News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Die before seeing

Started by BadBeast, May 11, 2010, 05:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

I watched Gone with the Wind and Citizen Kane last year as part of an effort to see AFI 100 Greatest Movies (I still have 5 or 6 left that aren't on Netflix).

Citizen Kane is really, really good.  It would have been better, I think, if fucking piece of shit Family Guy didn't have one of their super awesome jokes where Peter told the entire theater the ending.  So there was no mystery for me.

Gone with the Wind is impressive, and not as terrible and difficult to get through as I thought it would be.  It's not the longest movie ever - that still goes to Dances With Wolves, which is about 4 hours with the director's cut (I measure time sometimes by how many Dances With Wolves it is, just got off of 2 Dances With Wolves worth of sleep).  The personal story that Gone with the Wind focuses on I don't really care about, but the larger theme of the vanishing Old South is interesting.

I could have gone my whole life without seeing The Sound of Music, though.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

hooplala

I don't think its realistic to expect spoilers to be kept secret for 70 years.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Pariah

Everytime someone writes a list I go into a small seizure because there's always a movie that I love on there more anything.

I currently have one item on my list
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

BadBeast

Quote from: EoC on May 12, 2010, 03:09:35 PM
I watched Gone with the Wind and Citizen Kane last year as part of an effort to see AFI 100 Greatest Movies (I still have 5 or 6 left that aren't on Netflix).

Citizen Kane is really, really good.  It would have been better, I think, if fucking piece of shit Family Guy didn't have one of their super awesome jokes where Peter told the entire theater the ending.  So there was no mystery for me.

Gone with the Wind is impressive, and not as terrible and difficult to get through as I thought it would be.  It's not the longest movie ever - that still goes to Dances With Wolves, which is about 4 hours with the director's cut (I measure time sometimes by how many Dances With Wolves it is, just got off of 2 Dances With Wolves worth of sleep).  The personal story that Gone with the Wind focuses on I don't really care about, but the larger theme of the vanishing Old South is interesting.

I could have gone my whole life without seeing The Sound of Music, though.

I grudgingly sat through "Citizen Kane" about ten years ago, (grudgingly, because I was sick of being told how it was the best film ever)
because the girl who was waxing lyrical about how good it was , was hot, and I had every intention of bedding the wench.
I was really glad I made the effort, it was a riveting and engaging experience, from start to finish, and I'm not easily impressed by movies.
I can't say exactly that "It's the best Film ever made", but I can see how other people would say so. As an example of how to make a  Film, it is perfect. When I saw how long it was, I originally thought "That's too long for a film" but it isn't. There is no part of the film that isn't integral, no wasted points, all the ingredients necessary, in all the right amounts. It's other films that are too short.

It also made me think, how many other really good films are out there, that I would enjoy if I allowed myself to be persuaded into watching them?

However many it is, I'm pretty certain that "The Sound of Music" is not one of them.

(And yes, I did get the the girl, so it was a double bonus!)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Hoopla on May 12, 2010, 03:19:22 PM

Screw that!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

i never want to see the Godfather or the second one
i never wanted to see scarface either but then i accidentally the whole movie :(
and it sucked

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on May 12, 2010, 03:19:22 PM

Yeah, this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fredyjafjallajökull on May 12, 2010, 03:51:59 PM
i never want to see the Godfather or the second one
i never wanted to see scarface either but then i accidentally the whole movie :(
and it sucked

I hate Mafia movies, they make me sleep.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Thurnez Isa

I kinda like sound of music
:sad:

There's not many movies I wont give a chance to, hell though I haven't seen the twilight sequel Im sure I will eventually, and Im sure it will be "hilarious".
I guess the only movies I sometimes wont give a chance to is remakes. I generally hate most remakes. If I hear that a remake is doing something different then the original and is generally good I probably will give it a change, or if it's staring someone I'm just interested in seeing the role, even if I know the movie will be terrible - like Angela Bettis playing Carrie.
Though even remakes that are generally pretty good I have a hard time getting into if I have seen the original before hand (which in the schlocky horror genre, exploitation genre, or giant monster genre me not seeing the original is next to impossible)

There are lots of movies I would never watch again except in a form of torture - Frankenstein's Great Aunt Tillie, Malibu Beach Vampires, Death Nurse, The Crater Lake Monster, ect. ect.

I think the worse experience I've had in a movie theater is Titanic. Not because its a terrible movie, but because it's long, it's not my taste, and it just got me in trouble with my date at the time.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 11, 2010, 10:00:15 PM
Lost in Translation.  No shit.  Goddammit.

OOh yeah, good pick.

Also, Titanic, Schindler's List [seen it when I was young, no desire to watch again], Passion of the Christ, Requiem of a Dream.

I watched Audition when we decided to sort of randomly go see a weird-ass japanese movie. Bad idea. Don't need to watch again.

Agree with Freeky on the Saw movies, too. I only seen the first scene of one, where two people wake up in what seems to be a grimy public bathroom, chained to something or other and then they find a SAW of some kind and then I was like, yeah ... I can kinda figure where this is going now.

Also, the Sound of Music falls firmly within the "kinda bad but good" and "yeah catchy tunes" categories. THE HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLS ARE ALIVEEEE WITH THE SOUND OF MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSIC
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BadBeast

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 13, 2010, 07:50:04 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 11, 2010, 10:00:15 PM
Lost in Translation.  No shit.  Goddammit.

Agree with Freeky on the Saw movies, too. I only seen the first scene of one, where two people wake up in what seems to be a grimy public bathroom, chained to something or other and then they find a SAW of some kind and then I was like, yeah ... I can kinda figure where this is going now.

I watched Saw, but the first time I saw it, I missed the first 10 or 15 minutes, and for the rest of the film, I thought I was missing some major part of the plot. Then I watched it again, about a week later, and realised that I wasn't.

A bit like, "Snakes on a Plane? What's that about then?"
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Triple Zero

ITS ABOUT PEOPLE FAILING TO REALIZE THEY OUGHT TO TURN DOWN THE AIRCO SO THE SNAKES GO TO HIBERNATE SLEEP

AND THEN ITS AWESOME
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 13, 2010, 07:50:04 AM

I watched Audition when we decided to sort of randomly go see a weird-ass japanese movie. Bad idea. Don't need to watch again.

Audition is awesome, especially when you figure out what is going on, or what's not going on (wont spoil cause it takes about three viewings to figure it out).
Though marketed really poorly, marketing it as a horror movie is a bad idea. Though I got what I expected from a Takashi Miike film.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Triple Zero

I dunno if I figured it out, then. I thought I had a pretty good idea. And I agree it's not really horror because the first half is really just like a sort of mellow romantic drama soap, a littlebit dreamy like you'd expect in a non-US movie. AND THEN SUDDENLY kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi-kidi :scared:

We all agreed we needed a strong drink afterwards.

Triple Zero

And yeah, if I'm being completely honest, it was indeed a pretty good movie, IF you can stand that sort of thing. I do, however, never need to watch it again before I die :-P