
Yeah, that's why I said "Rastafari kids" instead of Rastafarians.

Also, here's an interesting article on Language:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/11/07/how-to-learn-but-not-master-any-language-in-1-hour-plus-a-favor/

Interesting article. And it reminds me of someone I knew, a long time ago, who claimed to have learned to speak conversational German, in about 3 or 4 hours, during an LSD Trip, in Berlin.
I could have easily dismissed it as a crock of shite, except for A/ The fact he could speak excellent German.
And B/ This article.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Telarus on May 10, 2010, 11:19:01 PM
Yeah, that's why I said "Rastafari kids" instead of Rastafarians.

Semantically, there's no difference as long as you're still using the root word of "Rastafarian", which is "Ras Tafari" (another name for Haile Selassie). However, now that I know what you mean that's probably a moot point.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Abbess Jade

This is pretty cool. I'm glad to know that my basic introduction thread turned out to be something of mild interest with Japan and culture (+ language).

BadBeast

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 10, 2010, 08:42:50 AM
Quote from: Telarus on May 10, 2010, 07:36:17 AM
Hell, there are Japanese Rastafari kids......

not to threadjack too much, but no, there are not. Rastafarianism is, at heart, a black power movement. you literally cannot be a Rasta if you aren't black, no matter how nasty your hair is and how infrequently you shower.

Just to threadjack a tiny, tiny bit more, I thought a lot about this comment, and while I agree that Rasta is, and has been always about empowering black people,  it's also about so much more. I've known lots and lots of Rastas, and they have all been quite certain that you do not need to be black, to be Rasta. The Spiritual side of their belief and faith, goes a lot further than skin colour, but there are not many white people, (or Japanese, for that matter) who  pursue this far enough to really "get" it, on anything more than a merely intellectual level.

East Coast Hustle

Oh, god, you just created a monster. I'm just gonna respond and if the OP wants this split from the thread I won't mind.

Though it had been around in one form or another since the 30's, Rastafarianism didn't really become anything resembling a cohesive ideology and begin to spread from Jamaica to the rest of the Caribbean basin until it incorporated the teachings of Marcus Garvey in the 50's. I suppose that in the most technical of sense, you could have a white rasta in the same sense that I once knew a half-lebanese kid who joined a local skinhead group, but it really doesn't make any sense. Rastafarianism is an afrocentric movement in the most literal of senses and while there is certainly nothing racist or discriminatory implicit in its teachings it is nontheless a movement dedicated to black empowerment and the advancement of black caribbean and african culture to the exclusion and rejection of white american and european culture and values.

Kai

That's interesting. I had (wrongly) assumed it was a Christianity-based religion that for whatever reason attracted white male college hipsters who listen to imitation-reggae.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

it is Christianity-based (though it's about as crazy an interpretation of Christianity as I've ever seen), but it's attraction to white hippie-types has mostly to do with it's embrace of marijuana use.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on May 11, 2010, 10:23:17 PM
it is Christianity-based (though it's about as crazy an interpretation of Christianity as I've ever seen), but it's attraction to white hippie-types has mostly to do with it's embrace of marijuana use.

And an attempted rejection of vanilla suburban life.

Fact:  Every "Rastafarian" - or even raggae fan - I've ever met IRL has been a 20-something suburban White kid.
Molon Lube

BadBeast

I would say it is Bible based, rather than Christianity based. Christianity bases it's tenet upon accepting Jesus as Messiah, and Rastas don't do that.  It's more Old Testament, than New, and places more relevance in the older Prophets, like Elijah, or Judah than on Jesus.
Also, there are not nearly as many Jamaicans, or West Indians generally in America,  as there are in Britain. West Indian Black Culture is quite different to African-American Culture, or even African Culture.
The British, when they were Slave owners, tended to keep their Slaves in the colonies, and not at home, as it were. So there hasn't been the same kind of racial tensions that there has been in America. We had hardly any West Indians in Britain until after the War. And many early Rastas came to Britain, because we gave Haille Sellasie asylum after the Italians overthrew Ethiopia. (In fact, I used to squat in Haille Sellassie's Mansion, in Bath during the 80's, but that's another story)
In America, Black Power has been a much longer and steeper uphill struggle than in Britain,  don't misunderstand me, we had a lot of racist attitude to overcome against our West Indian British Communities, but it has all pretty much been Ironed over in  the 4 or 5 generations that we have had  West Indians  here. Rastafarianism really took off during the second and third generations here,  and had a lot of positive influence in building a cultural Identity among British West Indians. It may have been instrumental in our stoner culture, but not nearly as much as you might think. From the early 70's, most white people who smoked dope, smoked Hashish, from the Middle East. But the Rastas only ever smoked weed, and had their own connections, mostly Jamaican. Weed only really became a staple here with the advent of Hydroponically grown Skunkweed. But even now, British Rastas still generally smoke Jamaican Lambs bread, preferring to leave the Skunkweed alone.
And Reggae music has always been very popular among white British youth. Even our original British Skinheads, listened to nothing but Jamaican Dancehall, and Ska, before the movement got hijacked by the National Front. Racism was not part of Skinhead culture, until the early 1980's, and even then, it mostly consisted of middle class white boys, with their own cultural issues, whilst the original working class
Skins tried to distance themselves from the political and racist element. But even now, people think that all Skinheads were Neo-Nazi boot boys, and this is simply not true. The influence of Reggae in Britain is huge, culturally, and in the music industry.And the original, spiritual Roots Reggae is still well respected and widely listened to, and there is still a big crossover between Jamaica, and Britain musically.
I'm starting to go a little off thread  here, I think, so I'll maybe come back to this later, and see how it develops.   (Monster indeed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2xshUutdQ

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 11, 2010, 10:25:30 PM

Fact:  Every "Rastafarian" - or even raggae fan - I've ever met IRL has been a 20-something suburban White kid.

I'm a reggae fan, and I'm a 30 something suburban white kid.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 11, 2010, 10:25:30 PM

You don't get good rastas outside of london, but those more then make up for the rest of them.
Sleepless nights at the chateau