News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Life of Nobody

Started by Adios, May 13, 2010, 12:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 07, 2012, 01:35:53 AM
Hi guys! Good to see you all.

Roger, if we actually do make it to Tucson will try to give you a heads up. We have learned that our plans remain somewhat fluid depending on whether or not something shiny grabs our attention.

That's cool.  My number is in your PM box.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Rev

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 07, 2012, 02:23:48 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on February 07, 2012, 01:35:53 AM
Hi guys! Good to see you all.

Roger, if we actually do make it to Tucson will try to give you a heads up. We have learned that our plans remain somewhat fluid depending on whether or not something shiny grabs our attention.

That's cool.  My number is in your PM box.

I would give you mine but I refuse to even turn it on unless I have to make a call out.  8)

The Rev

In Colombus, NM is a fantastic little cafe called 3 Salsas. The place is cute as all get out with fantastic food and it has a seating capacity of 17.

The town is only a couple of miles from the Mexican border and there are border patrol officers everywhere.

A couple of local ranchers were in the cafe and I asked them what there was to do around there besides ranch, farm or refinery work.

"Chase Mexicans."

Cramulus

Charlie!!! Great to hear from you, man! Hope things are well! :D

The Rev

Quote from: Cramulus on February 07, 2012, 04:27:12 PM
Charlie!!! Great to hear from you, man! Hope things are well! :D

Hows it hanging Cram? Things are fantastic!

Cuddlefish

Charlie! Sounds like you're having a great time. Glad that you'll be around for a bit!
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Rev

Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 07, 2012, 04:35:22 PM
Charlie! Sounds like you're having a great time. Glad that you'll be around for a bit!

THANKS!

I grew my beard back. The damn thing is WHITE!  :x

Nephew Twiddleton

We need pic of this beard!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Rev

The Rev

While we were in Carlsbad we stopped by Carlsbad Caverns. At the Visitor Center I showed them my disability paperwork and they gave me an Access Card for free that is good for every National Park or National Landmark. It allows me to bring up to 3 guests, many places for free, including Carlsbad Caverns.

That place was huge. It was so big it didn't even feel like you were in a cave at all hardly. It was worth the pain to see it. We also took a boat ride one night in Carlsbad, Lights on the Pecos. People and businesses decorate their houses along the river, some quite elaborate.

We did not go to the Alien museum in Roswell though! :D

Santa Rosa is on Old Route 66 and there was a car museum there that had some incredible cars in it.

When we left Carlsbad we went over Guadalupe Pass into Texas over to El Paso and then back into New Mexico at Las Cruces. We will never take that road again. If you are looking for the middle of nowhere with nothing around that is the exact spot you want to be. There were some interesting traffic signs though;
Last Gas for 200 Miles.
Blowing dust and zero visibility possible for the next XX miles.

Even a 30 mile drive in the desert can show many changes in the landscape and vegetation. Sound carries in the desert too. If there is a hill or mountain nearby especially so. You can hear people talking in normal tones in some cases from over 200 feet away, so you learn to talk quietly. The air is so clear that you can see forever. When we were in Pancho Villa State Park I saw a flag and after a little study realized it was the Mexican flag at the border just over 2 miles away.

The most amazing though, is the people. People seem to live slower in the desert, and they are very friendly for the most part. It reminds me of when I was a young man and we were all willing to help each other out, or to take time to stop and talk. I have learned that most New Mexicans are indeed very proud of their state and are eager to share their knowledge.

Our summer project is to get a tow car. There are so many places we just can't get to with a 34' long vehicle, so we are missing a lot of things. One place that comes to mind had just one great big sign that made me stop and turn around. 17% grade next 3 miles. In towns parking can be difficult. When we stock up for the next 21 day stay at a state park we go to Walmart and park way out in the parking lot. Here in Deming there is a shuttle we can take instead of having to disconnect and reconnect the RV every time, although we now have that down to a science. We can be ready to move in less than 10 minutes.

Next month we will start slowly moving back north easing up to the mountain region state parks. Starting in April it's going to get very warm down here. Then we will see a very different part of New Mexico. Forests and rivers, snow capped peaks and pueblos, things like that. On the 11th we are going up to Silver City for the annual Chocolate Fantasia celebration.

Several of the local winerys make green chili wine, and we are going to have to try it simply out of curiosity. Terri wants to get over to Hatch, the chili capitol of the US. Supposedly they grow dozens of types of chilis there. Can you tell we are anxious for summer to get here? When we get into the high 60's and 70's now all of us fulltimers crawl up on a rock and soak up some sunshine, like a bunch of reptiles! :D January is the coldest month here and we got down into the 20's overnight a few times. The days usually got to at least the mid 40's, commonly in the 50's and 60's though. Now we are seeing mostly 40's at night and 60's and 70's during the day.

I am charging the camera now and will post some pictures sometime today, so this is all for now.

The Good Reverend Roger

You keep searching, Charley.  America's out there somewhere.

(Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.  Keep posting this stuff.)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Rev

The Thunder Egg I found at Rockhound State park

The Rev

City of Rocks State Park formed by erosion of The Kneeling Nun Tuff

The Rev

The Rev

Tuttle Creek State Park, Manhattan, Ks.

Sugarite (Sugareet) State Park

Pueblo Lake, Co

Oasis State Park

Oasis State Park