News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

The art of making hamburgers

Started by Adios, May 10, 2010, 04:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 12, 2010, 05:32:02 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 12, 2010, 07:52:33 AM
I like to eat raw meat, and a good way to make sure not to get sick is to marinate it in a brine solution before grinding it. I like to do a coarse grind of lean bison with onion and parsley, then eat it sprinkled with black pepper.

Do you put that on toast or a slice of bread or something?

Over here we have something similar and it's called Filet Americain ... :)

though if you buy it in the shop it's probably filled with preservatives, since it's raw meat after all. also it sounds like our variant has more spices and things in it than what you describe.

ah it's called Steak Tartare in english: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

I just call mine "raw meat", but I guess it could be steak tartare. Usually there's an egg on Steak Tartare though, and capers. I am not fond of capers.

I don't like to eat mine on toast, I just eat it with a fork. The parsley is crucial.

Sometimes I make a version that's a lot more like poke, with a bit of soy sauce, rice vinegar, seaweed, and sesame oil. Totally good.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on May 12, 2010, 04:52:40 PM
I'm not a fan of white pepper, and Nigel I'd eat the shit out of what you just described right thuuur.

Squid gets the butt-flu, ITT.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Jasper

Never noticed that divet trick with beef patties.  Very very very...

Yes. 

It is good.  Mm.

Requia ☣

I usually add a garlic and minced red pepper mix to my burgers.

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on May 11, 2010, 02:53:39 PM
Check out what I read about salting burgers before they're grilled--
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html

What do you think?

The pre salted one actually looks really good, just not for hamburgers.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mmmmm this thread made me grind up some meat and onions, which I am now stuffing into a hole in my face.  :mrgreen:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

I can't remember what Payne put in his burgers but he is good burger making spag. Mmm.

NotPublished

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 13, 2010, 10:11:29 PM
Mmmmm this thread made me grind up some meat and onions, which I am now stuffing into a hole in my face.  :mrgreen:

the face hole?  :aaa:
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NotPubli on May 14, 2010, 03:28:07 AM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 13, 2010, 10:11:29 PM

the face hole?  :aaa:

YES

I FEEL SO DIRTY!

hooplala

OK, made some burgers from scratch for the first time last night... they sort of fell apart on the grill.  Is there a trick?  Did I simply not pack them tight enough?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Need more details.  Type of meat, flavorings, etc.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on May 17, 2010, 07:34:08 PM
Need more details.  Type of meat, flavorings, etc.

I basically used your recipe, except that it was ground sirloin, and I didnt add the capers.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Adios

Ground sirloin may have been too lean.

hooplala

That could very well be it, except that I mentioned this to my wife last night and she informed me that it was not in fact ground sirloin, but plain medium ground beef.  So I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he cooks with, and can't make a hamburger.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Jenne

Sounds like you needed a gluing agent, some use egg, some use breadcrumbs, etc.  I'm no expert, but it sounds like they were a mite on the dry side and that's why they fell apart.