News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

The art of making hamburgers

Started by Adios, May 10, 2010, 04:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on May 11, 2010, 03:57:57 PM
I'll have to read up on that -- because who the hell salts the meat, then grinds it?

Not to mention, most people don't grind their own meat, they start with it pre-ground.

People making sausage or meatballs salt meat before grinding. But then, someone who was accustomed to making sausage or meatballs would probably have already figured that out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

That's weird.  Sausage, I understand, especially if you're making links; but with meatballs, I've always started out with pre-ground meat.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on May 11, 2010, 06:48:15 PM
That's weird.  Sausage, I understand, especially if you're making links; but with meatballs, I've always started out with pre-ground meat.

It depends on how much time I have and what I'm planning to do with it, but even with pre-ground meat I find I get a better texture if I knead the salt and seasonings into the meat and let it sit a bit before adding the breadcrumbs.

I often grind my own because very lean stew meat is cheaper than extra lean pre-ground beef or bison, and also because I can add lean pork or turkey. Most of the pre-ground stuff uses the fattiest scraps.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I use my Kitchenaid (sausage stuffer FTW!) but I see the cast-iron ones cheap secondhand all the time, and you can get them on eBay, too. Well worth it!

Sir Squid Diddimus

If I had a grinder I would grind ALL of my meats that I want ground.

It's one of the best ways to prevent food borne illnesses. You know where your shit is, you can clean and sanitize every single little part of it and you know exactly what's going in it.

Mmmmmmmm. Fresh grounds meats.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like to eat raw meat, and a good way to make sure not to get sick is to marinate it in a brine solution before grinding it. I like to do a coarse grind of lean bison with onion and parsley, then eat it sprinkled with black pepper.

Adios

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 12, 2010, 07:52:33 AM
I like to eat raw meat, and a good way to make sure not to get sick is to marinate it in a brine solution before grinding it. I like to do a coarse grind of lean bison with onion and parsley, then eat it sprinkled with black pepper.

I know we are all different but to me white pepper has a much better flavor.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hawk on May 12, 2010, 04:20:32 PM

I know we are all different but to me white pepper has a much better flavor.

Black pepper is the whole berry, and white pepper is just the seed. I can see the appeal, as it has a crisper flavor, but I like the fullness of black pepper.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I'm not a fan of white pepper, and Nigel I'd eat the shit out of what you just described right thuuur.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on May 12, 2010, 04:52:40 PM
I'm not a fan of white pepper, and Nigel I'd eat the shit out of what you just described right thuuur.

:thanks:

Adios

Let's elevate the hamburger to hamburger steaks. With mashed potatoes and brown gravy. When I prepare this I don't add the chopped onions before making the patties. I prefer to saute them in an red wine and butter with crushed garlic and whole button mushrooms for a topper.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hawk on May 12, 2010, 04:58:47 PM
Let's elevate the hamburger to hamburger steaks. With mashed potatoes and brown gravy. When I prepare this I don't add the chopped onions before making the patties. I prefer to saute them in an red wine and butter with crushed garlic and whole button mushrooms for a topper.

Mmmmmm!

Triple Zero

Do you put that on toast or a slice of bread or something?

Over here we have something similar and it's called Filet Americain ... :)

though if you buy it in the shop it's probably filled with preservatives, since it's raw meat after all. also it sounds like our variant has more spices and things in it than what you describe.

ah it's called Steak Tartare in english: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Sir Squid Diddimus

QuoteFilet Americain

Are you sure this isn't a pound of ground beef wrapped in bacon, battered, deep fried, dipped in cheese sauce and topped with melted butter and whipped cream? ON A STICK!

edit- forgot quote