News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Life of Nobody

Started by Adios, May 13, 2010, 12:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rev

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 09, 2012, 11:57:41 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on February 09, 2012, 01:39:40 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 09, 2012, 03:03:59 AM
CHARELY! Visit Lincoln county while you're in NM if you can! Seriously one of the prettiest places in the South West.

What town is in that county? I think we might have been there, will have to check the map after a while.
Carrizozo and Ruidoso are the only decently sized places, but it's the county Billy the Kid is from.

Terri was near Ruidoso when she and Sherry drove up to the Rez for smokes. We will be there maybe next month, after it warms up in the higher elevations. We did see the Kids grave over by Santa Rosa though, and we went through the museum.

It was 76 degrees here today and I ain't going nowhere until the heat runs us out!  :lulz:

The Rev

"Progressive Roadside Assistance, how may I help you?"

"I need a jump I think."

policy info, blah blah

"Okay, you are covered, where are you?"

"City of Rocks State Park in New Mexico."

"I can't seem to find City of Rocks."

"It's not a town, it's a state park."

"What town is near?"

"It's between Deming and Silver City."

"Oh, what is the address?"

"I have no idea, the people in Deming or Silver City know where it is."

"I still can't find City of Rocks."

"That's because it's still only a state park. I am in the middle of the New Mexico desert."

"Oh, were would the tow truck come from?"

"I suspect Deming or Silver City, whichever place you call."

"What road are you on?"

"The closest road intersection is the corner of 180 and 61."

"What town is that near?"

"Halfway between Deming and Silver City in the middle of the desert."

"Oh. (pause) What is the zip code?"

"I have no idea. Don't you have a map?"

"Wait, I found it, you will receive an automated call shortly telling you when the driver will be there."

"Thank you."

Well, it turned out it was the starter that I replaced once we got back to Deming. That conversation was pretty fun though.

The Rev

Ole Hank sang about it in a sad country song, many have been forsaken on it, never to return.

Don't kill me for this, but Hank got it all wrong. The Lost Highway is a place of wonders. A place where the Old America™ can still be seen, sometimes even more than a shadow of itself, the real thing.

We have discovered The Lost Highway here in the New Mexican Desert and I know it exists elsewhere as well. All across this country when one gets away from the mass and crush of humanity found in the more populous areas.

Life moves at a slower pace here, like I think it was meant to. People are still friendly and are still willing to extend a helping hand.

These places and people have been forgotten by most. When one is fortunate enough to stumble on one of these places, it isn't a Stephen King experience, but more of a Mayberry experience. Now, I'm not saying everything is perfect, not at all. Poverty, real poverty is abundant and many of the people are the elderly. Some of the towns are in the slow, painful process of drying up and blowing away.

We could buy land here for as low as $200.00 an acre, but we no longer desire to be owned by those kinds of things. So one day I suspect the cactus and snakes will fully reclaim what they have grudgingly been sharing with us.

You may ask why this is happening. The answer is simple, the young are leaving, ever searching for greener pastures in the form of jobs, doing what they can to break the cycle of poverty. Not that it makes them any happier, but a full stomach can help to make it bearable.

So we enjoy the beauty of the land and the beauty of the genuine smiles of the people, loving being a part of it, while mourning it's passing.

One day we will disappear as well, and sadly, some will say we have been taken by The Lost Highway. Nothing would be further from the truth. You see, we  have willingly given ourselves to it, out of love.

Now if they would only put the steel guitar back in country music, along with the country.

rong

I genuinely hope you can get to the U.P.
It is reminiscent of this lost highway you speak of, 'cept there never really was a highway to begin with.  Just trees.  More trees than you can fathom.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Rev

Quote from: rong on February 13, 2012, 09:50:49 PM
It is reminiscent of this lost highway you speak of, 'cept there never really was a highway to begin with.  Just trees.  More trees than you can fathom.

U.P.?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 13, 2012, 10:53:48 PM

U.P.?

Upper Peninsula, MI.

They are a hairy people, who live entirely on a diet of raw smelt and spam.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Rev

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 13, 2012, 11:53:21 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on February 13, 2012, 10:53:48 PM

U.P.?

Upper Peninsula, MI.

They are a hairy people, who live entirely on a diet of raw smelt and spam.

Ah, the Yeti.

Rong, I need lots of road for this beast! Flat road. Ask the right rear scissor jack, if you ever find it, I sure can't!

The Good Reverend Roger

Charley, while you've been gone, country music has descended into a never-ending series of half-assed female vocalists who sound like they're on Quaaludes.  I blame you. 

Seriously, this shit is AWFUL, to the point where I have erased the local country stations from my presets.  I called up the Tucson channel and asked them for a little Johnny Cash, and they said "Who?", then laughed at me and played Taylor Swift for 3 fucking hours.  And it was ALMOST A RELIEF.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Rev

Rock is dead, country has morphed into something I can't recognize, and the other music is just noise to me.

I blame Taylor Twit and the people in charge.

The Rev

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 14, 2012, 02:44:37 PM
Rock is dead, country has morphed into something I can't recognize, and the other music is just noise to me.

I blame Taylor Twit and the people in charge.

Taylor Swift is the LEAST of your worries.  Turn on a standard country station, now.  They all sound like Gretchen Wilson on morphine.  It's fucking hideous, and Nashville should be DESTROYED FROM ORBIT.  I mean, all the execs are actively looking for this shit, and the bars are full of clones of this crap looking for a leg up, and they even killed Big & Rich on their SECOND FUCKING ALBUM, just like they infected Hank Williams Jr back in the late 80s or so.

Nashville kills everything it touches.  It is a hideous fucking place that should have millions of ticks dropped on it from a great height.  Let the bastards deal with an infestation like that...It would at least keep them from fucking up my radio station.

Triple Zero

That's a glorious beard!! (got a bigger version of that pic? I like seeing the invididual hairs)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 14, 2012, 05:51:49 PM
Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 07, 2012, 05:20:56 PM
We need pic of this beard!

Do your worst, fucker.

HOLY SHIT!  GIVE BACK WILLIE NELSON, OR WE SEND IN THE DRONES!

Nephew Twiddleton

Damn Charlie! I'm going to have to think this one over....
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS